NEurope
Cube

Rate The Last Book You Read

I just finished The Road by Cormac MacCarthy (No Country For Old Men)

This book is ridiculously good. Set some years after the apocalypse, a man and his son travel the road to the coast in search of a kind of salvation and safety, as such exists in the world they live in. MacCarthy's taunt, stripped down prose is perfect here; picturing a world long past the brink of total destruction. This isn't a society emerging from the dark to start over- this is humanity's last howl of feral despair before the engulfing nothingness of a secular, godless extinction takes the last scattered remnants of man forever. The destruction he imagines is total and irreversible, the depths to which the survivors sink to are unfathomable but at the same time there is a kind of hopeful humanity to the story in the relationship between the man and his child that comes through like the last candle light in the darkness.

This is the best book I've read all year. I read it in three sittings.

I need to get this again, or on audiobook. Got it from the library but I read awfully, awfully slow and some bastard requested it so I left it half way through. The bits I read were wonderful though, if a bit uneventful. Book has no chapters, or breaks either. I like chapters.

I think the monotony is intentional. It's like all that's left is that scramble for survival for survival's sake alone- they're not really living for anything except life and eachother.

I wasn't a big fan.

Ultimately the ending was too convenient for me although as a descriptive piece it was fantastic at points.

Sorry to bring this back up but I think the good people of N-E should read more!!!!!

New Moon

It was just really boring. Very bland, not a lot really happened to be honest apart from the end. I'm expecting the movie to be good though. Definitely the worst in the series.

5/10

Eclipse

It's back to the Twilight goodness. This time it's picked up a lot and it's gotten back into the kick of things which I'm glad about.

7/10

Breaking Dawn

Brilliant book to end it all, was definitely a page-turner.

8.5/10

I want to read the Time Traveller's Wife, I think that would be an interesting read...

The Time Traveler's Wife

Most excellent read. Jayseven would tell you it's his very favourite read of them all.

I wouldn't go that far but it is great. A Genuinely touching romance that's weird, funny, sad, thrilling, sexy...it's got a lot going for it.

I'd have perhaps liked more of the book to be spent on dealing with the philosophy of time travel, and I felt one or two characters were criminally underwritten. Not that the book was damaged greatly, however. I had a great time reading it and I absolutely adored the prose- particularly the sheer love the author pours in to passages on literature and music close to my own heart.

World enough and time.

The Time Traveler's Wife

Most excellent read. Jayseven would tell you it's his very favourite read of them all.

I wouldn't go that far but it is great. A Genuinely touching romance that's weird, funny, sad, thrilling, sexy...it's got a lot going for it.

I'd have perhaps liked more of the book to be spent on dealing with the philosophy of time travel, and I felt one or two characters were criminally underwritten. Not that the book was damaged greatly, however. I had a great time reading it and I absolutely adored the prose- particularly the sheer love the author pours in to passages on literature and music close to my own heart.

World enough and time.

I'd agree with Jayseven, absolutely staggering read from start to finish. I was literally in tears by the end of it. Anyone seen the film? I'm almost scared to go see it in case they cock it up. Which two characters did you feel were underwritten by the way? Agreed on the lack of dealing with the philophy of the time travel though, potentially a very interesting subject to explore.

In other news, read a healthy five books on holiday this year, I'll do a brief rating of each when im less tired. Atonement was the best of the, great book.

I wanted to have more stuff from Dr Kendrick. He seemed really important to Henry before he turns up, then once he does he's hardly in it. I'd have liked to have seen more of their debates.

the note he writes for him is devastating though. My eyes scanned down the page and it hit me like a tonne of bricks.

I can't remember the last book I posted in here. I think it was the Islam one, so... since then I've forgotten what I've read.

But... the three Karl Pilkington books - awesome.

The Stand - the "extended" version which was a real good book. But the ending seemed really rushed and not that great. One of the more disappointing King books I've read purely because of this.

Cold Moon - pretty good stuff. Nothing amazing, but good.

