NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ConanTheLibrarian

Good, cheap, third party controllers

The title might be a contradiction in terms, but I'm looking for a new controller. My official Nintendo one appears to be on its way out, the grey analogue stick seems to have a life of its own and much unplugging of the controller and pulling at the grey analogue end and pushing it back in until it clicks doesn't appear to remedy the problem.

To add to this a controller which came free with my 'Cube doesn't appear to be working either. With the X button not responding long enough for me to get a decent shot on goal in Virtua Striker. The aforementioned controller is a "GC Force Pad" (it has the word "Venom" written in a black border at the top of it).

So, to my question, could anyone reccomend a cheap third party control pad that will do the job required of it?. It doesn't have to be anything special, just one which works and will do what is required of it.

In my experience, third-parry controllers just don't cut it. They might not be as cheap as you would like, but you can pick up second-hand official controllers from GameStation and the like for between £10-15. You could also try eBay, but I think it's better to be able to get a feel for the controller before handing over your cash.

• Like 1

One word.

Wavebird.

I'll second that. Seriously, 3rd party pads on any console are usually nowhere near as good as the official ones. The feel of a Nintendo pad is unrivaled. You could probably pick up a cheap second hand wavebird now, surely?

I know that 3rd party ones generally aren't a patch on official ones, but I also know that I'm tight with money :grin:.

Shall probably shop around and take a look on E-Bay. Some Wavebird's are around the £10.00 mark at the moment, whether they will finish at that I don't know.

I also can highly recommend the wavebird controller.I paid about £20 to import platinum wavebirds from US sellers on eBay in the past(on three different occasions now), so I guess it might be possible to get a standard grey one for about £12-£15 with postage.

I also had a Venom controller with my cube (only bought a platinum pak about 12 months ago from gamestation, and it was free, i ususally avoid third party accessories) and have to say i found it uncomfortable compared to the official one.

Wayner.

4gamers products=crap

There is a GC pad that you can buy from game but I've found that it powers down my cube. very strange indeed.

Okay....I think everybody agrees that 3rd party controllers are complete crap. So yeah, I agree with whoever it was (sorry) that said you should try a 2nd hand official one.

GAME memory cards rule though, they don't corrupt easily like most 3rd party ones, and are HUGE (as in the amount of memory haha)

I have had the same experience with the analogue sticks. Two of my controllers have been made useless by it, I think it's caused by over use of them, mainly with 'smashing' them in games such as Smash Bros.

my first controller i got with my gamecube is working fine but sadly the protective wire is coming off so its dangerous. All 3rd party ones are pretty crap, well mainly analoug sticks, you cant move it slightly, you either push it all the way or not at all, wish dosent matter on some games, but on games like super monkey ball its annoying. And yeah i got a cool memory card from game, cheap, had TONS of memory, And it dont corrupt easily.

official pads RULE! lol

buy a second hand one

my first controller i got with my gamecube is working fine but sadly the protective wire is coming off so its dangerous

Just put some ducttape around where it's comming off. That's what one of our Megadrive controllers has.

My Gamecube original controller broke on the analog, it is lose and goes up always and my unofficial one melted. I got a Wavebird after that and it was awesome.

There realy is no good third party controller.

Edit: And to the 4Gamers controller comment, which is my melted controller, it does strangely screw with my games. On Tales of Symphonia it goes at a very fast speed when running downwards. Wierd.

my first controller i got with my gamecube is working fine but sadly the protective wire is coming off so its dangerous.

It certainly won't be dangerous. I seriously doubt it's any more than 12v. infact the only dangerous bit of a Gamecube would be the transformer. After that it will be low voltage.

It certainly won't be dangerous. I seriously doubt it's any more than 12v. infact the only dangerous bit of a Gamecube would be the transformer. After that it will be low voltage.

You might, however, get a dodgy connection.

Am I the only one who has never had more trouble with a 3rd party controller than an official controller?

I'd look out for anything made by Madcatz. They're usually OK.

My Gamecube original controller broke on the analog, it is lose and goes up

Yeah, they go all loose n sort of lean ever so slightly so they're not in a fixed position. One of my controllers made things always go up, on to the right (the Smash bros. days caused that 1 i think)

I also think violent stick moving in beat-'em-ups (or any other games, maybe F-Zero?) causes the sticks to click if they aren't used a bit 1st. My Wavebird (which was use on Soul Calibur II first) And my green controller (1st used on Naruto something Ninja Taisen 3) both sort of click when you move the stick a certain direction. It's not really noticable during gameplay, I've just noticed they do it.

do they still do those "competition pro" pads these days? they made good n64 pads as i recall, haven't seen any cube pads myself tho.

best off getting an official pad really. they're far better.

Sign in to follow this