NEurope
conzer16

2007 Rugby World Cup

I should hope so!! It's the only way they'll come out of their group! The Azzurri and the Kiwis?

Argentina really disappointed me at the weekend, in the first half at least. You guys will have no problems with them if they play like that again. Their second half display was much better and I can't believe they didn't get that try at the end!

After seeing the Scottish performance against you guys I'd be surprised if they lose to Italy to be honest.

Samoa lost to Quins and just about beat one of our ND1 clubs last night so I'm not that worried about them.

ha is it only you two who post in this thread!

Yeah - it appears we are the only 2 rugby fans! Although Fierce makes the occasional post :p

Argentina really disappointed me at the weekend, in the first half at least. You guys will have no problems with them if they play like that again. Their second half display was much better and I can't believe they didn't get that try at the end!

After seeing the Scottish performance against you guys I'd be surprised if they lose to Italy to be honest.

Samoa lost to Quins and just about beat one of our ND1 clubs last night so I'm not that worried about them.

I wouldn't pass on the Argies so quickly - they are dangerous, but I am confident that we have the strength and depth especially in our backs to keep them at bay.

Scotland are good, but don't forget that Italy have been steadily improving these past 3 years and all their progress has been geared towards this world cup and if they don't come out of the pools they will be seriously disappointed.

Scotland will have to be careful!

I think Scotland were unlucky to concede those three tries at the beginning of their game against Italy this year. Having said that, even without those 21 points... the game would have been a draw! All three tries were because Italy's use of the blitz defense and Scotland being completely unprepared for it.

It's the same thing as Pool D really, all 3 of the top contenders deserve to get out of the pool, but it'll be who can turn it on on the day.

I didn't give Wasps any hope of winning the Heineken cup against Leicester but look what happened on the day. That's my mentality re: england by the way ;)

Once England come up against a top side they will crumble. The England South Africa game will be the barometer for their championship. A win would be fantastic, a loss acceptable a demolition spells disaster.

Wouldn't you call France a top side? I wouldn't exactly say we 'crumbled', in either game.

Neither were we though. That was far from our first choice team at the weekend. And at the World cup we won't be playing with 0 support in the stands.

Okay, okay I'll give you that one. I still think that England won't do as well as you expect them to though. If you make the semis you've done remarkably well.

If we meet NZ in the QF's thats as far as we'll go, we need to avoid them until the final.

Mate I'm the most optimitic person in the world so it may not be rational but I always think England will do well. I think it will be a huge success if we reach the semis as well.

Luckily we'll only be facing Wales or Australia in the quarters, and I'd take our forwards above the Aussie and Welsh forwards any day!

Ireland have to top the pool or else you'll meet NZ in the quarters.

Yeah Ireland have the toughest draw of the home nations.

PS: can a mod please rename this to conzer16's and motion's Rugby World Cup thingy or summit similar and more funny?

Very strong team named for our last friendly against Italy - the first Ireland international to take place in Ravenhill (Belfast) for 53 years!

G Dempsey (Leinster); G Murphy (Leicester), A Trimble (Ulster), G D'Arcy (Leinster), D Hickie (Leinster); R O'Gara (Munster), P Stringer (Munster); M Horan (Munster), R Best (Ulster), J Hayes (Munster), D O'Callaghan (Munster), P O'Connell (Munster, captain), S Easterby (Llanelli), N Best (Ulster), D Leamy (Munster).

Replacements: J Flannery (Munster), S Best (Ulster), M O'Kelly (Leinster), S Ferris (Ulster), I Boss (Ulster), P Wallace (Ulster), B Carney (Munster).

Drico is out obviously so Trimble moves to outside centre and Geordan Murphy takes Trimbles place. Hopefully we won't have too many worries after the game - although I reckon the Ialian will be out to prove a point. Feckin Italians...

Yep that's pretty much your strongest team with the exception of BOD. Also hear that Stringer is a doubt for the game.

Ireland hurting from their loss against Scotland means they'll be too strong for Italy. 50-15.

Our boys have a nice rest until the world cup :) but then we started these warm up games a week earlier than most.

ha is it only you two who post in this thread!

Don't give the football thread any benefit for having the same 4 posters:)

Yep that's pretty much your strongest team with the exception of BOD. Also hear that Stringer is a doubt for the game.

Ireland hurting from their loss against Scotland means they'll be too strong for Italy. 50-15.

I'd be quite happy with that scoreline!

Stringer is a doubt indeed, minor back spasms or summit - not too bad tho, Boss is a good scrum half as well :)

Thought Boss was pretty crap last time around but possibly just an off day ;)

Game's on any minute now methinks... :) I still reckon a 30 point win for your boys.

Can't wait for it!! We need a big performance here. We need to win by at least 20.

Edit: Wonder will they play Amhrán na bhFiann or GSTQ or both or neither?

Edit: Neither it seems. Only fair I suppose.

Edit: Stupid sort of handbags in 24th minute. Italians really acting up. Ireland aren't playing well at all and Stringer was just bowled over by their no. 8

Edit: Woeful defending from Italy leads to soft Irish try. Ireland very unimpressive so far.

Edit: @70mins: I'm absolutely disgusted with the performance of the Irish team.

Italy look like they will win this game, all Ireland can do is wait for Italian mistakes and hope to maybe steal it at the end...

Our scrum is disasterous, our mauling is pathetic. We have a lack of cohesion and completeness about us and no amount of O'Driscoll will fix that.

I'm feeling very pessimistic about our pool now...

We're so flat...

This is almost our first 15 for fuck sake?? Our forwards are shite...

We absolutley robbed the Italians. O'Gara's try wasn't. But then again Italy's just moments before was a bit hit and miss.

We were so flat throughout the game, and we really underperformed.

Very worried now.

Whoops, missed all this, was waiting for you to reply.

Was a bit of a howler performance wise. O'Gara's try however was DEFINITELY a try, at no point was the ball knocked forward, it just went backwards out of ROG's hands, which is fine, he then touched the ball down. Whether the try from Trimble was a forward pass however is another matter.

To be honest, Argentina looked pathetic in their first half against Wales so I wouldn't worry too much about your pool.

Watching the Italian scrum pulverising yours was (sorry) awesome, as a forward that gets me going. Fantastic scrummaging.

Trimble looked great. As did D'arcy.

Happened to England 4 years ago though, fantastic couple of years in 2002 and 2003, then it all went downhill at the world cup, though luckily not enough for us not to win it.

And did you know the ref was a shirtlifter!

I don't know how the ref gave O'Gara's try in all fairness. You couldn't from any angle if he managed to ground it??

I reckon you could see it grounded, but regardless, it saved a lot of embarrassment. Shame though, Italy deserved the win.

Absolutely. They were robbed.

Italy's scrum were fantastic - ours just pathetic...

I'll be interested to see how Scotland do today and if they can match the physicality of the Boks. South Africa JUST won a game against Connacht a week or so ago, winning by about 15 points I think! And with pretty much their full strength side!

It just highlights the lack of REAL international quality at the moment.