NEurope
Bluejay

The Simpsons Movie

Oh, and having Mr Burns as the villain would have been like repeating the first half of the "Who Shot Mr Burns?" episode all over again. As someone else said (I believe it was Ash?), they had to make the threat bigger, and more real. I applaud the Simpsons writers for not resorting to obvious cliche (as, ironically, everyone else seems to be accusing them of doing).

So Homer screwing up yet again, Marge getting angry with him, Lisa caring about the environment... those aren't cliches?

Believe me, motion - I rarely watch the Simpsons these days. I think the recent episodes are a crock of shite, and I walked into the film expecting to react...well, like all of you did.

I think the difference was, I expected to dislike it - I didn't decide that I already disliked it before I walked in.

Next?

Seasons 1-8 are pure comedy genius. :D

Motion what is your favourite season?

Very tough to choose, 5 and 6 were brilliant. 10 was good too actually.

Back then the Simpsons were funny don't you agree? This movie just seems like 4 of the dullest, most 'trying to be funny' episodes from seasons 15-18.

Believe me, motion - I rarely watch the Simpsons these days. I think the recent episodes are a crock of shite, and I walked into the film expecting to react...well, like all of you did.

I think the difference was, I expected to dislike it - I didn't decide that I already disliked it before I walked in.

Next?

I expected nothing from the film. Didn't decide to dislike it at all. I agree with Fields, it was embarassing to sit through. Sitting with 300 others desparately hoping for something to get us to laugh PROPERLY.

Marge, for once, took action.

And with Homer/Lisa - it's part of their respective characters, for Christ's sake. That's akin to saying "Bart should have acted like the perfect schoolboy, otherwise it's too cliched."

Marge took the same action many times during the series. The problem is, the pay off/ending was far better than what we got at the end of the movie.

Anyway, humour is subjective - I'm not going to be dragged down into an argument over whether a film was funny or not.

As far as I'm concerned, it was.

Now, hating aside, could we maybe, just maybe, have some people discussing what they LIKED about the film?

Sure and since this is a discussion board, we can also have some people discuss what they DISLIKED about the film.

I think you've made your point, several times over. No need to keep trying to ram it down the throats of people who actually enjoyed the film.

My favourite Season is 5, i don't think there is one episode i don't like in season 5.

Back then they were Hilarious, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the movie (I'm afraid i thought it was great)

Although many of the episodes from the new seasons aren't that great.

There are still some that shows the Simpsons may have something left.

I liked a lot of the episode from season 15 as well. Maybe it's a 5 thing?

Having thought about this some more over night. I think the reson I no longer like the Simpsons is because I cant stand Homer anymore hes just a ****. In the early Simpsons yeah he was stupid yeah he was self centered but he would always do what was right for his family in the end. Now he's 10000000 times more annoying and stupid and he gets on my nerves rather then making me laugh. Take the bit in the film where he hits himself in the eye with the hammer. I mean really could you see the Homer of 10 years ago doing that.

Its a similar problem I have with the newer Scrubs where JD gets on my tits now.

My favourite Season is 5, i don't think there is one episode i don't like in season 5.

Back then they were Hilarious, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the movie (I'm afraid i thought it was great)

Although many of the episodes from the new seasons aren't that great.

There are still some that shows the Simpsons may have something left.

I liked a lot of the episode from season 15 as well. Maybe it's a 5 thing?

Season 15! I loved that too, thought I was the only one nowadays.

I expected nothing from the film.

Here's the Million Dollar Question: Why the hell did you go and see it then!

Here's the Million Dollar Question: Why the hell did you go and see it then!

If you expect nothing you'll get nothing. You can't go and watch a movie with a defeatist attitude. If you do it the thing your watching or doing will always turn out bollocks.

Great movie, but of course not as good as the older episodes. I think the simpsons were great up until around season 12, after that they began to decline, but there are still some great episodes in the newer series'.

Seen this earlier today with friends and I loved it.Thought it was really funny and would happily see it again.

How people found it 'laugh out loud' funny, and I mean... hilarious... is beyond me. It was exactly the same as current Simpsons on telly, ie. crap compared to classic Simpsons.

I can understand why people didn't like it but this is completely untrue. The current Simpsons episodes are awful in comparison. The movie was far superior to the last 9 seasons. Whether it was 1-8 material is questionable but it, at the least matched 11+, surely?

My favourite season is 6 btw. Great stand out eps (like 8) win over a whole batch of good to great ones (like 3,4,5) for me. I don't know why, as 5 is clearly superior. I just hold 6 in a special light.