N-Europe

Super Metroid!

• 3 months later...

After a long absence, I'm back into this.

I've found possibly 2 issues with the game that I can think of. Well, they're somewhere between non-issues and minor problems.

Wall Jumping. On the few occasions where you use it/or seemingly need to, maybe I arrived at one part earlier than I should have: I hate it. Hate the wall jumping to hell. :(

The other is that it's not always obvious where you need to go. Well, maybe obvious is the wrong word, but as far as I can tell, there's no sign-posting at all in this game. It's both a good and a bad thing. It's great because you have to use your head (and the map) to figure out where you might need to go next. It's bad because you might spend a considerable amount of time using your head (and the map).

It's fucking awesome, though. Literally the only two "issues" I have with the game. Why Nintendo never released an N64 and DS Metroid (not Hunters) is baffling...

Have you ever completed Super Metroid, Fierce Link?

I agree about the wall jumping. It took me ages to learn that. Absolutely ages. And yes, I couldn't disagree with your comment about signposting either.

It's a great game, but I enjoyed the GBA Metroids more. I was expecting something massively above both of them, but I didn't think that was the case. Great sprite animation though. It's always great to see what the SNES could do!

Oh, please can we have a 2D Metroid on the 3DS? :)

I've already posted on the forum before about my Super Metroid data disappearing towards the very end of the game so I won't go into it again :heh:

The point I want to make is that after the frustration of losing my progress, I instantly went back through it all again (much quicker than before :indeed:) and actually enjoyed it even more partly because I knew where I was going :hehe:

For me, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are the highlights of the serious, but I'm impressed by how good the original Metroid is feeling on the 3DS :smile:

Have you ever completed Super Metroid, Fierce Link?

I agree about the wall jumping. It took me ages to learn that. Absolutely ages. And yes, I couldn't disagree with your comment about signposting either.

It's a great game, but I enjoyed the GBA Metroids more. I was expecting something massively above both of them, but I didn't think that was the case. Great sprite animation though. It's always great to see what the SNES could do!

Oh, please can we have a 2D Metroid on the 3DS? :)

I've never completed it before. Played it a few times and found it a bit too hard when I was younger. Same with A Link To The Past. I actually played that many, many years ago before getting stuck and putting it down. I then picked it up again a few years later, got much further, but then became stuck, again. I wasn't as into gaming back then.

I've only played Fusion on the GBA but am always on the lookout for Zero Mission. Super Metroid feels much bigger in scale than Fusion, but Fusion more than holds its own. I think Fusion feels more claustrophobic and there's better narration, whereas Super has more of a feeling of "Dread" (some of the soundtrack emphasises this).

I would actually love a remake of II, because I've never managed to play that one either. The original got a remake in Zero Mission form, so it's only fair that II gets a remake. I think it needs it.

I've already posted on the forum before about my Super Metroid data disappearing towards the very end of the game so I won't go into it again :heh:

The point I want to make is that after the frustration of losing my progress, I instantly went back through it all again (much quicker than before :indeed:) and actually enjoyed it even more partly because I knew where I was going :hehe:

For me, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are the highlights of the serious, but I'm impressed by how good the original Metroid is feeling on the 3DS :smile:

Metroid Prime is great, but it feels very different to the 2D ones, to me. I'm not sure that I connected with it as much as something like Fusion, but it's still an amazing game.

The original is lovely. The soundtrack is brilliant. :)

Well shit on my face and call me Ackbar. What do we have here? Flink having a less than glowing impression of Prime, and then elsewhere giving us shit for having the temerity to point out Other M's pretty obvious assitude? Dude, that game was made by a studio who's only good game was made by a contingent that left the studio en masse almost two years before Other M came out. Fuck me in the mouth if this isn't bullshit.

Well shit on my face and call me Ackbar. What do we have here? Flink having a less than glowing impression of Prime, and then elsewhere giving us shit for having the temerity to point out Other M's pretty obvious assitude? Dude, that game was made by a studio who's only good game was made by a contingent that left the studio en masse almost two years before Other M came out. Fuck me in the mouth if this isn't bullshit.