I wanted to have more stuff from Dr Kendrick. He seemed really important to Henry before he turns up, then once he does he's hardly in it. I'd have liked to have seen more of their debates.

the note he writes for him is devastating though. My eyes scanned down the page and it hit me like a tonne of bricks.

Ah fair enough, yeah she could have looked at him a bit more. Agreed on finding out about his child too... such a stunning book.

Books what I've read of late:

Virgin Suicides - About the suicides of 5 sisters, but it's as much about them as it is about the boys who watch and obsess about them. Memorising. 8 / 10

Brave New World - Why everyones read 1984 but few have read this is beyond me. Very interesting and like 1984, it's hardly aged - 9 / 10

Time Traveller's Wife - As close to perfect that I have read. Looking forward to her new one. 10 / 10

Real World - Set in Japan, 4 girls help a kid escape the police following his murdering of his mother. Well written but angst angst angst, urgh. 5 / 10

I Am Legend - Last man alive amongst a world now populated by vampires. Cracking read, far superior to the film, nice explorations of loneliness and madness and all that 9 / 10

Drowned World - JG Ballards first novel, written about a post global warming world where London has become swamped, before global warming was really recognised as a problem. Initially tough to get through but pretty interesting, especially the protagnoist who goes abit mad - 7 / 10

High Fidelity - Watched after reading teh film, kinda felt like watching an extended cut. Hilarious, and great observations about music and sex.

"Why is failure the first thing I think of when I find myself in this sort of situation? Why can't I just enjoy myself? But if you have to ask the question, then you know you're lost: self-consciousness is a man's worst enemy. Already I'm wondering whether she's as aware of my erection as I am..." 9 / 10

Long Way Down - 4 people attempting to commit suicide meet on the top of a building and decide to form a pact not to commit suicide. Not as good as HF but readable. 6 / 10

Atonement -Fuck me this one's a pretty damn good book. The sort of book that I could imagine studying at A level but actually enjoying. Fascinating. 10 / 10

The Road - 50 Pages left to read. I have a feeling the ending may well destroy me.

I finished reading Interview With The Vampire 2 weeks ago.

Got it because I liked the film and thought "What the hell, I´ll read it"

It´s... alright but for some part but moslty it´s over 300 pages of the main character moping and sulking over his existence.

Atonement -Fuck me this one's a pretty damn good book. The sort of book that I could imagine studying at A level but actually enjoying. Fascinating. 10 / 10

It's on the A Level syllabus IIRC, but not many places choose it as the text due to the lack of material to reference for critics and so on. Not enough time ha gone by since it's release and stuff.

HP And Teh Half Blood Prince

The ending was excellent. The last 6 or so chapters were brilliant. The film butchers the overall running themes and the important messages of its source material, and I'm starting to sound like a broken record but people who disagree/think the film is good/can hold a light to the book are severely mistaken/mentally retorted/kidding themselves.

8/10

The Time Traveler's Wife

But obviously now I totally have to change the list so that something more cult/underground/classic takes precedent :P

Loving how my opinions on these matters only count just as the movie appears!!

Dan-Lies-trees!

I recently read, and probably said so in here, I Am Legend and watched all three films based on the text. I did enjoy the kinda-backwards, kinda-dated book quite a lot, but I still think the will smith movie is the best out of all of them (well- the book does have the best, most kick-ass ending).

Currently reading Just Another Empire by Mark Driver. A mate gave me this signed copy of a rather self-conscious, 4th-wall-breaking first-novel from some dude who, like with books like Ishmael, rather seems to want to push his world-view over more than allow a reader to decipher a moral; a lack of ambiguity and a rather fierce, dogged desire to be unique prevent the reader from seeping into the story, and often while he's telling his story I'm waiting for his self-referential bits, and vice-versa.

But the thing is, I could've written this. I do write like this. If anything, the book has perhaps mildly swelled my anger at capitalism and imperialism (via the rather awesomely, and aptly, named Beauregarde du Spoiler, of 17th century New Orleans and his freed-slave wife Clarissa who, in their leaderless frontier-esque town, live carefree lives until the french turn up and demand the locals to start paying the king's tax) but, *breathes*, generally I like this book for the way it makes me realise that I can write - as good as this guy. I just need to stop ending the previous sentence with "maybe. I think," all the time.

