NEurope
Retro_Link

Resident Evil 5

Extreme Sunlight and Shadow.

I just hope that the shadow places are all underground and stuff. Sure its scary but going through an open village in the middle of the night...*shivers*

From the trailer it looked like the sunny areas are villages areas while the darker places were all, erm, not so village like places (if that makes sense lol).

I just hope that the shadow places are all underground and stuff. Sure its scary but going through an open village in the middle of the night...*shivers*

From the trailer it looked like the sunny areas are villages areas while the darker places were all, erm, not so village like places (if that makes sense lol).

Alot of the contrasts will play out in the village like when Chris goes from being in the extreme external sunlight and then running indoor to escape, your vision will adjust to the new darker conditions and when you re-focus you'll have a hoard of inside villagers in your face; and it will work both ways.

If you look back at the very first RE5 trailer you get a sense of how it will work:

One complaint about the trailer I have is; why are these villagers so apprehensive like the Spaniards in Resident Evil 4?

I want them charging at me like crazy-mother-fuckers. Now that would be tense.

One complaint about the trailer I have is; why are these villagers so apprehensive like the Spaniards in Resident Evil 4?

I want them charging at me like crazy-mother-fuckers. Now that would be tense.

Because it would get samey after awhile and the tension would be lost. Part of the tension in 4 was that sometimes they would charge at you, and you would never know the person you were aiming at was one of these buggers.

I found the speed of the people in RE4 quite intense as it was! Running away from them turning around and still seeing them there!

It was alot more 'i'm in your face' feel than the other RE's. However the other RE's 'shit me up more' than RE4 did.

I found the speed of the people in RE4 quite intense as it was! Running away from them turning around and still seeing them there!

It was alot more 'i'm in your face' feel than the other RE's. However the other RE's 'shit me up more' than RE4 did.

The Ganandos were more agressive on the Wii version, and if you tried to turn tail and run, you can be sure they weren't just going to let you get away, I don't think there has been a scarier moment in resi, than the times where you have to fight 'it' in that cage, 'the maze', and the 'right hand'. Man do I detest those fights because of this.

I wish there were guys there speaking portuguese, because portguese with african accent= awesome.

I wish there were guys there speaking portuguese, because portguese with african accent= awesome.

Maybe Angola.

Anyway, i love the whole 'rebels in africa' feel, especially the way that guy was announcing stuff in the megaphone. For a Japanese company to pull off, its very impressive.

Anyway, i love the whole 'rebels in africa' feel, especially the way that guy was announcing stuff in the megaphone. For a Japanese company to pull off, its very impressive.
It's all very Black Hawk Down/Blood Diamond.

Maybe Angola.

lol that would be hard to pull of

Holy pixel shaders batman! That game looks sexy as hell!

60% complete? Microsoft have a couple of big announcements coming at E3 for this Christmas. Then again the remaining 40% would need completing in 4 months or so, which probably isn't possible.

The very idea makes me shiver in anticipation thought!

If you mean the recent leak information about co-op and the covering system, then that just pissed them off even more. They keep on moaning about it, saying that RE5 is "a GoW clone", "is no longer surivival horror" and that "the RE series is dead" because these new features.

I can see why some RE fans would be annoyed, but phrasing it in such a way is way too melodramatic. Besides, no one's had a chance to even play the game properly yet...

I think it's just that we are a nice bunch of sensible, level headed people here in the Other Consoles board. Look at the Wii Board and you'll see what i mean ("Burn Ubisoft! They make no games i want to play! Im bored of the same old crap, i want what the 360 and PS3 have. But i will NEVAR admit it!!1!111!!!!")

You're hilariou McPhee. Hilarious. And you keep proving other people right, so you're also a nice guy. Not to mention that has everything to do with what's being discussed

Anyway, I love it that people think that GoW was revolutionary and invented the cover system and over the shoulder view when these things have been in game for ages. Now every game that happens to have any of these things is a GoW clone XD

Anyway, I love it that people think that GoW was revolutionary and invented the cover system and over the shoulder view when these things have been in game for ages. Now every game that happens to have any of these things is a GoW clone XD

It's the best cover system in any game I've played. The over the shoulder view was clearly inspired by RE4, but it worked perfectly in Gears too. I think Gears it the defining third person shooter this generation, so it seems only fair that people would compare other games to it, rather than reference some obscure, mediocre game in the past that nobody remembers. That, and the fact that if RE5 did implement a cover system, then it would probably play quite a bit like Gears.

