NEurope
DiemetriX

Official Nintendo FAQ Hints at future DVD Playback

An Official Nintendo FAQ implies that a DVD playback enabled Wii is to hit the market in the future. A question is asked whether the Wii console can play music CDs and DVDs to which they respond that consoles released in 2006 will not have such a feature. The mention of the year 2006 has sparked speculation that future 2007 made models may be able to playback DVDs.

quote:

Q: Can the Wii console playback music CDs and DVDs?

A: The Wii console released in the end of 2006 does not have the feature to playback music CDs or DVDs.

source: http://wii.nintendo.com/wii_faq_other.jsp#q6

--

Lets hope they come in black :) Cause I'm in the mood for a second Wii.

I really dont see the point in this. You can walk into any supermarket now and get a DVD player for like £20.

I really dont see the point in this. You can walk into any supermarket now and get a DVD player for like £20.

Not every one wants all extra wires and shit every where though.

I thought that Nintendos intent to bring out a more expensive DVD playback model was well known?

I have a DVD player on the other side of my TV from my Wii, I have another one hooked up to My other TV and I have a PowerBook G4 that can play DVDs. I don't care about this much.

If all it needed was a channel I wouldn't mind but an additional perephrial is just taking the piss.

THAT'S NOT EVEN THE POINT. WHO THE HELL DOESN'T HAVE ONE? I HAVE FIVE IN MY HOUSE.

If theres some kind of downloadable channel for a fiver, I think I'd use it. Currently I use my 360 for DVDs, and it's rather loud, and apparently it can wear out eventually. The Wii on the other hand is very quiet and as far as we know, doesn't break too easy :p

I might buy the Japanese version, if it compares to the regular Wii as the Panasonic Q thing did to a regular Cube (looking a whole lot slicker that is), then I'll be able to play import games as well. I currently don't have a DVD player in my room, so this would be convenient (although I really should take my "real" DVD player to a service).

I still have to watch dvds on my ps2. But I'm not buying another wii to watch dvds. Nintendo should've stuck it on the original instead of screwing over the big fans who bought a wii straight off the bat.

That's business though I guess, my brother bought a DS when it came out and then resented nintendo for releasing the DS Lite afterwards.

Don't all of your computers have DVD drives where you can (providing you have the required software) watch, rip content directly from the DVD disc whether it be stills or actual footage at your pleasure, hence eliminating the need for a DVD Wii in the first place?

Don't all of your computers have DVD drives where you can (providing you have the required software) watch, rip content directly from the DVD disc whether it be stills or actual footage at your pleasure, hence eliminating the need for a DVD Wii in the first place?

My pc does and so does my laptop. But i would rather watch a dvd on my tv. my dvd player is about fooked so it would have been nice if the wii did play dvds. Personally i would rather have paid £200 and had a dvd playing Wii

Convenience and multiple usage of any item is becoming the future and businesses are already pushing mobiles that can do EVERYTHING EVAR!! and M$ and Sony have both constantly been pushing their consoles as entertainment devices. Surely the "more" a console can do then the more value it has in our home entertainment setup. The wii can view your pics, check the news/weather and Nintendo have pushed on this hard, promoting multi use of the Wii console (a far cry from their old stance of a game platform only). Therefore I was shocked the DVD playback was skipped. Yet the Wii was a big risk. Price point was important to Nintendo during development. That's not relevant anymore: Now how about if the coloured Wii consoles all included DVD playback in the future? More bang for your buck. And a price drop isn't needed neither. Nintendo are clever businessmen. Only time will tell with the Wii. It would (ideally) be better with a channel update though. Yet the recent comment seems to dispel that becoming a plausible reality.

2 Questions:

1) Can a channel update as drastic as to 'alter' the disk drive be done?

2) What disks does the Wii actually use? (Are they just specially encrypted DVD's?)

But personally, I would welcome the change: Just for ease of use. It's just not worth shelling out for all over again.

Doesn't one of the Wii mod chips allow DVD playback without altering the drive itself?

Surely that means that software could allow DVD playback.

Wasn't the original idea to release the software seperately in the form of a dongle (USB stick or similar)?

I can see them including DVD playback in a "new" model for £180, and release the software on the Wii Shop for 1500 Wii Points for those with the "Old" model.

THAT'S NOT EVEN THE POINT. WHO THE HELL DOESN'T HAVE ONE? I HAVE FIVE IN MY HOUSE.

Hey, I only have a half working VHS-player, stop taking things for granted.