NEurope
Retro_Link

Resident Evil 5

curse you aimless! had you witheld the picture id be maginaly less poor!

im thinking it'l be hard to sell, even on ebay.

stupid part is i will probebly miss its post due to my dole (sob). thank god they are packing it in anouther box to the game or i might of missed that too.

Worst figurine ever?

id be incluned to say yes.

i bought a cloud one from a market once and its bloody perfect.

if huddersfield market can do a better job then game, what does that say about them?

Mercenaries is one person offline as you get to select from one of the characters (Chris and Sheva in their BSAA gear are unlocked from the start; there's an additional 8 "characters" to unlock, but there's effectively only 4 characters with the rest being largely cosmetic variations and different weapon loadouts). In the menu for it, you also get the chance to play it co-op, including online.

2vwcvb8.jpg

She has gone blond 019.jpg

I got a figure too, its pretty awful :D

Kinda looks like Chuck Norris.

For a second I was gutted as cancelled my preoreder as can't afford it on release day...but after seeing that figure it is no big deal...it looks awful

AARRRAAGGGH I need to stay the fuck out of this thread, I don't like all these spoilers!

AARRRAAGGGH I need to stay the fuck out of this thread, I don't like all these spoilers!

Seconded! I'm just going to avoid this thread for a while. See y'all after I've completed RE5. ^^

Seconded! I'm just going to avoid this thread for a while. See y'all after I've completed RE5. ^^

Thirded. The spoiler wasn't hid at all when I checked!!

*shakes angry fist at Dante*

Not all are major spoilers and the spoilers are in spoilers tags.

Thirded. The spoiler wasn't hid at all when I checked!!

*shakes angry fist at Dante*

Sorry about that, the spoilers tags dont work without cap letters.

What happens when you beat Resident Evil 5? While I can't tell you everything you unlock, I can reveal that a new mode becomes available. Mercenaries mode, popular among RE4 players, is back. Mercenaries is a timed survival mode where you not only need to worry about staying alive, but must lay waste to infected villagers as quickly as possible to rack up a high score.

There are ten playable characters for Mercenaries Mode, though only BSAA Sheva and Chris are available at the start. Now, when I say ten characters, what I really mean is ten different skins. You will, in fact, unlock different versions of Chris and Sheva along with a few other surprise characters. Each character skin comes with its own weapon set, which can't be changed. BSAA Chris rocks a powered-up shotty and handgun, while Sheva has a sniper rifle and submachine gun. Part of Mercenaries mode is figuring out strategies for earning S rankings with a specific set of items.

Survival is a real challenge because Mercenaries is constantly shoveling enemies at you. And just when you think you have a handle on the grunts, one of the tough mini-bosses shows up to boost the stress level. Get lucky enough to survive a long time -- and rack up the points -- and even tougher enemies get thrown at you. You score points by killing enemies and if you can lay waste to several in a short period of time, your combo meter increases. The higher your combo, the more points you earn. Extra time is added for certain kills, but really, your focus should be on surviving until your pal Josh can pick you up. Even if you rack up a huge score, it's all wiped away if you die.

Each level is a modified version of an area from the campaign, with the final level having been made from scratch but set to the amazing visual background of the end fight (which I'll let you discover on your own). You'll have to relearn all of these areas through multiple playthroughs, as you'll want to know where to find specific ammo, the best places to group enemies together for massive combos, and the locations of combo boosters and time bonuses. Knowing a map by heart and plotting your course of destruction is just as crucial -- perhaps more so -- than your ability to master the Magnum or boom stick.

Enemies continually respawn in Mercenaries and, as you might expect, each stage has its own set of enemies. You'll have a fairly good idea of what to expect in terms of a level's enemies based on the campaign, but that really won't prepare you for the coming onslaught.