Just like everything that has button bashing in it is a God of War clone. Didn't you know... Shenmue and the Dreamcast never existed! Duh!

It's the best cover system in any game I've played. The over the shoulder view was clearly inspired by RE4, but it worked perfectly in Gears too. I think Gears it the defining third person shooter this generation, so it seems only fair that people would compare other games to it, rather than reference some obscure, mediocre game in the past that nobody remembers. That, and the fact that if RE5 did implement a cover system, then it would probably play quite a bit like Gears.

Oh please, Resident Evil and Metal Gear are obscure? Problem is, people talk like it like invented those things and it didn't.

Just like everything that has button bashing in it is a God of War clone. Didn't you know... Shenmue and the Dreamcast never existed! Duh!

By button mashing I assume you mean QTEs? I haven't heard a lot of people saying its a god of war thing, but yeah, you get the point.

Oh please, Resident Evil and Metal Gear are obscure? Problem is, people talk like it like invented those things and it didn't.

Well, I was talking about the cover system. The over shoulder view has been pretty widely used, so it's not much to brag about, and Metal Gear is stealth action, not a Third Person Shooter, so it wouldn't make any sense to say that RE5 with a cover system would play like MGS, now would it?

RE5 previews

Gamespot:

The demo opened with Chris Redfield in a house fending off zombies (or whatever the heck they're calling them in this game) as they came in through the front door. From the look of things the game is sticking pretty close to the core of RE4's combat systems. We saw Chris shoot, stab, and get off a context sensitive kick on the horde foes coming at him. As time passed, enemies started pouring down from the ceiling, which added a whole new dynamic to the action. As if all that wasn't challenging enough, a massive warhammer wielding punched a whole through wall, showing off the new destructible environments and allowing more enemies in.

With the house compromised, Chris is sent running outside through the ruined streets with a mob of foes behind him--including his hammer wielding friend. The open space offers some new defensive opportunities as Chris is able to ignite some conveniently placed drums which flame up nicely and deal with the smaller enemies. Chris also switches weapons to his shotgun which tears through groups of foes at close range. Of course none of this matters to the massive hammer wielding foe who continues to shamble after the hapless adventurer. We then see Chris take to the rooftops to try and avoid enemies who simply head on up after him. The persistent bunch weather Chris' throwing grenades and weapons fire to keep on coming at him. When none of that work Chris nabs a machine gun and incendiary grenade and gets up to a higher level on the roof in order to put them to good use. During his maneuvering he's caught by an enemy and has to shake them off by moving the analog stick and matching a button prompt.

The remainder of the demo showed Chris making use of whatever he could in his surroundings in order to avoid or defeat his enemies. Takeuchi noted that the town is considerably larger than the one seen in RE4. In addition he stated that the large enemy with the hammer was basically a one hit foe (Kawata was using an invincibility cheat for the demo) that players will know to respect fairly quickly. Outside of the demo Takechi didn't offer too much more insight into the game, noting only that more would be revealed at E3.

Destructoid:

Kawata-san realizes his mistake -- forgetting to barricade the door -- and he runs over to a nearby shelf, tapping “A” furiously to push it in front of the damaged door. The enemies slam into the barricade to no avail, before wandering off, apparently to look for another way in. He’s safe for now, and takes this moment to explore the room, pulling out a long knife to smash through a pile of tomatoes. This, as we soon see, is only a hint of the environment destruction planned for RE 5. Seconds later, enemies are coming in through the roof -- yes, through the roof. The enemy AI appears as aggressive, if not more so, than in RE 4.

Baddies drop in to the room, wielding axes and pipes, some stumbling slowly, and others at a frenzied pace. Kawata dispatches most of them easily with his firearm, with a few well-placed shots taking them down with little trouble. But more are coming, and by way of sheer numbers, a few break through his defenses. A wild-eyed villager wearing a tattered plaid button-down shirt leaps at Chris, and the game prompts Kawata to shake him off with the analog stick. Kawata runs up to a stunned enemy and delivers a powerful uppercut which sends him flying, a move that’s use is evocative of Leon’s roundhouse kick in RE 4. More shots fired clear the room, but the silence and calm doesn’t last long.

