NEurope
Cube

Rate The Last Book You Read

With no internet or computer at home for the last week, and most of this week, I've been reading quite a few books. In the last two weeks I've read (I'll put thoughts in a spoiler box, due to spoilers)

In my opinion, the worst thing a book can do is leave lots of unanswered questions (completely different to clifhangers). The latest Harry Potter had none of that. The lack of character developemnt and constant moaning in the fist half just make the good sections feel unimportant and almost instantly forgettable.

A badly-written story...I epected better

4/10

very interesting book. It deals with the aftermatch of Star Trek: Nemesis - It really gives Nemesis a lot more depth and meaning. Some great chatacters, interesting story and a great cliffhanger. I want the next book.

8/10

OK, so it's essentially a book about a law case, but it still damned good - for some reason Crichton makes it very interesting, and of course all the technoblabble in it is ace.

7/10

I expected it to follow the film closely (well, the film to follow this book closely, to be precise), but was pleasantly surprised by the differences. Some bits are re-arranged, some locations (like the Avian dome) and set-pieces (like the T-Rex trying to get someone from behind a waterfall) from the second and third films were in the first book. Theres extra parts, too, and some scenes are noticably different. Theres more technical stuff, too.

Also, John Hammond is portrayed as someone who only cares for profit in the book (rather than the pleasant person in the film), and also dies. Ian Malcom also dies, and he never says the "Water dropping on your hand, rolling off in different ways" speach - someone else says it. He still blabbers about Chaos theory a lot. It ends by the army blowing up the island. Fantastic book, and well-written.

10/10

Deathly Hallows was my last finished book. I agree with your review.

Perhaps I should carry on with the book I was reading before I started the Hallows.

John Le Carre's The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

often namechecked as the novel responsible for revolutionising the spy genre, and with good reason: It's awesome.

The Plot follows Alec Lemas, the head of the British operation in communist Berlin. When the last of his spies is assassinated by the German head of Counter Espionage, Lemas becomes involved in a last ditch operation to stage his defection and incriminate his nemesis before he can retire.

It's a damn fine read- Lemas is a truly compelling anti hero of a protagonist and Le Carre writes with the great skill of a real story teller. Short book, too, with little fluff or a wasted page.

This is going to be a Harry Potter thread all over again :heh:

I really enjoyed it, to be honest. The moaning was all over Harry Potter 5 & 6 so I got used to it and I was really absorbed in the story. The ending was EPIC, too, although the epilogue is rather cheesy.

Red dwarf Omnibus

Last book I read and it was quite a while ago. It's basically the first few seasons of the TV series with some extras so basically it's fucking awesome.

10/10

Curious incident- 9/10

Very funny, and Hadden portrays Christopher very well. My only problem with it is that its too short.

very interesting book. It deals with the aftermatch of Star Trek: Nemesis - It really gives Nemesis a lot more depth and meaning. Some great chatacters, interesting story and a great cliffhanger. I want the next book.

8/10

Im reading that at the moment, seems ok so far but its definately got a lot of new crew to introduce which is taking quite a while

The Observations - by Jane Harris

It was a very lovely book, involving an ex-15 year old prostitute named Bessy, who is employed by a woman called Arabella as a maid. As the book progresses, Arabella slowly becomes insane, and it ends with her in an asylum in Edinburgh.

My mother recommended it to me, and kept going on about how great the ending was, but after reading it myself, it wasnt that exciting.

I still enjoyed reading it though, 9.5/10

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I've not enjoyed a book this much in years. I hardly ever read so thats not suprising, but still, I loved it.

8/10

How mumbo-jumbo conquered the world.

Very good read, very interesting. If you're one of those people who hates either fads or management-speak, then this is a book for you.

8/10

This is going to be a Harry Potter thread all over again :heh:

I really enjoyed it, to be honest. The moaning was all over Harry Potter 5 & 6 so I got used to it and I was really absorbed in the story. The ending was EPIC, too, although the epilogue is rather cheesy.

Very much agreed.

