NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
KKOB

Pownce

An AWESOME new app/web based crazy thing from the makers of Digg.com

http://www.pownce.com

home-app1.gif

WHAT IS IT?

Pownce is a way to send messages, files, links, and events to your friends. You'll create a network of the people you know and then you can share stuff with all of them, just a few of them, or even just one other person really fast.

WHAT EXACTLY CAN I SEND?

Right now, there are four basic things you can send: messages, links, files, and events.

You might send an event out to a dozen of your friends letting them know you're hosting a party this Friday. They could easily get the event details you entered, respond with questions or comments and then quickly rsvp.

Say you had a great photo you wanted to share with all of your friends. Just add the file and all of your friends will get it right away. They'll be able to reply and tell you if it's cool. You could even post songs you recorded in your home studio to share with your friends.

I ADORE this app, only been using it for a day and i think this may be something big. Like a cross between MSN, a file sharing thingy, and facebook. Really fun to use.

Currently it's in a closed beta style thing, but i gave them my email and got my invite last night, and was able to invite 6 of my friends. and then they got 6 invites etc etc.

I think you should give this site a quick look and try it out, what do you have to loose?

Karl :love:

I have requested an invite. Can't think how I'll use it but wahey.

Shouldn't this be in the tech forum?

Maybe, but no ones really interested anyway :heh: FOOLS (not bluejay, azza, lukelee, uzit or fresh)

Maybe, but no ones really interested anyway :heh: FOOLS (not bluejay, azza, lukelee, uzit or fresh)

That confused me. Are those the names of the people who viewed the thread?

Also, tech and creative are barren because of people's attitude to posting threads in general to get more views.

I've had an account for a while but not really used it yet. I'm fatnickc if anyone wants to befriend me.

PM for invites etc.

I put my email in but never got a response.

PM for invites etc.

I'll take one please m8, email address is in my profile under instant messaging.

I put my email in but never got a response.

I'll take one please m8, email address is in my profile under instant messaging.

Took me about 3 weeks to get my invite through just giving them my email address.

i'll add ye fatnick man.

People should be able to find me by typing in my name, karlkempobrien.

I don't get it... why not just email people? I'm starting to feel old!

Cos it's a lot quicker and simpler to send one file, or a link or a quick comment to loads of people or a group. It doesn't really do anything new, but it does it in a new way. Also file sharing is pretty darn quick on it too considering it's not the final product yet and it's only been open for a month or so.

And most people seem to not check their emails anyway . .

Done.

I do like that brown.

Am I the only one who doesn't see the big deal? I can send things to my friends on email or MSN, and all my friends have access to those..

Am I the only one who doesn't see the big deal? I can send things to my friends on email or MSN, and all my friends have access to those..

But you can't send files and links when they're offline and have them get them and download them when they're on again. Like i said it's nothing new, just a new way of doing it thats faster and easier, and looks very nice too :D

Plus this is just the starting point, like i said it's in a kinda closed beta style environment.

I can send links and messages on msn while offline, don't think i can send files and the reason I don't know if i can or not is because I have never had any reason to try. If you ask me, this bit of software is a solution waiting for a problem.

I can send links and messages on msn while offline, don't think i can send files and the reason I don't know if i can or not is because I have never had any reason to try. If you ask me, this bit of software is a solution waiting for a problem.

either way i'm finding it fun and useful :D

either way i'm finding it fun and useful :D

Further proof that I am slowly turning into my Dad... make sure to warn me if I start complaining about there being too many "youths" in pubs these days! :D

I remember when all we had was email, newsgroups and a 28k line out... and we were happy!.....

Further proof that I am slowly turning into my Dad... make sure to warn me if I start complaining about there being too many "youths" in pubs these days! :D

I remember when all we had was email, newsgroups and a 28k line out... and we were happy!.....

Dude remember when having a 28k line was amazingly fast?

Dude remember when having a 28k line was amazingly fast?

:D

I remember my computer phoning up my mates house so that we could play some multiplayer Doom!

Then his Mum answers the phone and freaks out.

I've only had the internet for about 3 years . . . *runs away*

:D

I remember my computer phoning up my mates house so that we could play some multiplayer Doom!

Then his Mum answers the phone and freaks out.

Haha. classic.

JUST now, the hottest startup in Silicon Valley — minutely examined by bloggers, panted after by investors — is Pownce, but only a chosen few can try out its Web site.

Kevin Rose, the co-founder and chief architect of Digg, a hugely popular news site, announced in late June the introduction of Pownce, a social-networking service that combines messaging with file-sharing. Mr. Rose immediately endowed his latest venture with some mystique by declaring that, for the time being, only those with invitations would be permitted to test his new site.

Within days, invitations were selling on eBay for as much as $10. Mr. Rose has declined all requests to be interviewed about the service, including my own. But as a consolation, he sent me a coveted invitation. I enjoyed the rare thrill of cyberhipness — and got to experiment with the site.

I learned you can send text messages to individual friends or groups of friends on Pownce as well as post microblogs, or short announcements, to the larger Pownce community. This function is very similar to messaging services like Twitter or Jaiku, and is found on social networks like Facebook and MySpace (although Pownce’s messages cannot, at least for now, be sent to mobile phones). You can also send your friends links, invitations to events, or files like photos, music or videos. Of course, you can already do that on a multitude of file-sharing Web sites. It is the combination of private messaging and file-sharing that makes Pownce so novel.

Rest of le article is HERE

Sure if anyone has a spare invite PM me?

I'd like to give it a try!

Sure if anyone has a spare invite PM me?

I'd like to give it a try!

Sending invite.

Edit: Never mind, someone got there first.

Sign in to follow this