N-Europe

2007 Rugby World Cup

conzer16

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah we only beat Samoa 40-3 a year or so ago. And during the Robinson regime as well!

Trust me, we'll get to the QF's and with a little luck (ie. playing Wales rather than Australia) get to the semis.

If any of the home nations aren't going to be getting out of their group, Scotland could easily lose to Italy and Ireland beating France and Argentina certainly isn't a guarantee.

Yeah Ireland definitely have the toughest group. It will be huge test for us, but there is a confidence in Irish rugby that has never been there before. Some might call that cockyness but it's a renewed self belief that on any day the Ireland team can beat anyone. We have a great back line and our forwards are huge (though not the hugest!) and we have pace, strength and depth in the centre that is unrivalled.

We will definitely make the quarters, but whether we finish top or second is to be seen.

If we finish top, we don't meet NZ until the final - and that is the dream!!!

Strettle definately out of world cup.

ARRRRGGGHHHH. Why is it only England and Wales who ever get major injuries before a competition?

Strettle, Harry Ellis, Tindall, Ward Smith, Ryan Jones, Stephen Jones, Chris Chekaj.

England 15 - 21 France

Could have and should have won that one, it was there for the taking but due to non-tackling and the awesomeness of Chabal victory was snatched at the last minute. Still, our forwards were still awesome and better than the French, even though the difference was far less than last week. Good performances from the likes of Regan, Shaw, Kay, Perry, Catt, and possibly Noon and Sackey. Lewsey shouldn't be in the 30 man squad. If you add Wilkinson at 10, Robinson on one wing, Rees and Easter in the back row and possibly Borthwick in the second row... that would be our best team and probably something similar will be put out next week.

Still more encouraging performances but our back play has gone downhill since the 6N which is such a shame as we scored loads of great tries in the 6N. Next week is huge but Ashton won't be happy with the loss one bit.

Scotland 31-21 Ireland

Oh dear, the Irish were truly crap, even though most of their players on the pitch were second choice with the exception of about 4 or 5. Hard to judge how Scotland did just like it was hard to judge how England did last week as the performances were similar. They still lack creativity in the backs but their forwards were immense. Having Jason White back has done wonders for them.

Keith Wood summed it up nicely post-match, Ireland simply don't have 30 world class players. They have a brilliant starting XV but beyond that, should they lose the likes of O'Gara, D'Arcy, O'Connell, Stringer... they're screwed. The possible loss of Horgan is huge as well.

England will get knocked out of the quarters most likely.

We have all the personnel to win the WC (and not all of them are in the squad). Unfortunately the two crucial years prior to the world cup were spent faffing about rather than getting these young guys playing experience. There isn't the same sort of core in the team as in 2003.

On the France match...I had a decent view of the team. Overall I noticed that the first 55 minutes showed a lot of laziness from the team in resetting the lines both in attack and defence. We weren't particularly sharp and the ball flow to the wings was appalling (thank you to Jamie Noon and Joe Worsley in that department). Abendanon had a great match though which was encouraging. Catt and Perry also stood out. Sackey looked good at times but looked lost in defence, I saw him out of position on numerous occasions.

Dayglo has had his day. I'm baffled as to why he's so popular...he's being used as a "punishing ball carrier". I'm sorry, he's not done that for 3 years. This is highlighted when a certain Seabass is your opposite number. Worsley should not be there, he tends to slow down attacks all too often by plonking himself in the middle of the backline and wasting that lovely overlap.

It's a shame that so much talent is going to waste. But I guess that since playing for Wasps/Leicester seems to be a prerequisite to play for England I'm not surprised.

To be honest, England will end up facing Australia or Wales in the Quarter finals. No offence to either team but they're the easiest pair we could have hoped for with the exception of Scotland/Italy. Australia's forwards are hardly world-beaters and Wales are just awful at the moment, even with their best team.

I cringed when Worsley missed yet another overlap with Sackey outside him near the end of the game, that could have been the try that won us the game and we'd all be celebrating a hard fought win, but instead... Chabal scores in the corner due to some lightweight and indecisive tackling from Lewsey and Abendanon.

Not sure how you think the latter had a good game, he ran some nice lines and was solid under the high ball but that's about it. He'll be on the plane to France perhaps but I'd still like to see what Cueto can do at fullback. Sackey's defence improved as the game went on I thought.

The game turned when Gommersall, Corry and Mears came on. Shaw was our best player on the pitch and should have stayed. Mears as much as I like him made sure our lineouts were 50:50 once again. That lad seriously needs to start hitting his jumpers.

Worsley should play, but at 6, never at 7 EVER again. A back row of Worsley/Rees/Easter is probably our first choice with Moody on the bench.

Ireland Squad - Announced 12/08/07

FORWARDS (16) -

Neil Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

Rory Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

Simon Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

Simon Easterby (Llanelli)

Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)

Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)

John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)

Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)

Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)

Malcolm O'Kelly (St. Mary's College/Leinster)

Alan Quinlan (Shannon/Munster)

Frankie Sheahan (Cork Constitution/Munster)

David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)

Bryan Young (Ballymena/Ulster)

BACKS (14) -

Isaac Boss (Ballymena/Ulster)

Brian Carney (Clonakilty/Munster)

Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)

Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College/Leinster)

Gavin Duffy (Galwegians/Connacht)

Denis Hickie (St. Mary's College/Leinster)

Shane Horgan (Lansdowne/Leinster)

Geordan Murphy (Leicester)

Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (CAPTAIN)

Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Eoin Reddan (Wasps)

Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)

Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)

------------------------------------------

England Squad - Announced 13/08/07

FORWARDS (16)

Steve Borthwick Bath Rugby

George Chuter Leicester Tigers

Martin Corry Leicester Tigers

Lawrence Dallaglio London Wasps

Nick Easter Harlequins

Perry Freshwater Perpignan

Ben Kay Leicester Tigers

Lee Mears Bath Rugby

Lewis Moody Leicester Tigers

Tom Rees London Wasps

Mark Regan Bristol Rugby

Andrew Sheridan Sale Sharks

Matt Stevens Bath Rugby

Phil Vickery Captain London Wasps

Joe Worsley London Wasps

BACKS (14)

Olly Barkley Bath Rugby

Mike Catt London Irish

Mark Cueto Sale Sharks

Andy Farrell Saracens

Andy Gomarsall Harlequins

Dan Hipkiss Leicester Tigers

Josh Lewsey London Wasps

Jamie Noon Newcastle Falcons

Shaun Perry Bristol Rugby

Peter Richards Gloucester Rugby

Jason Robinson Sale Sharks

Paul Sackey London Wasps

Mathew Tait Newcastle Falcons

Jonny Wilkinson Newcastle Falcons

---------------------------------------

Not too many surprises for both sides.

Jamie Heaslip and Keith Gleeson are left out of the Irish squad, and Horgan, although doubtful for the first and possible second pool game is awarded a place.

England's Ashton left out Charlie Hodgson and Mike Tindall surprisingly enough for me though!

We're playing some French side called Bayone tomorrow night and O'Sullicvan has named a full strength side.

15 - Girvan Dempsey

14 - Andrew Trimble

13 - Brian O'Driscoll Captain

12 - Gordon D'Arcy

11 - Denis Hickie

10 - Ronan O'Gara

9 - Peter Stringer

1 - Marcus Horan

2 - Rory Best

3 - John Hayes

4 - Donncha O'Callaghan

5 - Paul O'Connell

6 - Simon Easterby

7 - Neil Best

8 - Denis Leamy

Hopefully we won't pick up any injuries...