The room rumbles as a gigantic hole is torn in the side of the building, and we see the source of the destruction -- a mask-wearing giant wearing what appears to be a leather smock is wielding a gigantic, makeshift axe/hammer of some sort. Even with all of its brute strength, the weapon-wielding fiend has to heave the weapon -- what appears to be a cinderblock chained to a pole -- with terrifying force. As if that weren’t terrifying enough, the newly created opening lets hell enter the room. Kawata clears a path with bullets, and quickly makes an exit.

It’s here that I realize just how beautiful RE 5 truly is. Using an advanced version of Capcom’s MT Framework engine (which powered Devil May Cry 4, Lost Planet, and Dead Rising), it’s clear that the title is set to drop jaws the same way RE 4 did when it first hit the GameCube and refined “gorgeous” in gaming. Describing the game’s visual quality is as easy as me telling you to look at the trailer. What you see is what you get -- all of that is done in the game’s engine. And despite some framerate issues in the demo (60% complete, remember?), there’s no doubt Resident Evil 5 may set a new standard for visuals in gaming.

Out from the confines of a tiny room, we see the true scope of this area. It’s a huge village, clearly torn apart by inhabitants gripped by this maddening sickness, and the enormous hammer-wielding psycho tearing apart pieces of the world isn’t helping matters. I confirm with Takeuchi that all of the damage we’re seeing is unscripted, and completely in real-time.

“One of the things that existed in the Resident Evil series for a long time was the idea that you could just hide somewhere that there weren’t any enemies,” he tells me, “and then you were safe. [Resident Evil 4] changed that a little bit, where you could created barricades. So to expand even further on that, to increase the tension that the player feels, and to make them feel even more afraid, [that] is one of the reasons we added the ability to destroy environments, and break stuff down. To get rid of your last hiding places.”

At this point, it’s just a matter of survival, as dozens of villagers seem to be crawling out of the woodwork. Kawata is doing a decent job of fending them off, either by tossing incendiary grenades at crowds, climbing up ladders and hopping build to building, or taking them on one at a time with massive shot gun blasts. At one point, Kawata fires up at a power line, dropping an electrified transformer to the ground to trip up his enemies.

It’s not hard to be reminded of the first village in RE 4, but Takeuchi is quick to point out that the area is four times the size as the now-classic encounter. In fact, so much of RE 5 at this point seems an awful lot like the previous game. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, in a clear case of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” But there’s a clear emphasis on fast-paced action in RE 5, which is a fact which Takeuchi himself admits. Because of this, we’re told that quick time action events will appear even more often than in previous titles, even outside of boss battles; one example he gave was being knocked down by the hammer-wielding giant, and having to press buttons to dodge out of the way of his weapon.

IGN:

For one thing, this area is four times the size as the village from RE4. And more importantly, it showcases the high level of destructibility in the environment. When the demo begins, Redfield's safehouse is being infiltrated by villagers. After a short time fighting them off, we're introduced to a new enemy -- an axe-wielding behemoth who smashes through one of the walls of the house. As Redfield dashes to escape, the axe-wielder swings wildly, obliterating villagers and smashing through the environment.

Though the demo showed little of how you will use the environment to your advantage, RE5 Producer Jun Takeuchi promised that you will be able to set traps for enemies. But or in the case of our axe-wielding friend, can simply smash through a carefully laid trap or any other obstacle in his way. And when he catches you, expect either a head-crushing hammer down swing or to be grabbed by the throat and throttled.

Though RE5 uses similar gameplay mechanics as the previous iteration, there's definitely more mobility this time around. As Redfield attempted to escape the mob, we saw him climb to a roof, leap onto a broken down bus, and eventually take sanctuary in another building. While nothing about RE5 says "run-and-gun" there does appear to be a slightly faster pace, more ways to approach enemies, more places to hide and more room to maneuver.