When one of the incredibly durable chainsaw men shows up on one of the later levels, suddenly your ammo doesn't seem so readily available and your ability to dispatch the lesser enemies becomes more of a challenge. Let's not call it panicking, but really, when you hear that chainsaw rev, it's hard not to moisten your sweat shorts a little. And there's nothing quite like a narrow escape from a chainsaw swipe via a zip line, or discovering there's an RPG hidden in the level. How crazy does it get? There are times when I question whether I want to earn another time boost, because I'm just not sure I can last 30 more seconds. So far, I have never shied from adding more time, but it has bitten me in the ass more than once. It's hard not to push a little harder for a better score, as "A" and "S" rankings unlock more characters.

Each level is a modified version of an area from the campaign, with the final level having been made from scratch but set to the amazing visual background of the end fight (which I'll let you discover on your own). You'll have to relearn all of these areas through multiple playthroughs, as you'll want to know where to find specific ammo, the best places to group enemies together for massive combos, and the locations of combo boosters and time bonuses. Knowing a map by heart and plotting your course of destruction is just as crucial -- perhaps more so -- than your ability to master the Magnum or boom stick.

Enemies continually respawn in Mercenaries and, as you might expect, each stage has its own set of enemies. You'll have a fairly good idea of what to expect in terms of a level's enemies based on the campaign, but that really won't prepare you for the coming onslaught.

When one of the incredibly durable chainsaw men shows up on one of the later levels, suddenly your ammo doesn't seem so readily available and your ability to dispatch the lesser enemies becomes more of a challenge. Let's not call it panicking, but really, when you hear that chainsaw rev, it's hard not to moisten your sweat shorts a little. And there's nothing quite like a narrow escape from a chainsaw swipe via a zip line, or discovering there's an RPG hidden in the level. How crazy does it get? There are times when I question whether I want to earn another time boost, because I'm just not sure I can last 30 more seconds. So far, I have never shied from adding more time, but it has bitten me in the ass more than once. It's hard not to push a little harder for a better score, as "A" and "S" rankings unlock more characters.

As with the campaign, Mercenaries supports cooperative play. Unfortunately, it's not online. Instead, you can play on the same machine in a split-screen mode. It seems unlikely that Capcom could build a great online campaign but not be able to pull off online in Mercenaries mode, which leaves me to believe that its exclusive is intentional. The lack of online is definitely a let-down, but split-screen co-op is nevertheless a blast. Oddly enough, I found it a bit harder to survive with a buddy than solo. Not because there are more or tougher enemies, but because two people need to communicate to succeed. And if that communication is lacking, someone invariably will die. Possibly because I accidentally blew them up.

Mercenaries is a hectic experience that really puts the survival back in survival horror. If your only task was to run around and avoid dying, this wouldn't be much fun or much of a challenge. But the mix of having to confront as many enemies as possible while trying to stay alive adds a level of anxiety to Mercenaries unlike just about anything I've experience in the past year. Whether or not Resident Evil 5's campaign mode is to your liking, it's worth beating to unlock Mercenaries Mode.

I was going to get this on release date but don't think i will now. Bought HoTD: Overkill, Killzone 2, Sega Ultimate Collection and Rainbow six vegas 2 in a very short space of time (2 weeks).... Don't think i need a new game yet.

Although knowing me i could see it in a shop and just kinda buy it... lol.

Just traded in a few games and now I have 83 euro store credit waiting for this :)

Blech! just read the IGN preview, apparently mercenaries mode if definitely NOT online but there is local co-op but split screen, this wouldn't be a problem but I just hope that it's proper split screen and not that crappy two small windows with a huge black background from the demo. >>

Personally I think it'd be nice if it at least supported system link, but then it would add even more fuel to the fire of why not online? maybe they will add it as dlc at a later date... if so I would pay for it, just seems like a missed opportunity is all. :/

Blech! just read the IGN preview, apparently mercenaries mode if definitely NOT online but there is local co-op but split screen, this wouldn't be a problem but I just hope that it's proper split screen and not that crappy two small windows with a huge black background from the demo. >>

Personally I think it'd be nice if it at least supported system link, but then it would add even more fuel to the fire of why not online? maybe they will add it as dlc at a later date... if so I would pay for it, just seems like a missed opportunity is all. :/

IGN are wrong about that you can play mercenaries mode co-op online.

