NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dannbrownn

Whats the worst thing about the Wii?

The thing I hate most about the Wii right now is the fact that I have to wait till FRICKIN' 2008 for Brawl!

Other than that, I miss some good games. We're still waiting for the big sellers from Nintendo (Galaxy, Prime, Brawl etc.) and have so for a long time now. Add to that the fact that third party developers haven't realized the Wii's amazing potential yet. Let me sing a song about how I feel:

How many games does it take till they know

that the Wii is a box full of fun?

How many years dare they wait till they know

their chance with the Wii is long gone?

How many faults from the big S do they need

before they come out in the sun?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind

- the answer is blowing in the wind.

Hmmm, nothing's perfect, so here are my complaints:

1. No HD. In this day 'n age that's a downright crime.

2. Way too many minigame-games.

3. Way too many substandard games.

4. A lot of third-party-developers are interested... but not eager to develop.

5. Bright colours. I love 'em, but does every single game have to be all rainbows and sunshine?

6. Lame PS2-ports... Why bother porting bad games from PS2, but not Okami, e.g.?

And not directely Wii-related:

7. The absolute abominable marketing on Nintendo's part. But then again, when was it ever. ;)

8. The general lack of vision for the future by Nintendo.

9. Nintendo Europe HQ is located in the deepest dungeon of Gamer's Hell. Fact. You want proof? Trauma Center and Super Paper Mario to name but two.

Hate bad ports? Don't buy them. If people didn't, they'd go away.

Hate bad ports? Don't buy them.

And what makes you think I do buy them? ;)

They will always sell, I fear. But why do it always have to be ports of crappy games? If I look at the Wii-shelves, Roughly 2/3 is made up of this stuff. The PS3 has it's fair share of ports, badly as they may be, (I'm looking at you Ubisoft), but atleast they are relatively bad ports of (very) good games.

And not directely Wii-related:

7. The absolute abominable marketing on Nintendo's part. But then again, when was it ever. ;)

8. The general lack of vision for the future by Nintendo.

9. Nintendo Europe HQ is located in the deepest dungeon of Gamer's Hell. Fact. You want proof? Trauma Center and Super Paper Mario to name but two.

What planet are you on mate? You can't turn on the TV without seeing a Wii or DS advert, at the moment I'm being bombarded by the Pirates of the Caribbean ads. But I've seen ads for Wii Sports, Wario Ware, Cooking Mama, Trauma Centre and Resident Evil 4 to name a few.

I personally can't remember seeing so many Nintendo ads since the days of the SNES!

As for the future vision of Nintendo, all I can say is Wii Fit will be the biggest thing EVER.

That mainland-planet. ;)

Overhere I still have to see a single advert... :( Even on launchday, there was nothing that said: "Hey! Come look at this! It's a Wii! Come and get your gaming pleasure right now" But then again, the local official Nintendo-website still mentions the "recently launched Gamecube-console". Go figure ;)

But I can't agree about Wiifit. Sure, it's innovative and will have it's fair share of well-deserved success, but the next great revolution of gaming, let alone the biggest thing ever? I really can't see that happening.

Still, Nintendo is doing great, no doubt about that! :smile:

It officialy is the power of the console that lets it down the most.

But that isn't something I really care about. I think wii golf and tennis are beautiful games as they are.

It officialy is the power of the console that lets it down the most.

But that isn't something I really care about. I think wii golf and tennis are beautiful games as they are.

Problem is, it keeps superficial, narrow-minded players and (even worse) developers away. Some do try, but not very hard. It seems like many people still see the Wii as a gimmick, and even Microsoft has said that "when kids get older they would want a real console". There you have it. The Wii is not a real console. It's just something for the kids. The cool kids have either got a 360 or a PS3. Can you see what I'm at?

DanBrownN, the amount of conviction and adoration you speak with when talking about the Wii, is almost terrifying.

I am told that all the time! lol I am hardcore!

Anyway, there are a few interesting idea's being thrown into the mix here about developers attitudes, as some of you may remember i have made a topic on the idea or ports and remakes, it is interesting to see how the nintendo community is taking this dev support with an untrusting glance, which i think is probably wise at this moment in time.

The worst thing about my Wii is it wont accept my 360 games....although I have also found out that the 360 wont accept my Wii games either.

The worst thing about my Wii is it wont accept my 360 games....although I have also found out that the 360 wont accept my Wii games either.

That would indeed fetch the wii60 dream to life in amazing ways!

Problem is, it keeps superficial, narrow-minded players and (even worse) developers away. Some do try, but not very hard. It seems like many people still see the Wii as a gimmick, and even Microsoft has said that "when kids get older they would want a real console". There you have it. The Wii is not a real console. It's just something for the kids. The cool kids have either got a 360 or a PS3. Can you see what I'm at?

Just because microsoft said that doesn't make it true. Devs just still haven't made a true effort. The best game on the wii so far is resident evil: wii edition. Everything works so perfectly. If you take away the fact that it's a remake and pretend it's the first time you have ever seen the game then graphics or no graphics You would be blown away..

