NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Metroid!

Damn, shit sounds tight.

Which format can I get this on?

Wii and Wii U. And SNES. :heh:

Wii and Wii U VC.

Edit: oops, rookie mistake, didn't know there was another page :p

Disclaimer: we don't support the suggestion in the post above!

Wii and Wii U VC.

Edit: oops, rookie mistake, didn't know there was another page :p

Disclaimer: we don't support the suggestion in the post above!

Why not? It's perfectly legal. Oo

Why not? It's perfectly legal. Oo

An emulator might be legal, but the roms are not. So what's the point?

An emulator might be legal, but the roms are not. So what's the point?

As long as you own the games you're not hurting absolutely anyone. That should make it right in just about anyone's eyes. Which is all I care about.

And you can have legal ROMs, you just have to extract them yourself... but that's obviously bullshit as you'll be extracting something identical to what's already out there, so it's completely pointless.

Maybe so, but you said that emulation is "perfectly legal". No it's not, just the opposite. Doesn't matter if you own the game or not, but unless you make the copy (rom) yourself, it's technically illegal to download one copied by someone else.

Is this the bit where you have to run across that room? You actually have to hold down the run button or you can't get across.

Maybe so, but you said that emulation is "perfectly legal". No it's not, just the opposite. Doesn't matter if you own the game or not, but unless you make the copy (rom) yourself, it's technically illegal to download one copied by someone else.

One can just as easily say it's technically legal as long as you make the copy yourself, we're just arguing semantics, here...

The bottom line for me is that "the law" is only worth obeying when it makes sense, and in this case, it makes absolutely no sense. I own Super Metroid for the SNES and for the WiiU. I could make a rom myself, but why bother if it'd be 100% equal to the ones floating around on the web?

I'm not a fan of bending the law to fit one's beliefs (I always wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle, even though I wouldn't if it weren't mandatory... because while I disagree with the law, it makes perfect sense), but this is clearly a case where "the law" serves no other purpose other than to unnecessarily complicate a straightforward situation. When the law becomes nothing more than an encumberance, I refuse to obey it and have no qualms about doing so.

It's quite possible (and easy) to do it 100% legally, but I'll never bother to do so.

We're sidetracking the discussion a bit, though...

Ugh. An hour in and I am stuck as hell. Can't go anyway. In Brinstar.

I love the smell of Super Metroid in the afternoon.

• Like 1

Soooooo gooooooodddd.

I just got the x-ray beam but I think ive only killed one of what I assume are foyr main bosses.

Am I on track?

Am I on track?

Sounds like it. The X-Ray beam is not actually necessary to progress (first time I played, I only found it near the end of the game :heh:), but it sure makes it easier.

IMG_20140510_163643.jpg

One day I will get a boxed version, the Japanese boxart is amazing, but this will do for now.

Have Nintendo ever re-released this on anything but VC? I can't imagine that they'd leave a game this classic to fester in obscurity for people who want to legitimately own it (not everyone is going to know or be savvy enough to emulate it). If they haven't, it's fucking boggling, considering the amount of re-releases LTTP and Super Mario World have gotten.

Nope. The only games that got ports/updates was the original and the first 2 Prime games.

Shame really as Metroid II would have benefited greatly from a Zero Mission style upgrade.

Shame really as Metroid II would have benefited greatly from a Zero Mission style upgrade.

I'm still waiting for this to happen. Would absolutely kill for a Metroid "Trilogy" remake of the first three games: The original/Zero Mission, II and Super Metroid.

Hnnnnnnnnnngggg.

I'm not usually one for remakes or re-releases. But, this would be unique and very much appreciated.

Yeah, but Super Metroid doesn´t really need a remake does it? Zero and Fusion pretty much are already based on Super's style.

Had an... interesting experience playing this over the weekend on my Super Famicom, the Crocomire boss kept glitching after I beat it and the map wasn't loading correctly so it was just looping but the cutscene where the wall breaks would still trigger if I went left. The doors were either gone or didn't work and I was able to reach the Energy Tank even though I don't think I should be able to at that point (but wasn't able to collect it).

y4mZ4FJm9ls9EJkrC0jzYQc20hlzFDCexLZOZ6lZ

It was also playing random sound effects while playing as well, it it would make the sound effect when you take damage despite no enemies being nearby. :eek:

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that'd a cartridge-based glitch if ever I saw one, I've never seen anything like that happen in the Virtual Console versions of Super Metroid. :D

Then again, I don't think I've played the Super Famicom version, it could also be unique to that version perhaps?

Even so, it would still be a hard glitch to trigger again I'm sure, it's pretty cool either way so thanks for sharing, Ike. :)

Damn... I want to play Super Metroid again now.

On 05/11/2014 at 7:42 PM, Fierce_LiNk said:

I'm still waiting for this to happen. Would absolutely kill for a Metroid "Trilogy" remake of the first three games: The original/Zero Mission, II and Super Metroid.

Hnnnnnnnnnngggg.

I'm not usually one for remakes or re-releases. But, this would be unique and very much appreciated.

Metroid Samus Returns is a remake of Samus II. As for Super Metroid I've just rebought it on Wii U after realising I never completed it. Frustrating thing is it's on my Wii but Eshop doesn't recognise I already own it so had to rebuy. Just got the Ice Beam and Speed boots, only killed Kraid so far. Love the music

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ViPeR said:

Metroid Samus Returns is a remake of Samus II. As for Super Metroid I've just rebought it on Wii U after realising I never completed it. Frustrating thing is it's on my Wii but Eshop doesn't recognise I already own it so had to rebuy. Just got the Ice Beam and Speed boots, only killed Kraid so far. Love the music

That was in 2014, duuuuuude. :D

I haven't touched our 3DS or WiiU in about 2 years. Haven't even bothered buying a Switch!