IGN Review

UK Verison

USA Verison

AU Verison

9.5 Presentation

Some of its core mechanics are a little unrefined but it's a feature-rich and gloriously presented offering.

9.5 Graphics

It's an absolutely gorgeous game, with simply staggering character animations, environments and sheer attention to detail.

9.5 Sound

In terms of blockbuster calibre production, it sounds as good as it looks. From atmospherics to voice and music, it's a sublime cacophony.

8.5 Gameplay

It mightn't be much of a step up from Resi 4 but the relentless variety and staggering set-pieces are irresistible. Single-player suffers from AI issues though and co-op's where it's at.

8.5 Lasting Appeal

You'll breeze through in 12 hours on Normal but co-op, Veteran and the mighty Mercenaries extend life tremendously.

Outstanding OVERALL

(out of 10 / not an average)

IGN comparison:

Presentation

Still, there are some small differences worth noting. The PS3 presents more brightly, and this helps to bring out more visual detail in dark areas. In comparison, the blacks in the 360 version tend to wash out some of the finer details. In brightly lit areas, however, the PS3's brightness adds a slight haziness to the image that makes brighter colors look a touch washed out. The PS3 takes a hit in the framerate department, with noticeable dips into the low 20's in some especially hectic scenes. It's also worth noting the PS3 version appears slightly more aliased than the 360 version. You won't see this without looking closely because environments generally have so much polygonal detail that straight lines never stand out. Still, you'll notice a slight jagginess on gun models and some simpler environmental objects in the PS3 version.

The PS3 version requires a hefty 4.8GB installation that took me upwards of fifteen minutes. Once the game is running, the PS3 version loaded into levels just a second or two more quickly than the 360. The PS3 will have you loaded in from the level select menu in 10-11 seconds while this takes 12-13 seconds on the 360. It's a small difference and shouldn't be an issue either way.

The biggest factor for most hardcore gamers will be the framerate. If you know in advance that framerate drops are an issue for you than the 360 version should be the one to get. Otherwise, both versions look just as good as one another. The 360 gets the win here because of its more stable framerate, but the PS3 version shouldn't be considered inferior by any stretch of the imagination. Both versions look better than almost any other game out there.

The Verdict

Resident Evil 5 is a lavish production and it's clear that Capcom has put a lot of emphasis on delivering an equivalent experience on the PS3 and 360. Both versions are technically polished and have a level of production value that few games can match. With a wealth of modes, bonuses, and unlockables, you'll be getting a terrific product on both the PS3 and 360. There are some small graphical differences that might matter to some hardcore fans. The PS3's framerate is more prone to dips and has some slight aliasing that's not as noticeable on the 360. The 360 loses some detail with its black levels, but, again, the same happens for the PS3 in brightly lit areas.

While I'm hesitant to say that one version is legitimately "better" than the other, I'm going to recommend the 360 over the PS3. The framerate dips on the PS3 weren't an issue for me, but they might be irritating to some hardcore gamers with a trained eye. If you don't care about framerate, both versions are equally good.

Overall

1. Xbox 360

2. PS3

Public Assembly (Miniboss: Executioner)

The Mines (Miniboss: Chimera)

Village (Miniboss: Tribe Leader)

Ancient Ruins (Miniboss: Elephant Leader)

Experimental Facility (Miniboss: Lickers)

Missile Area (Miniboss: Gattling Gun)

Ship Deck (Miniboss: Chainsaw)

The Prison Hold (Miniboss: Executioner On Fire)

US version of RE5 has it street date broken a week early.

Japan first day sales (03/05)

[PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 222k

[360] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 56k

[NDS] 7th Dragon (Sega) - 60k

[PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z Special Disc (Bandai Namco) - 21k

It's normally the case that 360 versions come up on top.

It's normally the case that 360 versions come up on top.
Yeah why is that when the PS3 is supposedly slightly superior?