NEurope
Helmsly

Wii Firmware update: 3.0U/E

Do FreeLoaders still work after the Update?

Also: Is there now a setting included to automatically start games when you insert them (especially interesting for GameCube-Games).

Mike, have you noticed a difference with how it switches off in to sleep mode?

I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said, but there may be a small difference, yeah.

By the way, you're finally on the first page of my address book, RedShell, after spending eight months on about the eighth page. ;)

Hey some posters at GAF and Gamefaqs and few other forums are claiming this new update now makes the fan run while in WiiConnect24 mode...can anyone here confirm this?

This would put an end to the overheating worries some posters here have had.

Official Update List

Wii Menu

The weather forecast will now be displayed on the Forecast Channel icon in the Wii Menu.

Headline news will now be displayed on the News Channel icon in the Wii Menu.

The current time will now be displayed in the Wii Menu.

The area around the Wii Message Board button will now flash when a message arrives..

Wii Message Board

You're now able to rearrange the order of your Wii Friends in the address book.

You're now able to go into the Wii Friends registration screen by pressing the A Button on a blank spot in the address book.

Envelope message icons will now appear on the calendar only on the dates when a message is received.

Your message sending history will now be displayed in Today's Accomplishments.

You can now scroll the message text by pressing the B button on the message screen.

Wii Shop Channel

The search function on Virtual Console has been enhanced.

I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said, but there may be a small difference, yeah.

By the way, you're finally on the first page of my address book, RedShell, after spending eight months on about the eighth page. ;)

Cool! : peace:

Can anyone get any screens?
There's some here:

http://www.vooks.net/modules.php?module=article&id=12114

Hey some posters at GAF and Gamefaqs and few other forums are claiming this new update now makes the fan run while in WiiConnect24 mode...can anyone here confirm this?
Nope, mine isn't using the fan. Maybe it's something that happens sporadically? Will keep an eye (or rather an ear) on it though.

No idea. Of course, it wouldn't be impossible that Nintendo set fan work only if GPU warms over set limits.

Anyone checked to see if the swap trick still works to run NTSC cube games with freeloader?

Yeah I want to know as well :(

I guess there is only one way to find out.....

Nice update. Though while I was browsing my Wii I got a message saying the system files where corrupt. I shut the Wii down and restarted and everything seems to be working fine. Should I be worried?

It does seem to shut down quicker though.

It has some nice little features in this update!
Yeah, lots of minor things but nevertheless good stuff.

Loving how the disc slot now lights up and then fades out when you eject a disc, could be handy too if you were playing in a pitch black room and err… forgot where your Wii was. :heh:

this update made me laugh, particularly this:

'Ever find yourself interested in downloading a game, but wanting to see it in action first? We've got you covered! Check the Internet!

also 95 percent of the 'Recommended' and 'Popular' VC games are Nintendo-published.

Real smooth Nintendo!

also 95 percent of the 'Recommended' and 'Popular' VC games are Nintendo-published.

"Popular" is based on actual sales, so there isn't anything surprising how the list looks. Furthermore, "recommend" list looks like it is based on what games you have purchased, and what others with similar lists have purchased. It would be better that you could create complete profile about your tastes a'la Amazon.com.

Yeah I want to know as well :(

I guess there is only one way to find out.....

It blocks, and I confirm it because I tested it with my Wii. Considering that Freeloader and its derivates can be used to execute unsigned* code on Wii, this wasn't exactly surprising move. This should also affect Wiikey and other derivates, because they use same exploits. Sucks though...

* Read: run homebrew and eventually pirate games. Heck, even complete re-write of firmware could be possible if anybody would know the keys for the encryption.

Nope... It seems that Freeloader isn't working anymore..

You get a "strange" error message (I mean how often do you get as error message that an "error" occured? :)...

Oh well, I don't play gc games on my wii anyway, what pisses me is the fact that almost every single game is out of print here, where are new users going to bought Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, Paper Mario 2...

In this area, Nintendo's strategy is flawed since it's closing doors while not providing us with real options.

I hope that there will be soon a FreeLoader that supports GameCube games AND Wii games and furthermore be updateable (so it can be updated after or previous to a firmware-update to make it working again)...

I feel sorry for everyone who bought the Wii compatible Freeloader, it's utterly useless now and probably won't even sell. :(

Not that bad... I only have one US game which I already played through...

But I might buy US game later on for Wii... So I would really need a FreeLoader for Wii Games :)

EDIT: Has anyone tried the Disc swapping trick (I never did that one, so I don't know if I am fast enough or not)..?

just an idea here since I don't own a Wii, but is it possible to remove the firmware update (like returning it to factory settings) thus allowing you to use you're freeloader again? obviously this wouldnt be a long term solution. I think the PSP had something like that.

In any case: I think the problem that the FreeLoader doesn't load is probably just something like a blacklist (checksum or barcode or something like that) and in that case it should be easy to fix it - although I think a new disk would/will be needed...

Certainly an improvement, although I'de like a little more to play with. Maybe there could be an SDcard Channel? That might be more productive, just drop your channels in there and voila, they're on your SD card. Would save us hell of a hassle.

Also I'de love to be able to get some customization. Change the color of the menu maybe? Use your own wallpapers? Allow the Wii Remote to zap me from Diagon Alley to Hogwards? Yeah, that's what I mean, Nintendo!

Serious, though, the update took me ten minutes to install and the improvements are sufficient to be noticeable here an there. Good job, although a lot ofd improvement is to be done, Nintendo!

I'm waiting for a day or two to see how many consoles die before downloading

And you're so funny now. How many Wii's have crashed in total? Worldwide? If the number checks the 10.000 box, I'de be surprised...

It blocks, and I confirm it because I tested it with my Wii. Considering that Freeloader and its derivates can be used to execute unsigned* code on Wii, this wasn't exactly surprising move. This should also affect Wiikey and other derivates, because they use same exploits. Sucks though...

* Read: run homebrew and eventually pirate games. Heck, even complete re-write of firmware could be possible if anybody would know the keys for the encryption.

It only runs gamecube code tho. Also wikey etc operate on a differnt level.

The update is nice the digital clock is a bit ugly, I was hoping for some kind of skins update personally similar to themes on the 360.

Certainly an improvement, although I'de like a little more to play with. Maybe there could be an SDcard Channel? That might be more productive, just drop your channels in there and voila, they're on your SD card. Would save us hell of a hassle.

Also I'de love to be able to get some customization. Change the color of the menu maybe? Use your own wallpapers? Allow the Wii Remote to zap me from Diagon Alley to Hogwards? Yeah, that's what I mean, Nintendo!

Serious, though, the update took me ten minutes to install and the improvements are sufficient to be noticeable here an there. Good job, although a lot ofd improvement is to be done, Nintendo!

Speaking of SD card storage, why can't I back-up my GC saves from the memory card into the internal memory or SD cards? even if it's not direct since while in GC-mode the console doesn't know these exist, but... if the OS can detect the memory cards... I want to do more with them than I'm doing now.

It also needs the folder concept, meaning... people who buy lots of VC games instead of having loads of games channels floating having the chance of sorting them in VC-Channel, SNES-Channel, NES-channel and the like; click on them and then choose the game you want.

It only runs gamecube code tho. Also wikey etc operate on a differnt level..

I thought so also, but sometime ago someone found out that Gamecube mode actually reacted to Wii's DVD-drivers.