NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stranger

"Wii Appeal will wear off"

According to David Perry, that is (he's the Earthworm Jim guy). He was interviewed in Disposable Media (the latest issue thereof).

Have NE reported this already? If so, apologies. It's popping up on CVG, Gamestyle, Next Gen etc...

What do the rest of you think? Will people forget about the Wii after a while, with the advent of the next "Halo" or what have you?

Ah, my mistake. Admins, feel free to merge the threads, or whatever you crazy guys do (but it wasn't reported on the NE front page?)

And I'm a forum member, who technically is still a staff writer here (last review was New SMB).

Nice to meet you too.

Long time no see.

Is it me or has this been said by several people before? Its like the "in" thing to say right now.

Indeed, Ash! And maybe it's because people just can't keep away from here for too long?

Best not drag this thread off-topic too much, but I hope you've been keeping well. It's great to see some familiar faces - I'm not familiar all these new young bucks on the staff team!

I never really saw you around here :P Glad to meet you I'm part of the most recent batch of newsies ^^

I'll let you in on a secret. Neither am I :p But yeah all is good in general. Hope you're well too :) (and yeah if you want to carry this on my PM inbox is relatively empty ;))

I remember Stranger! : peace: God that was quite a while ago since you've posted ain't it?...:)

Anyway, answer to your question. Yes the wii appeal will wear off if developers constantly use the same control method (i.e waggle the remote as fast as you can) IF they come up with much better ways of using it, then 'no' the wii appeal won't wear of..

Thats my opinion anyway! :)

I have to admit if they have games along the lines of Resi 4 comming out then for the hardcore there might be some hope for the Wii.

I think the "in" thing right now is to be falling up the Wii's arse, like so many millions of non gamers are.

Anything with this amount of momentum is of course gonna slow down because theres only so many people willing to buy the console.

Will having HD graphics wear off? Will having 1 million first person shooter Half-Life clones on your console wear off?

The answer is yes, but no one cares, cause it'll still be awesome for different reasons.

By the way, it's great to see the head of EA commenting on something wearing off, yanno, like releasing the exact same game every year or something.

The Wii's appeal wore off after a few months for me. I have to wipe the dust off it every few days.

Will having HD graphics wear off? Will having 1 million first person shooter Half-Life clones on your console wear off?

The answer is yes, but no one cares, cause it'll still be awesome for different reasons.

By the way, it's great to see the head of EA commenting on something wearing off, yanno, like releasing the exact same game every year or something.

Exactly, why will it wear off? Its just a different control method. Joypads haven't worn off have they?

Theres million of WW2 shooters, but they still sell, so why not the Wii? There millions of DS's in homes round the world, yet its still the best selling console. All this got said when the DS was released and yet its still going strong.

jammy2211 - he isn't the head of EA. Learn to read.

And if "joypads haven't worn off", then why did people get excited about the Wii in the first place?

Nice to see that the trend of criticising the successful members of the gaming industry never changes. Where's EWJ now eh Perry?! It's not gonna get onto VC with an attitude like that is it? Or do you recon that he's bitter cos he doesnt own the rights to it anymore so won't get any money out of it?

Anyway... I think that many ppl here are criticising the Wii becuase they are failing again to remember that this console isnt entirely designed, marketed or developed for with us, as the type of gamers we are, in mind. So yeah, maybe the Wii controller seems like it maight wear off and yes a lot of that factor weighs on the devs. But what a lot of ppl here are missing is that to us the Wii-mote is a replacement, we get this instead of a conventional controller. However for a lot of people who own the platform this controller is their route in to gaming. Without it, they just would play at all.

Its not about whether the controller makes the gaming more immersive its about making it easier and more accessible. This will not change.

Back at you Mr. Defensive. I think he's atlking about the comments made by EA in the past week about the need to stop making recycle-ware and concentrating more on making fresh, new IP for the Wii.

Chill out dude.

Nice to see that the trend of criticising the successful members of the gaming industry never changes. Where's EWJ now eh Perry?! It's not gonna get onto VC with an attitude like that is it? Or do you recon that he's bitter cos he doesnt own the rights to it anymore so won't get any money out of it?

Anyway... I think that many ppl here are criticising the Wii becuase they are failing again to remember that this console isnt designed, marketed or developed with us, as the type of gamers we are, in mind. So yeah, maybe the Wii controller seems like it maight wear off and yes a lot of that factor weighs on the devs. But what a lot of ppl here are missing is that to us the Wii-mote is a replacement, we get this instead of a conventional controller. However for a lot of people who own the platform this controller is their route in to gaming. Without it, they just would play at all.

Its not about whether the controller makes the gaming more immersive its about making it easier and more accessible. This will not change.

Back at you Mr. Defensive. I think he's atlking about the comments made by EA in the past week about the need to stop making recycle-ware and concentrating more on making fresh, new IP for the Wii.

Chill out dude.

Back at you, Mr. Jamba! I don't see why his actual point was made here and not in an EA thread.

But if you're right, then at least he meant it to have some relevance, and the other comments he made in his post were intelligent and valid, so, y'know, that's okay.

EDIT - Oh, and good post, by the way. You're quite right in what you say.

And if "joypads haven't worn off", then why did people get excited about the Wii in the first place?

Becuase its different and fun, but people still play with joypads on xbox 360 and PS3 so how can someone say joypads have worn off?

Thanks. I can understand why people find it difficult to understand how the Wii works. It has a whole new rule book and because it still caters to more conventional gamers as well, it can get confusing when Nintendo dont play to the standard form (not that they ever did do :hehe:).

I was thinking of starting a thread on this subject soon. Problem is that ofen people don't run with the discussion. I'd like to see ppl like Caris and the people who don't like the Wii in on it plenty aswell because their views are just as valid.

Hmmmm.... to the create thread button!

Sup Stranger. Aren't you a mod on Eurofusion now?

Oh and I think the appeal of the Wii will hold as long as we have a steady flow of decent games. There's a drought period at the moment as there was with DS, but there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

A good point. :heh:

Anyway, here's a quote that sums up this thread quite well:

"Calm rain is like a kiss upon the face.

A scent and feel unparalleled in kind.

Reunions in the rain are most heartfelt."

(Anyone who knows that quote should be knighted!)

Sup Stranger. Aren't you a mod on Eurofusion now?

I am a moderator on those boards, yes, and I have been for some time. It isn't the most active of forums these days, mind - which is a shame, because there are some great folk on there. I tend to haunt one or two other boards these days, when I'm not writing or...well, venturing into the mystical, frightening "real world".

I think the key to future Wii success lies in, as some of you have said, making constant and innovative use of the controller. Games these days frequently rely on "novelty controllers" to give their games a USP - with the Wii, developers can earn a whole lot more use out of the one new controller, which gives the Wii more than just "novelty" status. How much more, though, will depend on how committed developers will be into finding new avenues for the Wii technology to go down.

I think it's too early to say.

The Wii and it's controls are still fairly new. I'm fairly certain that when we get to play games which has been in the works for a while now, like Metroid Prime Corruption and Super Mario Galaxy, we'll really feel how the controls are supposed to be. I believe games like Wii Fit will make the Wii Appeal even bigger.

Atleast my family (which never plays video games) still find Wii Sports very appealing.

Fire emblem path of radience!

(I love google)

I dub thee Sir Haggis, of the Google Tribe.

Sign in to follow this