NEurope
immy

Dragon Quest IV, V, VI: The Zenithia Trilogy

Dragon Quest is finally getting sent out to me ^^

Really can't wait for the game, I have only played Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest II and Dragon Quest VIII (Easily one of the best RPG's last gen)

So yes, can not wait for this game to come into the mail XD

Edit: Now, all I need to hear is the announcement of when Dragon Quest V comes out :D

Right! As promised in the Final Fantasy thread, seeing as I completed the FF IV DS remake, I've cracked open DQ (I'll leave of the IV seeing as its not on our Euro boxes :heh:). Here are my initial impressions after some very limited playtime: difficult to get into straight after playing FF IV! I feel all the more lost seeing as I already knew the FF IV story, but DQ is an all new game to me. Rotating the camera = cool feature... but I'm missing the Auto Battle feature of FF IV, lol.

I'm thinking of checking an FAQ to see if I missed anything in the little prologue bit. I was starting my rounds of exploring the town, but the first house I went to was my house, where I had dinner and the game progressed on to Chapter 1. With Ragnar I've just had my first death. I wasn't really paying attention to a battle I was in, and when I looked at the screen I was low on health... and promptly finished off by some moles. I hadn't healed in a while- school boy error!

I'm hoping the 2D classic charm will win me over, and I'm sure it will. :)

I'm through the first chapter with Ragnar and began the second with Alena and co. I'm still not totally in love with it- I'm still getting used to it and I still feel pretty lost with the whole thing, but I'm sure it'll come good before long!

I had to check to be 100% sure, but I knew it was the case anyway- the music is by Koichi Sugiyama, who is also responsible for the Shiren the Wanderer soundtrack. The music in places is very reminiscent of Shiren, which is amazing and surreal at the same time. Top stuff.

The game is fairly straight forward until chapter 5 where you aren't told where you are supposed to go.

Here's a tip for chapter 3

Make sure to keep 6 Steel Broad Swords. You'll thank me when you don't have to keep fighting random battles until an enemy drops one.

There's a town which is disapear forever after a point in chapter 3. Make sure to stock up on cheap Steel broads words (10 gold each!) and sell them for profit. You'll be needed a ton of money for this chapter.

Got this game in the mail today, (To pile up with all the other RPG's :heh: )

And I must say, I am so glad I played and finished Dragon Quest VIII XD. Because of that, I am having so much more fun with Dragon Quest IV, that I don't think I would have found it as enjoyable if it weren't for playing Dragon Quest VIII ^^

I am currently up to Chapter 2.

Nice one Killer Kirby. I haven't played DQ VIII but I played more of IV last night, and I'm starting to get into it. I haven't finished Chapter 2 as of yet- spent time wandering around looking for the graveyard as I didn't realise there was one in that town, I kept going back to the earlier town with the little graveyard patch! I found the desert people, a tower and that teleport to Endor while noseying about so I'll be heading back to those next for a thorough investigation.

Going back to the earlier point of the music being like Shiren the Wanderer, would you believe that some of the sound effects sound like they are the exact same?

Nice one Killer Kirby. I haven't played DQ VIII

If you have a PS2....GET THE GAME!!!! XD, It is easily one of the greatest RPG's of last gen.

but I played more of IV last night, and I'm starting to get into it. I haven't finished Chapter 2 as of yet- spent time wandering around looking for the graveyard as I didn't realise there was one in that town, I kept going back to the earlier town with the little graveyard patch! I found the desert people, a tower and that teleport to Endor while noseying about so I'll be heading back to those next for a thorough investigation.

Going back to the earlier point of the music being like Shiren the Wanderer, would you believe that some of the sound effects sound like they are the exact same?

I am currently at

I just defeated a boss (I think, could be a sub-boss). And I am now in Vrenor

And I must say, I am so glad I played and finished Dragon Quest VIII XD. Because of that, I am having so much more fun with Dragon Quest IV, that I don't think I would have found it as enjoyable if it weren't for playing Dragon Quest VIII ^^

I think I know what you mean there. I'm at the end of Dragon Quest VIII now (will buy DQIV soonish) and I think I will be able to play the other games better knowing the general tactics of the game.

