NEurope
Retro_Link

Resident Evil 5

The end boss thing? Seriously. We died TWENTY TIMES on 6-3. Fuckin' QTEs that make no sense. I play as sheva, just hanging there, hammering away at x not having a clue what I'm doing right or wrong. Disgusting. Stressfullll!

Had a go on mercenaries. I like Sheva's rifle, but a bit annoyed at myself for getting just under 40k for the A rank. I've always sucked at merc mode, so practice here i come!

The thing is, we were doing it wrong. the cpu shoots the boss on single player which prompts a small cutscene and makes him chase her, but there's no way to know what you're supposed to do on co-op....

Just completed it with Chris the great. It was a lot of fun in co-op. I'd not bother in single player really.

As for the story. Well, it is crap.

The fact it is set in Africa is also basically a non-issue after about half way through. What a way to waste a perfectly good setting.

So you go from an African village. To some kind of underground temple (I was wondering when Lara Croft was going to turn up), to some high tech top secret lab basically hidden in and under this temple.

Lucky there was the conveniently placed volcano to precision crash into at the end.

I can deal with suspending my belief to a certain extent but this is just stupid.

Looking back, I'm surprised one of the chapters didn't take place on the Moon.

Also I'm getting a bit bored of the mutant enemies. Bring good old zombies back.

I did like the co-op.

Don't worry Daft, I think they will save that for the next game (The last sentance in your spoil).

I agree, with RE5 having the better story, but it was obvious, the game obviously was going to have a much deeper story then what 4 for the simple reason was that 4 was a way of starting up something new, it would seem that Shinji Mikami originally was going to make 4 the start of something big.

But now it seems like Capcom have put that in the shitter and now seem to be starting something new.

The story was Shite! Worst setting for a resi game, worst story for a resi game! However if you look past it being a resi game, its pretty good. Anyways...

Trying to play through again but it just dosnt seem to make me want to like the previous ones did :(

Why does the story matter? This game is about blowing up heads with shotguns.

Why does the story matter? This game is about blowing up heads with shotguns.

That hasn't changed one iota since Resi 4 so why not save money and just play that again?

4 was an interesting change from zombies, into humanesque monsters. 5 makes no such leap.

Infact iv just played resi CV on my dreamcast and it still holds out as the stand out game of the series for me.

I miss my old resi games, i want the survival horror genre back. I want the warning at the begining of the game "This game contains scenes of explicit violence and gore". Resi 5 and to an extent 4 are no longer resident evil games in practice only in name.

I strongly believe that one sequel in which there is little change is perfectly acceptable, and even more so when Capcom have admitted they will completely revamp the series again. Zelda and Halo introduce fairly little between many of its games, but no one cares!

Yeah thats what i thought, it's not like there doing this all the time. It's only there first and it's on next gen.

I'd say RE5 is a huge change from RE4 as it's a co-op game. You might not like that, and that's fair enough, but it gives the game an entirely different feel; play a bit of solo Mercenaries to see what I mean.

Oh, to clarify my earlier insinuation: all of the Resident Evil games have ludicrous stories, it's kind of the point given their B movie basis.

Finished it yesterday co-op with Vicar and overall I think it´s a great game that is a great follow-up to RE4.

I´m gonna go out and say that I don´t really miss the old Survivor Horror days of RE but I would love getting to face some zombies again.

Now excuse while I spend the rest of my life playing mercenaries.

Expectations will be pretty high for RE6 whenever it surfaces but for now I'm more than happy with what Capcom have achieved as far as making it fun to play is concerned because I have played this game for what two weeks now? or however long it is since it came out and it's provided me with one of the most engrossing and enjoyable experiences from a game of this generation.

Having great fun on mercenaries.

Unlocked Safari Chris, Jill, Jill Battlesuit, Wesker Midnight.

When is the versus DLC coming out?

The only thing I didn't really like about the story was what they did to Wesker. I hadn't seen Wesker before RE4 since I'd never played RE1 (or anything else he was in), and RE4 portrayed him as a bit of a mastermind who seemed as if he'd be pulling strings for many games to come. When it came down to RE5, however, while he was very good up to the end, he became a bit of a stupid supremacist with cliched lines in the final battle, and was taken down due to letting emotions getting in the way (his hatred of Chris causing him to stick around in a battle to the death with him).

Overall, though, the story of RE5 is better than 4, but only because it collaborates the happenings of the previous games, rather than being a separate side-story.

Read this about character history.

The story in RE5 has ruin two characters from the RE series.

For Wesker to control the Africa region so he could launch Uroboros, Wesker had Jill go around administering Type 2 Plagas to locals, creating a Majini army that could stop the BSAA once they arrived to shut down Irving's black-market arms deals, which were funding Uroboros. One of the files lying on a table early in the game says Type 2 Plagas are modified plagas administered orally (which you see happen to the black Majini early in the game). Type 2 Plagas take over their hosts instantly, unlike the slow growth of the plagas in RE4, and as an added side effect they sometimes cause size and strength increases, as the game notes with the Giant Majini. Also, on the ride across the savannah Josh contacts you by radio and says they're dealing with plagas.

