NEurope
Ant-Shimmin

City Stereotypes

I went on holiday about 3 years ago to Ibiza it was a nice place no faults at all, met some nice people, but met some horrible people as well. There was this family from Surrey with the man of the clan being a rather large baldy obnoxious tool. Heard my families accent and immediatly started going off on one about self pity city, "Calm Down" he said it's actually quite upsetting, to see some drunked up buffoon having such a stereotypical image of us and portraying it in such condescending ways.

Upset my Mum, little brother, upset me, Angered the father.

It's pretty annoying to see people thinking that Boris Johnson is right, we are all horrible people, bin dipping what nots with no jobs.

I don't mean to sound as If I'm not ignorant because I am in some ways but I just don't get the typical stereotypical image of people from Liverpool, I mean granted it has it's shit holes like every other city, but I love the place it's been my home for all but 4 years. I hate seeing it's name dragged through the mud on internet forums in other cities all for the sake of them still believing Harry Enfield has got people from Liverpool Down to the core. It makes me upset.

Now this is just my view on my city, what about where you live, Nottingham, London, Cardiff, what annoys you about the stereotypical views towards your home town...

Just ignore them. You can't win a fools argument after all. If some people's preconceptions were even half right, I would be a nerdy-chav-Scottish-English ponce-upper class-Irish-Jewish-Islamic extremist.

calm down, calm down *waves hands about*

nah mate, i know were your coming from. being a gerodie can be a bit annoying at time, people always seem to find it funny to do geordie accents, but to be honest, if im offended by it then i just remeber my rather niffty apu impression and think its all good.

and being a geordie has gotten me out of fights, people seem to think im hard.

People think because I'm from the country and fen that I'm inbred.

I don't get annoyed by it though because I am inbred.

theres a little truth in every steryotype like, i remeber driving through liverpool once and the first thing i saw was a group of enfeild esc scousers. made me laugh my balls off.

but then again, ive seen big fat men without shirts on in newcastle so its balenced.

Meh, seeing as I live in London, people presume you're cockney. I'm not, I have the same accent as anyone else in Southern England, like Cornwall or Kent.

Alright, gov'ner?

Fellow Londoner here though I lived in mancs for a fair few years not long ago.

Prefer London, and haven't had that many sterotypes really. Well except from northerners calling me a soft southerner! :|

Don't think Luton has its own stereotypes, we're too much of a shit hole to be recognised by the rest of the country. Unless anyone else knows something I don't.

Fellow Londoner here though I lived in mancs for a fair few years not long ago.

Prefer London, and haven't had that many sterotypes really. Well except from northerners calling me a soft southerner! :|

The south is far better than the north.

The North is freezing, has Emmerdale set there, and they pronounce their 'u's 'o'.

EG, op, mom, etc, etc.

I don't like the way because i live in London and am mixed race and wear a cap i must be out to rob someone.

Like this woman was using the cash point, i walked up behind her, i was at least 1 meter away from her, well there was this thing drawn on the floor thats like a "safe distance box", and your ment to behind that if your not using the cash point, i was a foot or so away from that, then the woman whipped out her card, and turned around and was like your making me uncomfortable by being to close, i was like wtf i wont steal your card, i don't even look like a criminal.

Meh, seeing as I live in London, people presume you're cockney. I'm not, I have the same accent as anyone else in Southern England, like Cornwall or Kent.

You do? Where in London are you from? I sound like im from south, but nowadays everyone does.

The south is far better than the north.

The North is freezing, has Emmerdale set there, and they pronounce their 'u's 'o'.

EG, op, mom, etc, etc.

true, but we don't get hose pipe bans, and we don't have david cameron.

or say grass gr-arse

call it a draw?

@thirtynine- I live in the borough of Bromley, off the outskirts of south London. Where do you live?

I agree with you on the 'robbing' part. I'm not mixed race, but all you have to do is put some gel in your hair, and old ladies especially, keep their distance. Which is always good.

@Chris the great

I never noticed that we pronounced grass like that! Yeah, call it a draw.