With hindsight, I wouldn't have distributed my skill points so evenly (I didn't know if I'd lose my weapons and need "Fisticuffs", for example). I also wouldn't have sold the "rare" items, so I could use them for Alchemy later. My fault though, as the shopkeepers did warn me!

Still, for all I know the other DQ games might be very different! I look forward to finding out.

Have been playing it for about 15 hours now. Great game. I have had to powerlevel a couple times but I have had fun doing it at least.

I'm a bit confused about where to go next in chapter five.

I have beaten the French monster and another "evolution" monster at the Russian castle with the missing people and now I'm not sure what to do next. I will explore some of the other islands haven't visited yet, but in case I don't find anything some help would be nice.

That wireless thing that brings new people to the desert village, is that local only?

I think you need to find the Magma staff which will open a new area, but I can't remember where you get it :P.

I love DQ IV DS!! I liked the original and the exp grind. DQ line has always been about players gradually dissolving into its cosy world, like a sugar cube melting into a warm cup of tea, to the point that in the end you wouldn't want to come out of it. I takes somewhat more patience than Final Fantasy line (certainly the newer ones) as DQ lacks all the frills of FF's grand presentation. But that's what I love about it. It's much more true to the spirit of a hard working RPG gamer. :yay:

Bring on the entire series now!

DQ lacks all the frills of FF's grand presentation.

Yeah, Nomura hasn't touched the series so it doesn't have shit and dull gameplay (lol) and it doesn't have the shittiest soap opera known to man like what the recent Final Fantasy's have (I am looking at you Final Fantasy VIII and X )

DQ 4 definitely has a lot of charm about it with the hand drawn sprites, however FF IV is also pretty amazing graphically and a great remake of the classic game. For me its hard to pick between them because while I can appreciate DQ 4, I haven't played it before so the retro feel can be a bit surreal, whereas FF IV I've played and know well, so it was great to have it in 3D with new cinematics and all.

Know what I mean?

Know what I mean?

Yeah I do. Push comes to shove, I love both. They're just... very different to me. One is a flashy west end theatre, the other is like reading a good book. It is sad though that the beauty of DQ is generally less known in the west.

Looks like DGV is out February in the US. Which hopefully means the UK version is out around then as well. I'm glad it's coming out pretty quick. Hopefully VI and IX will be released late 2009 as well.

As a heads up, DQ IV is £14.99 in GameStation just now on a half price sale along with FF IV. Mighty tempted to pick these up.

As a heads up, DQ IV is £14.99 in GameStation just now on a half price sale along with FF IV. Mighty tempted to pick these up.

Do get DQIV. It's one of the best games on DS in my opinion. And you can't go wrong for £15.

I also picked up FVIV from the sale, but I haven't played it yet since I'm playing through some DS games at the moment.

I'm seriously considering it. I'm going up to my town center to get a couple of things and i'm thinking about jumping in and getting them. Was considering getting Fable II but I think i'll leave that just now for these.

GET IT!!!!

Please do, you will not regret it, and once you do. I bet you will just want to get Dragon Quest V right away when that comes out ^^

I will certainly get IX, so I'm rather tempted to go for IV at that price...

Still, I have FFIV and VI to finish!

Alas, I finally have DQ IV and FF IV. Dad went to get my sister from work, so I jumped in and got them, spoke to my fellow workers and went on my way. Though I doubt i'll start playing them till tonight/tomorrow so Uni is out the way.

I will certainly get IX, so I'm rather tempted to go for IV at that price...

Still, I have FFIV and VI to finish!

Did you ever get VIII one the PS2 (if you have one)? That's probably one of the best games there is on the PS2. Worth every penny. :)

The soundtrack alone would be worth the purchase.