According to Excella's file, Wesker seduced her and helped her take over Tricell Africa so he could restore the original Umbrella Research Facility near the Ndipaya ruins and finish research on the Stairway to the Sun flower, using the extracted Progenitor Virus to power up Type 2 Plagas and create a new organism, Uroboros, that has one of two effects on its host: it rejects their DNA and "evolves" them into a writhing mass of wormy pustules that consume all organic material but can be controlled like any other plaga, OR it accepts its master's DNA, binding with him to create a superhuman. Wesker knew he was the only one who could handle Uroboros; the rest of man would transform into a race of monsters that'd live peacefully under his god-like control. And so he ultimately wants to detonate a smorgasbord of Uroboros-loaded missiles high in the atmosphere, spreading the contagion on the wind for "complete global saturation" (I take it this is also where the song "Wind of Madness" get its name, Uroboros spreading on the trade winds).

All of the other viruses were merely Wesker's to help fund Uroboros (Irving selling BOWs like U-8 on the black market, which unfortunately for Wesker draws the eye of the BSAA), or to enhance his own BOWs. Jill, for instance, was preserved by Wesker because he found traces of the T-virus in her system and decided to cultivate her into the super-soldier Umbrella wanted all along. So the most important biological agents were the Progenitor/Plaga cocktail that is Uroboros.

Read this about character history.

The story in RE5 has ruin two characters from the RE series.

For Wesker to control the Africa region so he could launch Uroboros, Wesker had Jill go around administering Type 2 Plagas to locals, creating a Majini army that could stop the BSAA once they arrived to shut down Irving's black-market arms deals, which were funding Uroboros. One of the files lying on a table early in the game says Type 2 Plagas are modified plagas administered orally (which you see happen to the black Majini early in the game). Type 2 Plagas take over their hosts instantly, unlike the slow growth of the plagas in RE4, and as an added side effect they sometimes cause size and strength increases, as the game notes with the Giant Majini. Also, on the ride across the savannah Josh contacts you by radio and says they're dealing with plagas.

According to Excella's file, Wesker seduced her and helped her take over Tricell Africa so he could restore the original Umbrella Research Facility near the Ndipaya ruins and finish research on the Stairway to the Sun flower, using the extracted Progenitor Virus to power up Type 2 Plagas and create a new organism, Uroboros, that has one of two effects on its host: it rejects their DNA and "evolves" them into a writhing mass of wormy pustules that consume all organic material but can be controlled like any other plaga, OR it accepts its master's DNA, binding with him to create a superhuman. Wesker knew he was the only one who could handle Uroboros; the rest of man would transform into a race of monsters that'd live peacefully under his god-like control. And so he ultimately wants to detonate a smorgasbord of Uroboros-loaded missiles high in the atmosphere, spreading the contagion on the wind for "complete global saturation" (I take it this is also where the song "Wind of Madness" get its name, Uroboros spreading on the trade winds).

All of the other viruses were merely Wesker's to help fund Uroboros (Irving selling BOWs like U-8 on the black market, which unfortunately for Wesker draws the eye of the BSAA), or to enhance his own BOWs. Jill, for instance, was preserved by Wesker because he found traces of the T-virus in her system and decided to cultivate her into the super-soldier Umbrella wanted all along. So the most important biological agents were the Progenitor/Plaga cocktail that is Uroboros.

Not being funny buuuut...do you do more than simply copy and paste? ::shrug:

I know the backstory now as it tells you what happens throughout loading screens in the game...

Not being funny buuuut...do you do more than simply copy and paste? ::shrug:

He doesn't. His posts might as well all be replaced with a link to the Neogaf forums.

Will the versus DLC add any extra achievements?

Yup, there's extra achivements/trophies for versus;

15g army of one - win 30 matches in slayers

15g eye of the tiger - win 30 matches in survivors

30g the team that slays together... - win 30 matches in team slayers

30g we will survive - win 30 matches in team survivors

15g keep the good times rolling - chain a 20 defeated in slayers

15g it takes two to tango - chain a 40 defeated in team slayers

15g its all about the points - score at least 40,000 points in survivors

15g there's no I in team - score at least 80,000 points in team survivors

20g lets get this party started! - unlock all characters in versus

30g bringing the pain - defeat 100 players using hand-to-hand attacks in versus

Oh, and I've only got about 8 Trophies left to get on RE5. I've still got Veteran and Pro mode to do, so I'll start on Vet in a bit. Though I'm not going to use infinite ammo just so I can get the satisfaction of doing it the proper way, although I'll give Sheva an infinite ammo weapon, as she gets through ammo like it grows on trees. :heh:

Edited by CoolFunkMan

Excellent, absolute must purchase then :) well tbh it was allready before but having something to aim for just makes it better somehow plus I've allready got 1000 G on it so I'm ready for a new challenge. : peace:

I am right in thinking that the 'Slayer' mode is basically four player mercenaries right? I'm just contemplating how awesome that will be atm. :)

That hasn't changed one iota since Resi 4 so why not save money and just play that again?

Because I can play it co-op and with new bosses and new locations?

Yup, there's extra achivements/trophies for versus;

Oh, and I've only got about 8 Trophies left to get on RE5. I've still got Veteran and Pro mode to do, so I'll start on Vet in a bit. Though I'm not going to use infinite ammo just so I can get the satisfaction of doing it the proper way, although I'll give Sheva an infinite ammo weapon, as she gets through ammo like it grows on trees. :heh:

If someone invites you to pro and you complete that you probably won't even need to play it on veteran. When I completed it on veteran when I played the game for the first time it automatically unlocked the trophies for clearing the lower difficulty settings.

That could be a good idea, although I was planning to complete pro the cheap way (with the infinite rocket launcher), as it's apparently so bloody hard!