NEurope
Retro_Link

Resident Evil 5

Thats how everyone should play :laughing:

it could easily have led to some form of fight. it was the best thing ever.

dear god the wesker/jill fight was tough on pro. died 32 times over the level, me and my mate were raging, losing our temper with each outher and being generaly angry the whole time.

This is exactly why I hate videogames....especially hard videogames. Why bother lol:grin:

This is exactly why I hate videogames....especially hard videogames. Why bother lol:grin:

cos when it finaly went well it was the best thing ever.

The Resident Evil 5 experience with my friend was awesome. Especially the end boss. :grin:

So many great moments!

You know what the most exasperating one was? in Chapter 5 me thinks when you have to turn the mirrors of sunlight. He kept getting in the way somehow. :p

Thats how everyone should play :laughing:

Oh god, I agree! I was at my mate's house with my cousin and a few friends a while back, and we were on RE5 mercs. My cousin and one of my mates started (jokingly) ranting at each other throughout the entire match. Seriously, this went on for minutes, to the point where they kept trying to blow each other up. It was hilarious. They still managed to kill every enemy on the level before the time was up though, which netted them an SS rank. I swear my cosuin is inhuman when it comes to gaming...

some of the stuff in that artwork looks way cooler than some of the shite they actually had you doing in RE5.

some of the stuff in that artwork looks way cooler than some of the shite they actually had you doing in RE5.

Give this man a cookie. Hit the nail on the head.

dear god the wesker/jill fight was tough on pro.

I finished the game on Veteran co-op, 1st playthrough for both of us, 2 days ago and I must say that fight sucks. And so do most of the boss fights in this game. Goddamnit, how the hell did they manage to include such shitty boss fights in this game?

RE4 had some awesome and very memorable boss and mini-boss fights (Gigante, Bitores Mendez, Salazar, Verdugo (or "Right Hand"), "It", Garrador).

RE5 recycles most of the boss fights so they get pretty old. The character Irving is pretty much Salazar recycled, both in his part in the story and his ultimate boss form concept. Except he's not nearly as memorable as Salazar.

The Uroboros fights are based on the Verdugo fight, but are extremely boring and annoying, whereas Verdugo was extremely claustrophobic and truly frightening (add to that the fact that you literally couldn't kill him on your first playthrough and you got "holy shit!").

Gigante, of course, but they managed to fuck that one up by putting you stuck in a jeep with a turret. Huh? What?

That boss fight in the ship (Excella) is also pretty awful, the one where you use a satellite weapon. You know, like the Hammer of Dawn from the Gears of War games (which are far superior, both of them).

Most boss battles in RE5 sucked (in my opinion, of course), but that Wesker/Jill fight and also the last Wesker fight take the cake on awfulness. "There's no point in hiding"... Ah, fuck off, Albert. :zzz:

The generic enemies, the Majinis, are also very lacklustre in comparison with the charismatic Ganados.

All in all, RE5 was a big disapointment for me, it's extremely short (I think it's shorter than the 1st disc of RE4 on the GC....), the boss fights are not fun and it has even less puzzles than RE4 did. RE5 has what, one puzzle? The one with the light beams. I can't remember any other.

The parts where you fight off hordes of Majinis are of course the best ones, but still no fight from RE5 compares to the cabin siege in RE4. Or the water room in the RE4 Castle. Or the dining room where you're in a cage with a Garrador. Or the labyrinth, or the towers with the moving bridge, or the regenerators (although they brought back the lickers and they fill in for the regenerators), etc, etc. Damn, RE4 had such brilliance and genius. RE5 is a pale copy, it doesn't deserve to be called Resident Evil 5. This should have been a lame rip-off with some other name by some other company. As it is, it's still a lame rip-off, but it's called Resident Evil and it's by Capcom... :sad:

Edited by ...

Despite bullshit like this marvellous article,* my friend has just emailed me an internal Capcom memo: they expect the PC version of Resi 5 to sell between 800,000 to 1,000,000, and total Resi 5 sales to be between 6 to 6.2 million by fiscal-year's end.

* Just to illustrate my point, here's a quote from N-Europe:

Takeuchi's answer suggests Capcom have been somewhat thrown by the less-than-stunning response to Resident Evil 5.

