NEurope
EchoDesiato

Gang Kidnaps Gamer to Get Password Using Fake Date

An armed gang of four kidnapped one of the world's top RPG gamers after one criminal's girlfriend lured him into a fake date using Orkut, Google's social network. After sequestering him in Sao Paulo, they held a gun against the victim's head for five hours to get his password, which they wanted to sell for $8,000. And yes, the story gets even better.

Surprisingly enough, after five hours the hostage wasn't talking. The group leader had a gun against his head all that time but the guy didn't say a word. At that point, the crooks gave up and decided to let him go. The brazilian police then caught the four suspects, aged 19 to 27.

According to the police, the captive is the world leader in GunBound, a turn-based RPG-style multiplayer online game. Developed in South Korea, in this artillery game you get more experience points, offensive and defensive capabilities depending on your skills during battle, as well as money to buy more weapons, armor and all kinds of gear for your multiple avatars. You can only play with one of your avatars each time, but all of them belong to a single account.

The game looks to be quite popular, so the four gangsters decided they could make some quick cash if they kidnapped him to steal his user. Their plan: use one of the criminal's girlfriends, called Tamires, to get him into a date using Google's online social network Orkut, which is also extremely popular in Brazil. After contacting and seducing him, she told the GunBound wizard to meet her in a shopping mall.

But she never appeared. Instead, Igor the boyfriend did. Gun in hand, he abducted and held the player prisoner, planning to rely the password to his mates using a cellphone. Against all odds, our hero (or very stupid guy) resisted. Probably using some Stamina +357 spell. Or a Big Cojones +577 mana potion.

Whatever he did to resist the torture for a stupid game password, boys and girls, there's a moral to this story: if you live in Brazil, keep playing Tetris.

Holy Mother of God. I don't know what's more insane: criminals trying to steal an online RPG account, or the guy not willing to give a login password for a videogame with a gun pointed at his head for five hours. Madness!

Only on this planet lol.

That is ridiculous. Why would he not give up his password? He was willing to risk his life over a game? What a prat.

Haha, the guy who didn't give up his password is the bigger idiot. Risking jail over a game? Dumb. Risking your life over a game? Ridiculously dumb.

I think if I had a gun to my head my WoW or Steam account details would be the least of my worries.

That guy must be quite an addict if he refused to give his account details.

But I must say it's also pretty impressive to not give a criminal what he wants even when you are threatened. I admire that, although it's stupid in this case.

I wouldn't have given them my account either. Won't give in to guns. They're not going to shoot you anyway.

At least that's what I say now lying in my safe bed.

It would be a lot easier to give them a fake password, now I think of it.

What if they had a laptop with an internet connection with them?

I wouldn't have given them my account either. Won't give in to guns. They're not going to shoot you anyway.

At least that's what I say now lying in my safe bed.

People have been killed over dumber things.

I've got respect for that guy. Seriously, whether he's a game addict or not, no way should somebody be allowed to take something of yours that doesn't belong to them. It's the principle that matters. If it's one thing I hate, it's a bully. Kudos to the guy for being brave, because then there would be nothing stopping these guys from going out again to do the same thing to somebody else, or maybe even worse.

Now that guy is both stupid and brave at the same time, stupid for risking his life for the sake of a gaming password and brave for keeping it secret and not blubbing it out. If i was in his shoes, i would have probably given them the password for the sake of my life, gaming should not rule your life as there are more important things out there to worry about.

well, id probebly give the game password, i mean, i can redo that, but theres stuff id not give. for instance yuujow, the sword my friends gave me for my 20th.

What are the chances that this is just an advertising scheme made up by the game's creators to get cheap publicity. Couldn't the player have just contacted the game creators to get his account back and restore any damage done to his account by whoever bought it otherwise.

Erm... cripes.

I think I would have given in when I saw that the blind date was indeed a man called Igor holding a gun. The guy didn't know what state of mind the kidnappers were in, he could have been killed.

Haha, the guy who didn't give up his password is the bigger idiot. Risking jail over a game? Dumb. Risking your life over a game? Ridiculously dumb.

Risking Brazilian jail is probably dumber than risking your life.

I've played Gunbound myself, and getting high up on that game is near impossible. I can understand why he wouldn't want to give up his account!

One tough bastard that one.

Whatever he did to resist the torture for a stupid game password, boys and girls, there's a moral to this story: if you live in Brazil, keep playing Tetris.

I lol'd