I'm from Newport in South Wales. As soon as people find out I'm from Wales, something to do with shagging sheep will follow.

But, we're blatantly the coolest. We're not too poncy. None of this "gr-arse" or "gl-arse" rubbish. It's "gr-ass" and "gl-ass."

Whenever i tell someone i am from Cheshire they seem to think i'm some kinda posh person? I don't know why... I was born in shropshire anyway but there you go.

Ill share one I have though, that is prolli bullshit. Why do 90% of young welsh girls say the word "Lush" all the time? Gets on my tits

Good question, my mums side of the family are welsh and they live in Cardiff. I hardly ever see them but i went down to Cardiff to visit them in January and i found that my cousins were using the word 'lush' an awful lot and i have heard some males say it too... I did ask them why they use that word and they just looked at me like what the fuck i'm i talking about(lol), must just be a normal word for them.

I'm from Newport in South Wales. As soon as people find out I'm from Wales, something to do with shagging sheep will follow.

But, we're blatantly the coolest. We're not too poncy. None of this "gr-arse" or "gl-arse" rubbish. It's "gr-ass" and "gl-ass."

Ah, Glyn from BB has the most annoying accent ever, but in general, the Welch accent is alright. Beats the Scottish one, but the Irish one pwns them all.

Living in the eleventh most conservative city in the US, people assume we're crazy patriots that post an American flag everywhere and suffer from xenophobia. Unfortunately, as Chris the great said, there are traces of truth in stereotypes and one sees such shit here very often.

Living in the eleventh most conservative city in the US, people assume we're crazy patriots that post an American flag everywhere and suffer from xenophobia. Unfortunately, as Chris the great said, there are traces of truth in stereotypes and one sees such shit here very often.

This guys country is proof that the north and south of the UK have to work together. Anyways, what city do you live in? My guess in San Diego, but I have no idea abvout American 'conservative' cities, so it could be LA. Meh, either way, the climate's Meditteranean.

Ah, Glyn from BB has the most annoying accent ever, but in general, the Welch accent is alright. Beats the Scottish one, but the Irish one pwns them all.

Thing is with Glyn, his first language was Welsh. English was his second, so he spoke a bit slow as he wasn't too confident with it. His accent is fine, just his confidence in speaking. Whenever he spoke in Welsh, he would be ok.

Irish accent ftw.

In fact, my accent ftmfw! lolz!

Dublin has 2 stereotypes. North Dublin is skangers, ie chavs. Speak with a real common inner city accent, heroin addicts, poor, very annoying etc etc.

South Dublin is posh. They speak in what is termed a West British accent here. A posh Irish/wannabe English accent. They are rich, snobby, very annoying.

Being from Shetland, everyone thinks that I have no running water, central heating or electricity.

Either that, or something like this will happen:

'So where you from love?'

'Shetland'

'Where?' / 'Oh, like the ponies?'

'err...'

actually - i would have u know - my accent rules the lot

but when people find out im from northern ireland ( when ive been on holiday) they start talking about i.r.a / terroisits and bombings

im not a terroist :( in fact im far from it!

I'm pretty sure the Brummie stereotype is that we all speak with an annoying accent (ack-sunt), are thick and moan and whinge all the time.

There is some truth to the stereotype, in that we always moan and whinge, that's because of one simple reason:

We are BRITISH!

British people moan and whinge all the bloody time! Why are we classed as the only ones known to do it?

I hate lodoners most of the type-the stereotypical ones-who judge everything geographically in its relation to london. If they had their way about 80% of the UK would be called 'the north'. And of course they're not southerners are they? nooo, london is the centre of the universe. fucking ass wipes.

I hate lodoners most of the type-the stereotypical ones-who judge everything geographically in its relation to london. If they had their way about 80% of the UK would be called 'the north'. And of course they're not southerners are they? nooo, london is the centre of the universe. fucking ass wipes.

Nice way to go in the opposite way of the topic direction.

[state your city stereotype not bash people for stereotypes]