I'd give it an 8/10.

harry potter, 8.5/10 said all i had to in the last thread

crusade (forget who by)

8/10

a rather interesting book, about the crusades from both sides, muslim and christain, so its very relivant even today. the story line was well thought out but the pacing was little slow.

its the fiorst of a trillogy so i'll be getting the second in a couple of weeks.

Doesn't feel dated in the slightest. Still (nearly 70 years after release) feels ahead of its time. Brilliantly written.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Plot synopsis on Wiki...Close enough to real thing)

A solid 5/10.

Doesn't feel dated in the slightest. Still (nearly 70 years after release) feels ahead of its time. Brilliantly written.

totaly agree, my fave book of all time.

Watching the English - a very accurate and well written book on the English character, although it can be a little annoying at times with the class references and which classes do what, but it's still very interesting nonetheless. 8/10

Also:

I agree completely, I read it recently and think I may re read it soon.

Watching the English - a very accurate and well written book on the English character, although it can be a little annoying at times with the class references and which classes do what, but it's still very interesting nonetheless. 8/10

Also:

I agree completely, I read it recently and think I may re read it soon.

Interesting concept.

The black swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Great book, really makes me think, definitely changed my view on predictability. Highly recommended to everyone. 9/10

Accelerando by Charles Stross. exploded my ideas of the future and very fun to read if you're as big a nerd as me. 8/10

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Really great book, up there in my top 3. 10/10

Acid House by Irvine Welsh, very funny collection of short stories. 8/10

The gospel of the flying spagetti monster. Not very good I'd give it an average 5/10

Glamorama by Bret easton ellis: Interesting book, funny satire of celebrity life but I found it kind of hard to read. 6/10

Fear and loathing in las vegas by Hunter S Thompson. Hilarious book, you've probably watched the movie, but I liked the book better. 10/10

The Big U by neal stephenson. Satire of university life, was alright. 6/10

My Tank Is fight! by zack parsons, not as good as i was hoping, but interesting and amusing enough to warrant the purchase. 7/10

Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks my entry into the culture series, plan to read the rest. 9/10

Born to the Mob

It's a biography of Ex-New York gangster Frankie Saggio, who is apparantly the only man who has ever worked for all five NY Mafia families. It's a bit like Wiseguys (AKA Goodfellas), but they focus quite alot on Frankies betrayal and turn to FBI informat. It does have it's fair share of flaws, for example it lacks some deail and gets a bit boring towards the end; never-the-less, and interesting read. Recommended if you're into mafia and gangster stuff.

8/10

The catcher in the rye- 10. My personal favourite book ever. Ev.Er.

The Outsider by Albert Camus

Really didn't like it for the first couple of chapters, the first person heavily detailed descriptive nature of the writing took a while to get used to, but when I was it was an intense read. Terrifying closing chapters, definately recommended.

8/10

Now Wait For Last Year by Philip K Dick

One of the novels written in what is regarded as his best decade, Now Wait For Last Year features all the aspects that made PKD, PKD. Paranoia, multiple realities, mind altering drugs and loveless marriages. Not as good as The Man In The High Castle or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but still one of the best books i've ever read.

Warped and filled with brilliant concepts.

9/10

The Enemy by Lee Childs

Awesome book! The twists are so great, you never quite know how it is going to end. Jack Reacher books are so great, theres a bit of detective work, a bit of action, a bit of romance, a bit of swearing. Bit of everything really. One of my favourite series and books! And the ending is pretty great to, although I managed to predict it a few chapters beforehand =]

Definitely 9.8/10

The Righteous Men By Sam Bourne (I think :S, cba to go look)

Another of my favourite books! Its said to be like "The Da Vinci Code".. that book is crap compared to this IMO I read it in 4-5-6hours (I forget :heh:) because I just couldn't put it down!! Even though its quite a lengthy story, another book with great twists and surprises.

Another solid 9.8/10 =]

I read aboom about 2 years ago and it was brilliant. Bu for the life of me I can't remember the name.

It was about a group of teenagers growing up around drugs, one was called "Lily". Some tried to get off the drugs with meth etc aswell. The Lily girl has a kid I think too. It focused on one persons point of view though.

I'm sure it was called something like "flowers" or "drugs". (lol, both completly different words).

Anyone have any idea what book?