Wut?

Metroid Prime is great, but it feels very different to the 2D ones, to me. I'm not sure that I connected with it as much as something like Fusion, but it's still an amazing game.

The original is lovely. The soundtrack is brilliant. :)

Use your elf eyes, Legolas. :heh:

I love Prime, but I connect more with the more platform-y ones like Super, Fusion and, for that reason, Other M.

Prime is one of my top Gamecube games.

Too many buts bro. That shit doesn't need to be qualified =p

:heh:

I think it's fine to prefer one/some of the games over the others. It's the same with Zelda. Actually, it's the opposite with Zelda. A Link To The Past, Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time all have the same elements, but my heart belongs to Majora's Mask.

Prime was a technical masterpiece and I don't think we'll ever play a Nintendo game with the same amount of attention to detail as that. (seeing Samus' eyes in the visor reflection, the arm canon reacting when using the wave and ice beams, the water drops on the visor). It's probably one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

*takes advantage of the situation & fucks The_Bard in the mouth*

PS. Other M's gameplay was ace...once you get over the voice acting & "find the hidden pixel" microgames.

Those "scanning" sections were quick tricky at times, but I quite enjoyed the voice acting. That scene where Samus and Adam basically say goodbye is lovely. But sad. *wipes tears*

I'm up to that motherfucker Ridley now. I played until about 3am and I've realised that I need some more energy tanks. I've got...six. Pfft.

I'm sure if I can get two or three more I can beat him. I'm attacking the bastard pretty hard, but I die before he does. Nooo.

Once you get the space jump and then the screw attack, the game just becomes more awesome than it already is.

That scene where Samus and Adam basically say goodbye is lovely. But sad. *wipes tears*

That scene, for me was hampered by the raging thought that "They could've put a detatch button somewhere more fucking practical. And then just acknowledging it was just being stupid for "dramatic effect".

• 4 months later...

(I thanked the link, not your jab :heh:)

Excellent article, really drives home the brilliance of Super Metroid, when it comes to game design. It's really the sort of thing you only notice with an observant eye, when going through the game a second time, but it is fantastic.

And of course, it works. It's well-executed, you feel like they want you to, without a single cutscene, piece of dialogue, forced tutorial or rushed exposition. It's sheer brilliance.

There were also several aspects that he never mentioned (like detailing the initial cavern where you find the Morph Ball and Missiles), but it was hard enough sticking to his basic point without gushing too much :heh:

Ah, that makes me want to play Super Metroid again (looks at Wii...)

Whilst I didn't enjoy Super Metroid quite as much as Fusion or Zero Mission, I would like to play a slightly spruced-up version. Not a remake, just a full-res handheld version running at 60hz, maybe with slightly improved controls. This article (and this thread) actually reminds me of the few reservations I had about the game: in particular the wall-jumping (which I think they could tighten up), the "run" button (which is easier to not know about if you don't have a paper manual) and the general size/confusion of the map. In my book, Metroid Fusion fixed many of the series' imperfections.

But... I do love 2D Metroid. There's never too much story, there's loads of exploration and upgrades, and I can't describe the excitement that runs through my veins or the endorphins in my brain when I dodge a boss then fire off a volley of missiles. Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission are in my Top 5 Games of all time. How I wish gaming would get back to the sheer, instant pleasure of games like the 2D Metroids.

Super Metroid is just an incredible game. You're never specifically told where to go, what to do, whats happening, etc. You teach yourself. That article was a great read, and it really shows you just how intricately designed the game is.

I wish Nintendo could create a game like this today, because at times I'm not sure if they have it in them anymore.

I'm a bit concerned that there hasn't been anything this brilliant for a long while. Metroid Fusion was 2002 and Zero Mission was 2004. It's very personal, but I don't think they've made a game as good as Zero Mission since 2004.

Hmm, I would argue that Galaxy has to be up there. It really is something special. Other M is like a 3D version of Fusion, and I love it.

Fusion is good, but it's on a totally different level to Super. The level design in Super is...insane compared to Fusion. It's much more expansive, or rather it seems that way.