And you will want to maneuver, because the AI has grown smarter. If you have a laser sight on your shotgun, for example, and aim it at an enemy, they will dive out of the way. So while the laser sight helps with aim, it finally has a penalty -- your enemy knows when you are aiming at his junk. Whatever you do, don't let the villagers grab hold of you. Their slack-jawed faces burst open with a venus flytrap-like mouth that attempts to devour Redfield.

At least you have some defensive abilities. Aside from just pushing people off, Redfield now has a modest set of melee moves to kick and punch enemies that get too close. Of course they won't get close to you if you set them on fire. Rather than place bright red explosive barrels in the village, Capcom placed bright red incendiary barrels. Shoot one and it sets the area ablaze. The gorgeous fire spreads and sets enemies alight. Editor's note: Fire doesn't seem to bother the axe-man much.

What's impressive is the level of detail in RE5. Chris has a knife in a scabbard strapped to his back that bounces with his movements. You can see strands of hair moving as he turns his head. When injured, you'll see blood trickling down a sleeve or Redfield's forehead. Even the enemies, who could be primetime players in the latest House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes of a Stranger slasher flick are beautifully grotesque in their detail. You can see far into the distance if you get atop one of the buildings and, as we said before, there's a lot more packed into the environment. Gears of War 2 and Killzone 2 are going to have some competition for best-looking game of this generation.

1up.com:

Following that, the game's co-producer Jun Takeuchi gave the first demo of the game live in action. Taking place in the African village setting during broad daylight he mostly showed off the range of combat options while negotiating the shanty structures of the town. Partway into the demo, an imposingly large man wearing what looked like a blacksmith's apron and wielding a huge axe started relentlessly stalking him through the village. While he was set to be invincible in this demo, the devastation wrought by his axe swings left little doubt of his power. Had Chris not been set to invulnerable as well, Takeuchi explained, several of the strikes would have resulted in death.

Good to Go: Along with silencing the questions of where the game takes place, the answer to the question "Why Africa?" leads to several indications that this Resident Evil will figure prominently in the overarching story of the series. Takeuchi noted that Africa is frequently referred to as "the birthplace of humanity." It also happens to be where the progenitor virus, from which all of Umbrella's research subsequently sprung, was originally found. That points to this installment potentially delving into answers as to where it all started. To further support that idea, note that the villagers can be seen transforming their heads into tentacles to attack and consume other people. Alexia Ashford in Code Veronica exhibited similar abilities resulting from the injection of the Veronica variant of the progenitor virus, and she retained her intelligence, much as the villagers in Resident Evil 5 appear to still be coherent to some degree.

Good to Go: One of the main reasons the villagers appear to still be in some control of their faculties comes from the intelligent way they attacked Chris around the village in the demo. The AI determining their actions goes well beyond that of shuffling zombies. Enemies clamored over walls, improvised weapons out of piping and whatever else was at hand, and came at Chris from every direction -- circling around, flanking, and even waiting to ambush him around corners. They also showed an ability to recognize both where Chris was headed and awareness of the lay of the land that enabled them to take routes to cutoff his path when he went to the rooftops or tried to duck into a structure to evade them.

Good to Go: Environmental destruction and a natural physics system combined to make the experience shown during the live demonstration extremely immersive. Blasting villagers in the chest with a shotgun at short range didn't just make them flinch; it physically took them off their feet and launched them backward, a particularly effective trick near the edge of a roof where it flung them over the edge. Location-based damage allowed Takeuchi to handle large numbers of attackers by knee-capping a few to slow their advance and then whittling away at their numbers. And the big axe-wielding enemy provided the most extreme example. With one swipe he could bring down the rickety walls of huts Chris might try to hide in, and a baseball swing levels everything in its path: villagers, walls, and Chris alike.

Gamespy:

Like in the last game, you'll also have to take down some tougher enemies from time to time (not that swarms of terrifying creatures aren't tough). At one point, a hulking behemoth with a giant axe smashed through one of the storeroom's walls and began swinging it in Chris' direction. While this didn't appear to be a boss battle in the traditional sense of the term, there was no doubt that he wasn't a garden-variety enemy. Thankfully, he actually gave Chris a little more room to operate, as his axe took out multiple enemies with each swing. We're hopeful that this was just a taste of things to come, as the boss battles in Resident Evil 4 were all very memorable.

