NEurope
conzer16

2007 Rugby World Cup

The 2007 Rugby World Cup will be the sixth Rugby World Cup, for the quadrennial world championship.

It will be hosted by France from September 7 to October 20 of 2007.

This World Cup will have 20 nations contesting 48 matches over 44 days. Forty-two matches will be spread between ten French cities, with four matches to be held in Cardiff, Wales and two matches in Edinburgh, Scotland.

• Teams

Pool A

England

Samoa

South Africa

Tonga

USA

Fixtures here

Pool B

Australia

Canada

Fiji

Japan

Wales

Fixtures here

Pool C

New Zealand

Italy

Portugal

Romania

Scotland

Fixtures here

Pool D AKA: the Group Of Death

Argentina

France

Georgia

Ireland

Namibia

Fixtures here

• Format

Every team plays all the others in their pools once only. This means there are 10 games in each pool. The winners and runners up of all four pools will progress to the knock out stages.

Classification within each pool is based on the following scoring system; four points for a win, two for a draw and none for a loss.

A bonus point can be awarded in each of the following instances; a team scores four or more tries (regardless of the match result) and/or a team loses by seven points (a converted try) or less.

A master list of the pool stage fixtures are available here

The Quarter Finals:

Quarter Final 1:

Winner Pool B vs Runners Up Pool A

QF 2:

Winner Pool C vs Runners Up Pool D

QF 3:

Winner Pool A vs Runners Up Pool B

QF 4:

Winner Pool D vs Runners Up Pool C

The Semi Finals:

SF1:

Winner QF 1 vs Winner QF 2

SF 2:

Winner QF 3 vs Winner QF 4

Final

Will take place on October 20th in the Stade de France in Saint-Denis, Paris, where the winning team will be presented with the Webb Ellis Cup which has resided with England for the past 4 years, after Jonny Wilkinson kicked a drop kick with 21 seconds of extra time remaining to beat Australia by 3 points.

**Current Odds**

from http://www.paddypower.com

New Zealand 4/9

South Africa 11/2

Australia 9/1

France 10/1

Ireland 14/1

England 33/1

Wales 50/1

Argentina 50/1

Scotland 300/1

Italy 400/1

Samoa 750/1

Fiji 1000/1

Tonga 1000/1

Canada 1000/1

Romania 2000/1

USA 2000/1

Georgia 2500/1

Japan 5000/1

Portugal 5000/1

Namibia 5000/1

I hope Northern Hemisphere Rugby is the winner!

Fixed :p

We need some big performances from the 2 big Northern Hemisphere teams, because we all know that the Southern Hemisphere teams will show up regardless.

I'll be honest I'm not going to make the effort to watch it, although Motion made me promise I suppose I'm going to have to give it a go!

I'll be honest I'm not going to make the effort to watch it, although Motion made me promise I suppose I'm going to have to give it a go!

You should do! It's a veritable feast of extra-ordinary sporting endeavour!

At least watch an England game, and try out the Ireland-France game too. That'll be the best game out of the Group Stages.

You should do! It's a veritable feast of extra-ordinary sporting endeavour!

At least watch an England game, and try out the Ireland-France game too. That'll be the best game out of the Group Stages.

I'll hold you to it, but beware if the Dutch league is on Setanta Rugby goes out of the window!

Ant I'll be very :( if you don't watch one game at least.

I'll prove it that I will watch a game....

Excellent, actually conzer, I think the opening ceremony + France v Argentina will be the best game there is to watch.

Also, where did you get that bonus points were being put in use? Are you sure about that?

According to the RWC's official site they are using bonus points. I just took the way it is worded above off wiki.

France/Argentina will be a cracking game - but i still think the Ireland/France game will be the best game in the pool stages!

Hmmmm, England v South Africa won't be bad either ;)

Didn't know about bonus points being used, won't make much of a difference anyway.

BP's might be of use in a tight game with a bigger opponent though. I'm lookinag at USA and Japan who might be able to take advantage of them!

Very excited about Saturday's England v Wales test. Ant you could always watch that? :D

English team is interesting. Welsh team is utter shite, and their coach has got to be shown the door after proving what a dumb clown he is. I smell a thrashing.

Wait, there are games being played at Murrayfield? WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THIS? What games are they?

Wait, there are games being played at Murrayfield? WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THIS? What games are they?

Scotland vs Romania on the 18th of September and

Scotland vs New Zealand on the 23rd.

*must try and get tickets to NZ, but is sure will be sold out by now*

Don't get me started on the scandalously cheeky and downright unfair decision to have Welsh and Scottish games based at the Millenium Stadium and Murrayfield. grrrr

Yeah quickfire way of seriously boosting attendances eh :p

They were going to hold 2 games in Lansdowne as well, but seeing as that's out of action at the moment those 2 games went to Cardiff.

It was a case of, England and France were both bidding to host the 2007 competition. France made a deal with Wales, Scotland and Ireland saying if they gave the French their votes for hosting rights, the French would organise 2 fixtures at each of their stadia. Wales now face Australia at the millenium stadium and Scotland face New Zealand at Murrayfield.

The Scots don't have a chance even if the Kiwis turned up with 8 men, but the Welsh have a huge advantage of playing at home. Not a question of attendances... well, ok it probably is in the Scots case.

Ahhh don't be such a scaldy fucker :p

Let the Welshies and the jocks have their couple of games!!

Ahhhh alright... clearly I'm just bitter that Ingerland didn't get the WC :P

I need to change my sig....

I'm waitiing on an Ireland themed one, why don't you get one too!

Show your support for the next World Champions!

I'd rather not wait 50 years before my sig makes any sense! ;)

England v Wales on saturday. COME ON ENGLAND!!!