NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Star Trek: Conquest

127685e.jpg

GameFly revel a lot of games early, and this one even has a boxart.

Races:

United Federation of Planets

Romulan Star Empire

Klingon Empire

Dominion

Breen

Cardassian Union

(Yes, I recognised them all)

So, that puts the game in a Deep Space Nine setting, during the Dominion War.

I'm trying not to be too excited about this game, what with Legacy and Encounters sucking big balls.

Still, I wonder what type of game it will be (land-based or ship-based. Or both), and how it will control. Can't wait for the official announcement.

link

Please be a strategy game.

If the boxart was properly designed, I'd say it is. The boxart just reeks of RTS-ness.

I just hope they don't use the very outdated models a fan made for Bridge Commander; like in Legacy. They've been bettered by far. The Nebula class in the game is a cut-up-Galaxy Class, and looks nothing like a Nebula Class.

My bet is that this is just a port of Legacy with Wiimote controls tacked on. If it was an original title I'm sure we'd have heard about it before a box art showed up.

I could be wrong though as I didn't play Legacy so can't be sure that all these factions were present in that game.

I could be wrong though as I didn't play Legacy so can't be sure that all these factions were present in that game.

Legacy only had Federation, Romulans, Klingons and the Borg. They also had sections from all series of Star Trek. The borg were allowed an appearance, thanks to introducing them in Enterprise as an "unknown series", but the Dominion, Breen and Cardassians can't all have the same thing done to then.

Legacy was horribly rushed, I'd suggest avoiding it. The PC version revealed that the game was built on Armada 2 (The DVD had half of Armada's files on it), and some parts of the tutorial told you to use Xbox 360 buttons. The other half told you to use PC keys.

So, anyway, this isn't Legacy or Encounters.

Set phasers to fun!

There, I said it.

Although to be honest, I haven't enjoyed a Trek game since TNG: A Final Unity. And that was 12 years ago!

I might be on my own here but I quite enjoyed Legacy.

If this is something similar with a different storyline I'd be happy enough with it.

I'm hoping it's a FPS in a similar vein to Elite Force. That must of been the first star trek game I enjoyed.

I didn't like Final Unity that much, that was the one that was more like a point and click wasn't it?

I enjoyed both Elite Forces quite a lot, loved Bridge Commander and thought Armada was good as well but apart from that I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel.

Still hope this turns out good though. A good Star Trek game + Wii would be really nice.

I'd like a spiritual sequel to Bridge Commander though but it looks more like it turns out to be an RTS.

As long as it's no spiritual sucessor to ConQuest Online I'll be happy (never played it as the critics told me to stear clear of that).

I'd like a spiritual sequel to Bridge Commander though

I have Bridge Commander installed. I've probably got over 100 ships in it, too. And around 15 bridges, and many more levels. And many more technologies and techniques. And all the ship models are much better than Legacy. Still, It'll be nice to have a new engine to build on - the DirectX 8 engine doesn't cope quite as well with some of the stuff. And other stuff (like proper shadows) is impossible to add.

But that's the only problem I'd have with a Wii Star Trek game.....I would want to change everything in it.

I have Bridge Commander installed. I've probably got over 100 ships in it, too. And around 15 bridges, and many more levels. And many more technologies and techniques. And all the ship models are much better than Legacy. Still, It'll be nice to have a new engine to build on - the DirectX 8 engine doesn't cope quite as well with some of the stuff. And other stuff (like proper shadows) is impossible to add.

But that's the only problem I'd have with a Wii Star Trek game.....I would want to change everything in it.

Oh yes the modding community for BC is absolutely great. Especially NanoFX2 really improved the graphics a lot.

As long as they include a dockable DS9, a Defiant, Intrepid, D'Deridex, Scimitar and Sovereign I'd be happy.

We haven't made any official announcements on Conquest, but hope to have something to share soon.

Well. I think that basically says "Yes, the game is true. Expect an official announcement soon"

A final unity is the only Trek game I've played and that was fantastic.

This is certainly an unexpected surprise. Considering the desert of computer games for Star Trek presently (and the fact that my system is too old to run any new ones anyway), to have one present for my chosen console is excellent. Hopefully it will be a good one!

So, that puts the game in a Deep Space Nine setting, during the Dominion War.

Oh sweet merciful crap, DEEP SPACE 9?

I think you are right not to hold your breath, shit Star Trek series probably dont spawn good games.....

*Horrible memories of Capt Sisko*

Some info about the game has now surfaced.

August 3, 2007 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax Media company, today announced its next STAR TREK videogame, STAR TREK®: Conquest, a blend of strategy and intense action set in “The Next Generation” era. Conquest will be available for the Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo and PlayStation®2.

Players take control of Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Dominion, and Breen forces and lead them in a campaign to control the Galaxy, one planet at a time. Build and manage your growing empire in turn-based strategy, fully utilizing the Wii Remote™ as you select and maneuver your starships throughout the large, galactic map.

Strategically, you must effectively manage limited resources to expand your empire. You decide how to best achieve objectives by managing your fleets and admirals, building support structures, researching technology, and engaging your enemies in combat.

Once battle is initiated, Conquest switches to a ship level tactical view allowing direct command of your ships as you engage in real-time combat. While maneuvering your starship with the Nunchuk™, take direct aim and fire away with the Wii Remote™.

Conquest has not yet been rated by the ESRB. Scheduled for a simultaneous release this Holiday at an estimated MSRP of $29.99 on the Wii™ and $19.99 on the PlayStation®2. For more information visit the Star Trek: Conquest Overview Page.

So, it looks like it's going to be a combination of a proper RTS with action similar to Legacy, might be OK.

Some screens of the PS2 version have also appeared, the Wii version probably won't look much different.

conquest_03B.jpg

conquest_02B.jpg

conquest_01B.jpg

Best Star Trek ever.

He's right you know.

Anyway, not sure what to make of those screens. I think as long the whole thing plays smoothly that would probably do fine.

Looks pretty good. I hope it plays well. RTS plus ship to ship combat is really fantastic but I'm not too excited as the last few games didn't turn out very well.

Anyone notice those budget prices there? Whats up with that? Possibly a mistake but if not it hints at a smaller game than perhaps we'd like.

Anyone notice those budget prices there? Whats up with that? Possibly a mistake but if not it hints at a smaller game than perhaps we'd like.

I noticed the same thing.

I have a bad feeling about this game.

First of all, it sounds like Star Fox Command in some ways, just with more options, which is a bad start.

Secondly - those models look like they are from Amarda. Or perhaps earlier.

Anyone notice those budget prices there? Whats up with that?

Well, from the looks of it:

- It's a very old game engine they are using

- They are re-using old models, textures and effects

Which is probably why the price is so low.

Sign in to follow this