NEurope
Ant-Shimmin

The North and South Divide

Does anyone think this is actually fact rather than fiction?

From Economy, to jobs, from Media Coverage over floods, to sports even....

Express your opinions here....

I'm in the middle ^_^

North of the south, and south of the north. It's good to live in the Midlands.

Big up the East Midlands Massive.

Although a few days ago I was invited to some Facebook group about "Why is b33r cheaper in North than in the South" or something. Didn't join as it didn't really affect me. It's the Home - Student Home prices of beer which I'm interested in.

South= richer, warmer and bigger, so south equals win.

to be honest, i wasnt really aware of the north south devide before i went to uni, but my thoughts are as follows

its possible to be rich in the north, south dont have the monopoly on that

it may be colder in the north, but we get snow, much better then sunny days, but obviously not as common

the idea that south is rich may come from having more people who've inherited money living there, im not sure. certainly it seems a bit posher, but id put that as a bad thing, don't really go for all that fox hunting eton jazz.

all in all the north or south dosen't matter to me, each one has its good and bad sides, and to be honest, i don't care were i live as long as ive got what i need, patriotism is foolish, people honestly beliving that their country is the greatest in the world, if they were born else were they would think the same.

patriotism is a dengerous game, it isn't all that far from racism. certainly the conclushion drawn from many psychology books

if you think the north or the south is better, ask how youd feel living there, and if the differences youve stated are really that great

Well with politics, its fact.

The North (Scotland in particular) are far more likely to vote Labour than Conservative and vice-versa in the South.

In the 97 General Election there were only 2 Conservative MPs in Scotland, this has been slowly increasing since. I can't remember how many there are at the moment, but it's not a lot more than 2.

The average wage in the South is higher than in the North. I had a few A4 pages of notes on this for Modern Studies but threw them all out about a week ago.

(ps. Balfron's a noob)

The South is in general richer than the North.

It's a combination of a lot of things. There is a lot of wealth in the South, and the North has got poorer since mining and other heavy industries moved abroad.

If you don't think a North South divide exists check an election map, and see where the Conservatives have their seats in Westminster. Include Scotland as the North.

Decent large house in North > Piddling house in South for the same price.

Pint price North > Pint price South.

Thats my take on the situation anyways.

The preferable from my pov would be to work in the South and live in the North.

I'm in the North East so I'm better.

your part of gods people my lad, kind of like the spartans of england.

some say the geordies are decended from chuck norris himself.

thats how hard we are.

I'm in the North East so I'm better.

You are?

There is a divide pretty much. I doubt its anything to worry about though. Everything's expensive in the south, but cheaper in the north. But the increase in wages reflects this. The North has character though ;)

I used to live in the south (8 years), and now I live in the north (another 8 years).

As soon as I moved up here I got "oooo posh boy" etc. Now when I go down their I'm assumed to be poor etc.

It's all utter bollocks. It's just a few miles difference.

You are?

There is a divide pretty much. I doubt its anything to worry about though. Everything's expensive in the south, but cheaper in the north. But the increase in wages reflects this. The North has character though ;)

Shit, I'm so not good with a compass. Ha I just owned myself.

There isn't really that much of a difference to be honest. South is slightly richer, although the difference isn't as much as over countries such as Italy.

I agree with that Conservative bit...

Very rare to find staunch Tories around up North...

There isn't really that much of a difference to be honest. South is slightly richer, although the difference isn't as much as over countries such as Italy.

Yeah, with Italy, the economy is almost unheard of in the South, but in the North, (cities like Rome, Milan, Torino and Napoli), Italy seems like a developed country.

it is. its not 3rd world is it?

Just because a country is not developed, does not make it third world. Take Mexico, for example. It's a developed (enough) country, yet its still classed as third world. And the same goes for India.

Just because a country is not developed, does not make it third world. Take Mexico, for example. It's a developed (enough) country, yet its still classed as third world. And the same goes for India.

well, actualy 3rd world countries are now called developing countries for political correctness, so yes it does make a country 3rd world if it is not developed, as it is in the act of developing.

key stage 3 geography finaly came in usefull.

I'm in the middle ^_^

North of the south, and south of the north. It's good to live in the Midlands.

I'm in this predicament.

Northerners: Don't call us Southerners.

Southerners: Don't call us Northerners.

I'm as extreme north as you can be in the UK basically.

Its such a nice place here, our summers aren't that hot, we get awesome winters apparently, lots of jobs, amazing people that are friendly, theres literally ZERO crime... apart from the rampant drugs problem! Only downside is the god awful accent! :p

Having been pretty much top to bottom of the UK, i seriously prefer the North to the south.

But i'm probably biased, i've lived in the North of England most of my live.

Loads of comedians rip it out of the north. Many a joke is based on the Geordie persona

of course the south is richer: the Tories ruthlessly crushed the economic foundation of the north under their fucking jack boots during the 80s. That's still having a massive effect on us.

Well i live in the east midlands (Closest town being Mansfield) but talking to most people it is usually classed as "up north".

I hate where i live, as the north is (was) known for mining. And as the pits closed, jobs were lost and towns (Like the one i live in) went crap. I'd have a guess and say more people are on benefits in the north than the south.

The only thing that my town has going for it is:

"The town is the head quarters of Sports World International, the UK's largest sports clothing and accessories retailer."

Which got some people working again, however most of the jobs went to the Polish who came with it.

I'd also say the south has more friendlier people than the north.

I'm as extreme north as you can be in the UK basically.

Its such a nice place here, our summers aren't that hot, we get awesome winters apparently, lots of jobs, amazing people that are friendly, theres literally ZERO crime... apart from the rampant drugs problem! Only downside is the god awful accent! :p

Having been pretty much top to bottom of the UK, i seriously prefer the North to the south.

But i'm probably biased, i've lived in the North of England most of my live.

Yeah, you're biased. Otherwise you'd know south pwns north.