Next up: Dice Man!

Me and Dan Dare are gonna have to go on a couple of gaycore dates to see TTW and The Road, methinks. You bring the chocs, I'll bring the flowers!

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Love the way this book is written, going between past and present tense. The story blew my mind a few times, the way it all falls together.. A few tear jerker moments too :) My favourite book by far. 9/10

That's a damn good book. One of my favourites, too.

Check out A Widow For One Year. It's marvelous.

Dan-Lies-trees!

I recently read, and probably said so in here, I Am Legend and watched all three films based on the text. I did enjoy the kinda-backwards, kinda-dated book quite a lot, but I still think the will smith movie is the best out of all of them (well- the book does have the best, most kick-ass ending).

Lol I wish I'd read TTW earlier, only forced myself to get round to it so Id read it before watching the film. I wasn't just jumping on the bandwagon honest!

Will Smith movie: thought it was actually pretty good for the first halfish, though I wasn't much of a fan of how the vampires looked, didn't seem enough like real people to me, too freakish. And as you say the book had (by far) the better ending. I'll have to watch teh other two films at some point...

It's on the A Level syllabus IIRC, but not many places choose it as the text due to the lack of material to reference for critics and so on. Not enough time ha gone by since it's release and stuff.

Ooh good to know, shame our school didn't go for it, they did for Spies by Michael Frayne the other year and that's more recent - 2002 (quite a similar book as well). I don't think you really need material and critics references ect so long as the teachers are good enough.

My girlfriend's told me the school's now doing Enduring Love, which is odd as from what I gather Atonement would be far more interesting to study than EL.

true story: the ending nearly crushed me.

At last I have finished!!! Tears were shed, though ultimately the ending wasn't quite as depressing as I'd anticipated, which was kinda nice. Great book anyhows, I eagerly anticipate the film.. 9 / 10

They made a film of Time Traveller's wife? I didn't know... I supposed it's ruined, though, right?

Get Smashed!

An anecdotal look at the history of British advertising. Got it on a whim as it was £1 and quite interesting with some amusing bits of info. Would have been fun to be an adman in the 70s/80s it seems, but nowadays not so much.

I'm a terrible/lazy reader. I've still not finished Mrs. Dalloway, after getting about half-way 3 months ago. I also started A Room of One's Own, also by Virginia Woolf, same story.

And now I want to read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, but I feel I should read my other books first. I can never be arsed to read when I go to bed at the moment, which is where I do my reading mostly.

I read best on journeys. I tend to push myself until I'm knackered before I go to my bedroom, and generally would rather play a game/watch a movie, because you can do them drunk.

wolverine origins: our war

didnt like the visual style very much and the story was pretty boring.

bit of a waste of money if im honest. 4/10

Mhm I'm also a journey reader (and Journey listen-to-er!)

Il Fasciocomunista

9788804565994g.jpg

I love the film that is based on this (Mio Fratello e Figlio Unico) and saw the book a while ago for £1. I enjoyed it, but being based in Italian politics during the 60s and 70s bits went over my head so I think I may read up on the history, then give the book another read. I found Accio to be really endearing. He was a little cunt, but a loveable one. Overlooked by his large family and made perfectly clear he's a failure compared to his siblings and just constantly trying to find and define himself through different groups; religion, fascism, communism and ultimatley he just ambles through life unsure what to do. But an amusing outlook on life at times. Plus he described his nieces and nephews as "little Vietcong" which is a perfect description of children.

Compared to the film its interesting as apart from characters its a largely different story. But I liked it, kind of like an alternative universe kind of thing.

The cover (not the better one I've posted) used pictures from the film which is fine, I know its a standard advertising practice, but the back cover is dedicated to the Accio/Manrico/Francesca storyline that doesn't really feature in the book. Irked me a tad.