That's the kind of effort I want put in.

i thinkafter this this christmas We will have changed our minds.

The Wii's worst thing is probably the power. Nintendo's choice for not renewing the Cube's hardware not only made graphical improvement marginal, but it set it too much apart from the other consoles. I don't care they didn't go HD, but even on 480p there are still (major) improvements that could have been made. Nintendo could've had a CPU double the power, an SD graphics chip based on new DirectX 9 or 10 technology and a Dolby Digital sound chip and still sell it for under €250 in a box the size it is now. That way, all Wii games would be able to make MP3-quality visuals fairly easily, and top-notch games would have given Xbox 360 games a run for their money on 480p... More importantly, it would mean that the PS2 and GameCube ports would be much harder to pull off - it might've been more feasible to use PS360 rescources. The only real problem is that Nintendo's profit margin would be smaller and the GameCube compability might not have been 100%, which are major issues to Nintendo but not to me.

Storage. Nintendo should have spent an extra $20 on each unit for a 10-20 GB hard drive.

DVD. It has a DVD drive already. Could probably spent a few dollars extra on each unit for decent DVD playback.

The Wii's worst thing is probably the power. Nintendo's choice for not renewing the Cube's hardware not only made graphical improvement marginal, but it set it too much apart from the other consoles. I don't care they didn't go HD, but even on 480p there are still (major) improvements that could have been made. Nintendo could've had a CPU double the power, an SD graphics chip based on new DirectX 9 or 10 technology and a Dolby Digital sound chip and still sell it for under €250 in a box the size it is now. That way, all Wii games would be able to make MP3-quality visuals fairly easily, and top-notch games would have given Xbox 360 games a run for their money on 480p... More importantly, it would mean that the PS2 and GameCube ports would be much harder to pull off - it might've been more feasible to use PS360 rescources. The only real problem is that Nintendo's profit margin would be smaller and the GameCube compability might not have been 100%, which are major issues to Nintendo but not to me.

Good post. I think when you look at the PS3, you see a developer trying to push every bit of technology into one over priced mess.

On the other hand you've got Nintendo which has appeared to cut corners. But at the heart of things, I think they could have pushed the technology a bit further and given a 10gb internal harddrive that most people wouldn't have even come close to filling.

But as I said earlier, the Wii is so much fun it's easy to forget the rest when you're playing.

The extremely slow build up of momentum. I know it's there, I know it's coming, I know in a year or two it'll start to prove itself as a truly amazing system. But I have to wait.

It's like watching Dragonball Z.

The fact that it doesnt offer a decent single player experience in my opinion and the fact all the killer apps are late this year and next year.

I've sold my Wii, it had literally gathered dust as I had not played it in quite a while. I got £200 for the console and the 2 games I had, not bad for owning it for quite a few months (It was a launch console).

...what kind of dork buys a system without any games they want with the intention of waiting for the killer apps to come out, then sells it right before they do?

...what kind of dork buys a system without any games they want with the intention of waiting for the killer apps to come out, then sells it right before they do?

Did I say I didnt enjoy the games? No.

Did I decide to say the reason why I sold it? No.

You know shit. It got boring. I needed money. Kuso o tabero soshite shine.

The fact that we dont know if it will live up to its potential is the most worrying. And that the rate new games are released at, doesnt seem to have improved since the N64.

The fact that we dont know if it will live up to its potential is the most worrying. And that the rate new games are released at, doesnt seem to have improved since the N64.

The N64 had 2 launch games. What?

Just because microsoft said that doesn't make it true. Devs just still haven't made a true effort. The best game on the wii so far is resident evil: wii edition. Everything works so perfectly. If you take away the fact that it's a remake and pretend it's the first time you have ever seen the game then graphics or no graphics You would be blown away..

That's the kind of effort I want put in.

i thinkafter this this christmas We will have changed our minds.

But that's exactly my point. Developers doesn't seem to have realized the full potential of the Wii and so they don't put the effort they could into developing for it. The part with Microsoft was just to show how a lot of people still think about the Wii, and without many really good third party games and Nintendo being really slow in getting the big hits out, the Wii's reputation and thereby also its progress are indeed hampered. Of course there have been good games for the Wii, but they haven't been eye-opening enough. I fear the Wii may go the same way the GameCube did.

Thing I hate most about the Wii - those freakin adverts!

They got an academy award winning director in and made the most simple, poorly scripted laughable adverts ever that makes all Wii owners look like the Brady Bunch + one random grandparent.

They really could have tried something a bit more stimulating, even a few ads aimed towards the more serious demographic.

the main thing that I'm concerened about is that iv'e really only had 2 ''Wow factors'' for the wii so far. That being twighlight princess ( which is for the gc anyway) and wii sports. Another thing that i'm frustrated about is nintendo's lack of consideration towards european gamers. Whilst games like super paper mario and mario party 8 have been out for months in the u.s, we still don't have them or have only just had them!!

Sign in to follow this