Yes. N-Europe say Resident Evil 5, with its 85.5% Metacritic average, and sales of 5 million copies to date, making it the best selling Resident Evil game ever, had a "less-than-stunning response"...

Despite bullshit like this marvellous article

Yes. N-Europe say Resident Evil 5, with its 85.5% Metacritic average, and sales of 5 million copies to date, making it the best selling Resident Evil game ever, had a "less-than-stunning response"...

I believe the 'Less-than-stunning response' was referring to the actual response from the game itself, i.e what people think of it as a game not the sales...

Of course the game sold well, it's Resident Evil! people will buy it on name alone, but next time your in games store have a look at the pre-owned section because yesterday I spotted between five and ten pre-owned copies of Resi 5 and this was just in an independant store, lots of people may have bought it but not many decided to keep it.

A series reboot is required for the sixth installment, as fun as Resi 5 is, it's just Resi 4, stripped back to a more action orientated title complete with larger set-pieces, some of which don't even fit that well, the co-op is great but it's only to make up for the fact that on a single player 'classic' resi level, it's sorely lacking.

As an action game though it's very satisfying. :heh:

Of course the game sold well, it's Resident Evil! people will buy it on name alone, but next time your in games store have a look at the pre-owned section because yesterday I spotted between five and ten pre-owned copies of Resi 5 and this was just in an independant store, lots of people may have bought it but not many decided to keep it.

I'm not sure I understand your logic.

1) The game is one of the biggest selling games of this generation. Lots of people bought the game, so naturally there will be more pre-owned copies that other titles.

2) Once you complete the game, there's not much more for general audiences to do (you know, the type of people who don't replay games or desperately seek unlockable modes). So people trade it in.

Well, reboot or sequel, I doubt it'll appear on Wii. If Wii can't handle Resi 5, how could it possibly handle a technically more advanced title?

I'm sticking with my PS3 version of the game and I've heard that Capcom haven't finished with RE5 on either 360 or PS3 in terms of DLC so perhaps all the new costumes from the PC version will come over to the consoles later on.

It looks like they stuck in that last bit of concept art later on to pretend that Sheva was going to be in it all along.

Bump.

Anyone with this on PS3 fancy going through it on Veteran with me sometime? I know Uncharted 2 is out soon, but maybe sometime between this and MW2?

Bump.

Anyone with this on PS3 fancy going through it on Veteran with me sometime? I know Uncharted 2 is out soon, but maybe sometime between this and MW2?

I need to do it on proffesional if you fancy that?

I haz infinite Rocket Launcherz!!!!11!1!!

Oh yeah, thats what I meant haha. Do I need to have done it on Veteran to do it with you on Professional?

Nah, the professional difficulty level will unlock when you join my game.

So after Uncharted ya?

Hmm, it's € 9,50 on Steam now (for 18 more hours).

I've always wanted to get this when I eventually get a PS3, but since I haven't got one still, I may take advantage of this offer.. Usually I'm not interested in buying games on steam (I prefer physical copies), but this will give me my RE fix untill I buy a PS3 ;). But since it's co-op, this'll be only fun if I have someone to play with.

So I was wondering if there are any PC RE gamers who want to co-op with me later, if I decide to get this, or if there are any gamers who also haven't played RE 5 and may be interested in buying it from Steam for € 9,50.

I'm not sure about keyboard/mouse controls (don't have a X-Box controller), but the graphics should be better on PC, and Steam integration is always handy.

Again, the offer only lasts 18 hours, so if any other people are interested, please post before Doctor Who starts :D.

Edit [00]:

I don't think this includes the DLC from the gold edition by the way.

Edit [01]:

Took an different approach, I bought 2 copies and created a new steam account. Whenever I buy a new computer (which won't be soon, my current one doesn't exactly need replacing :D), I'll be ready for local multiplayer. In the meantime, anyone who's up for a game can PM me ;).

Edited by Sméagol

Quite the bump here - sorry.

Just purchased for PS3. There is an update which I have been able to install, fine. However, as I enter the game it says I must connect to PSN (obviously not possible at the moment) or I will not be able to do so - does this mean at all when playing the game?