As he was trying to escape from danger and eliminate as many enemies as possible, Chris used a number of different weapons, including a powerful shotgun and a submachine gun. The effect of these weapons were almost identical to those in Resident Evil 4, although we did notice a few changes to the way you can use the environment to your advantage. Rather than simply exploding when they were shot, the barrels leaked flammable liquid that spread across the ground, setting multiple enemies alight. We also saw the standard and incendiary grenades in action, both of which seemed to be a bit more powerful than their RE4 counterparts.

You'll also be able to use the environment to gain the upper hand on your foes in ways that don't involve shooting, as the developers have made the environments less linear than they were in previous games. In one sequence, we saw Chris climb to the top of a shack, toss a grenade into the crowd below him in an attempt to scatter his enemies, then hop over to another rooftop as they ambled after him. Upon dropping down, he headed into an alley, which forced his mindless foes into a bottleneck. Tossing an incendiary grenade into the mass took out far more of the infected than it would have in an open area, so we're hopeful that you'll be able to plan your attack to best take advantage of the terrain and urban layout.

As mentioned above, Resident Evil 5 looks a lot like RE4, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have all of the visual bells and whistles that we've come to expect from Xbox 360 and PS3 games. There's an impressive draw distance on display whenever you get to high ground (though your view may be obscured at times by the smoke pouring into the sky), and you'll actually notice heat ripples from the sun's rays reflecting off the ground. Moving from a dark, indoor area out into the sun will make it tough to see for a few moments until your "eyes" adjust, yet it never seemed too overwhelming. We were told that the interplay between light and dark would be a major part of the game, although we also learned that the heat mechanic that was originally planned (that is, Chris will wear out if he doesn't get some shade or a drink of water) has been scrapped.

I think it's just that we are a nice bunch of sensible, level headed people here in the Other Consoles board. Look at the Wii Board and you'll see what i mean ("Burn Ubisoft! They make no games i want to play! Im bored of the same old crap, i want what the 360 and PS3 have. But i will NEVAR admit it!!1!111!!!!")

Why don't you just express your opinion without insulting the people who have it?

Why don't you just express your opinion without insulting the people who have it?

Does it matter? He´s making the same point either way

It dosen´t really matter what is said because it´s just the same argument over and over again with both sides to stubborn to shut up about it.

We were curious, in light of new media that seems to show a more racially diverse set of enemies and a noticeably less WASP-y new partner for Chris Redfield, if the team had taken that criticism to heart and altered some of their design decisions

Resident Evil 5 producer Jun Takeuchi told us "No, not really." He said via his translator that cries of racism "didn't have any effect on the game design."

On the subject of Chris Redfield's new sidekick, one who appears to lean toward ethnically ambiguous, Takeuchi said "We wanted Chris to have a partner who was familiar with the environment. She's been in there since pretty much the beginning."

"In terms of the reaction, we're in the business of entertainment," Takeuchi said. "We didn't set out to make a racist game or a political statement. We did feel there was a misunderstanding about the initial trailer."

The Resident Evil 5 producer said they'd sent a team of Capcom staffers to Africa to do research in the area, stressing that they had decided to include Arab and Caucasian peoples based on what they'd seen while on location. We found it odd that there was virtually no non-Black representation in RE5's debut trailer, but Takeuchi was adamant that the current product is in line with their experiences.

Whether the inclusion of a supporting character who isn't of the white guy persuasion and a more ethnically diverse cast of slaughtering victims will in any way address concerns of racism or insensitivity remains to be seen. What we do hope is that, regardless of the changes to this marquee title, the discussion continues about the topics it seems to unintentionally address.

Does it matter? He´s making the same point either way

It dosen´t really matter what is said because it´s just the same argument over and over again with both sides to stubborn to shut up about it.

Yeah it matters, it annoys the crap outta me for one. It degrades what can be sensible constructive debate into a shit throwing contest. And the guy's a freaking mod, what kind of example does it set for new guys coming in when the mod is taking the piss out of people trying it state an opinion? And it's not that the arguement never ends, I don't care, its that it's reduced to petty name calling.

I need to eat.