Hmm, I would argue that Galaxy has to be up there. It really is something special. Other M is like a 3D version of Fusion, and I love it.

See, I enjoyed Other M, I really did. Overall, it was a much better game than Zelda: Skyward Sword. I just don't think it excelled as much as Fusion does as a 2D game. In Fusion, all the movement is locked to the d-pad, diagonals are mapped to L, missiles mapped to R. I guess my point is that Other M made a good effort of translating the 2D games into 3D, but just wasn't as good as if it had actually been 2D.

See, I enjoyed Other M, I really did. Overall, it was a much better game than Zelda: Skyward Sword. I just don't think it excelled as much as Fusion does as a 2D game. In Fusion, all the movement is locked to the d-pad, diagonals are mapped to L, missiles mapped to R. I guess my point is that Other M made a good effort of translating the 2D games into 3D, but just wasn't as good as if it had actually been 2D.

Hmm, I found Other M to be easy to control somehow. It was very intuitive, like with the sense move and with the speed booster/spineshark. The only criticism would be that you couldn't use missiles unless you were in first person mode, but I could accept that.

The simplicity of both schemes make it fun, yet its ease of access. I found the Skyward Sword controls to be easy to use and fun, as well. But, the issues I have with that game are not related to the controls. Super, Fusion and Other M just have very interesting ways of storytelling. Gradually, I'm beginning to find the Metroid series much more exciting and eventful than the Zelda series. :hmm:

Hmm, I found Other M to be easy to control somehow. It was very intuitive, like with the sense move and with the speed booster/spineshark. The only criticism would be that you couldn't use missiles unless you were in first person mode, but I could accept that.

Honestly, I found Other M easy to control, but at the same time I think they had a hard job fitting it to the Wii remote and simply did the best they could. For instance, there were no L or R buttons. And whilst I found it easy enough to use the d-pad for movement, I simply prefer the movement locked to up, down, left and right. It's hard to explain, especially as I enjoyed it so much.

In a nutshell, I think Metroid Prime was basically the right way to bring Metroid into 3D. My perfect 3D Metroid would keep Prime's control set-up (including the lock-on, analogue control and a separate button for missiles), but have the ability to switch to 3rd-person at any time, and also perhaps stack the laser beams. It also wouldn't do any harm to borrow the level design from Other M, because it was definitely more like Metroid, to my mind.

The simplicity of both schemes make it fun, yet its ease of access. I found the Skyward Sword controls to be easy to use and fun, as well. But, the issues I have with that game are not related to the controls. Super, Fusion and Other M just have very interesting ways of storytelling. Gradually, I'm beginning to find the Metroid series much more exciting and eventful than the Zelda series. :hmm:

Me too, me too...

I've recently completed Metroid 2 and Metroid Zero Mission for the first time, thus I have now played every single Metroid game.

I have no idea why I didn't pick up Zero Mission when it first came out, the game is fantastic! I think I prefer it to Fusion, but it's pretty close. Really makes me wish Nintendo would make another 2D Metroid game, hopefully for 3DS.

Honestly, I found Other M easy to control, but at the same time I think they had a hard job fitting it to the Wii remote and simply did the best they could. For instance, there were no L or R buttons. And whilst I found it easy enough to use the d-pad for movement, I simply prefer the movement locked to up, down, left and right. It's hard to explain, especially as I enjoyed it so much.

Other M's controls were awful. And yet, almost all of the issues would have been resolved if they had used the nunchuk! The decision to shun the nunchuk in favour of just using the Wii remote on its side is one of the worst design decisions ever.

Things the nunchuk would have made better:

-Analogue Stick as opposed to D-pad for movement in a 3D environment.

-Not having to change your grip on the controller to activate first person mode.

-Being able to move while in first person mode.

-Additional buttons, allowing for manual lock-on of enemies (which in turn would mean being able to move while locked on to an enemy).

Things the nunchuk would have made worse:

I honestly don't know what they were trying to achieve by only using the Wii remote. Did they think that it would make the game more accessible to casual gamers? Newsflash: Other M sold like shit.