NEurope
jammy2211

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Most rpg's gave up on the idea of a full world overworld after the ps1 era as plain and simple you can't have the same kind of geometric detail on a huge world map where you can fly around as you can in towns, etc, so you end up with something that looks laughably ps1 level at best. Even on next gen systems if they went for that type of standard overworld you'd be lucky if they had early PS2 level of detail to keep the framerate decent while rendering a whole planet at once.

Despite that though I've always vastly preferred things with an overworld as it really feels like you're exploring the entire world, instead of a set path through what seems like a tiny section of the world (such as FFX and similar styles)

The system in this game doesn't seem too awful but it obviously is an act of laziness, probably partly to help disguise the fact that they're reusing tons of the same assets from the original game for a very cheap and unnecessary sequel.

You should play Dragon Quest VIII.

The overworld:

Landscape2.jpg

You can fly in it too, high and low, with the same level in graphics. Loading times appear when taking the boat from continent to continent and when entering/exiting cities(which are in correct 1:1 size when seen from the world map) but none while flying.

I own that game but it is fucking god awful boring. I never got far enough to see flying but I assume the visuals of stuff get progressively worse the further you are away from them or something.

Also more importantly though is the world actually a "sphere" or just a large flat area?

The overworld:

You can fly in it too, high and low, with the same level in graphics. Loading times appear when taking the boat from continent to continent and when entering/exiting cities(which are in correct 1:1 size when seen from the world map) but none while flying.

Level-5 am gods (looks at Dragon Quest IX on DS too); and I want them on my Wii.

The overworld:

Landscape2.jpg

more like oblivion

Dragon Quest and Tales of Symphonia overworld are amazing. I love traveling over it and point and click is boring and dull.

Level-5 am gods (looks at Dragon Quest IX on DS too); and I want them on my Wii.

I think it's been confirmed they're working on a Wii game. I think.

Dude!!!

That trailer is so.....Dam I have no cool word except "SVALUR" Icelandic word any way,

why is Lloyd fighting the "good" (I have no idea who he is) guy and the girl and have they announced the other characters playable or just for the looks and plz tell me that they have announced it in Europe.

If my spelling sucks thats because I´m at work and I had 2 min to write this.

Edit: fixed my crazy spelling.

Just watched the trailer and its great.

Go on Lloyd! Kick his butt!!! Great to see Zelos aswell but boooooooo for Collette!

Just watched the trailer and its great.

Go on Lloyd! Kick his butt!!! Great to see Zelos aswell but boooooooo for Collette!

She was by far the most annoying person ever. God dammit i wish you just kill her, seriously *sigh*

Just watched the trailer and WOOO, they're back! :grin:

Lloyd looks so awesome. So does Sheena.

Shouldn't Genis be a bit taller? And shouldn't Regal put some more decent clothes? I mean, he got rid of the shackles (so weird seeing him without them).

And Kratos is not present. Well that was to be expected.

C'mon guys, Collette was alright.

Nice trailer and great to see the old cast is all present and correct. Who knows about Kratos though, but if he's in it then maybe they're keeping it for a later trailer to reveal him.

That trailer is pretty good! The game doesn't really look like a half-assed attempt - they made new anime for the game and the animations are fluent and the textures detailed.

I also really like the new style direction.

Also, Colette must die.

Wow what a freaking awesome trailer. I love it. I wonder what they're saying though. I think the main characters are bad without them knowing it and they're trying to get some special exspheres to work on them (science suit) and they don't realise it's a bad thing and that's why they fight Lloyd.

But damn I want it subbed, I wanna know what it says...

Am I the only one who thought that the fights with Lloyd were training fights? Like how Kratos trained Lloyd in the original?

That trailer is awesome. It looks like it's the intro with Misono singing along with it and the anime though it's weird that most of the scenes are in game. Hopefully I'm wrong about it being the intro.

Great to see Sheena and Zelos again.

Is it just me or does Presea looks older?

Yeah I noticed that Presea looked older aswell.

In regards to the intro I think the full intro will be all anime with that song, this seems to be just made for trailer purposes. I doubt it will beat the intro for Tales of Abyss as that was just fantastic, especially the song.

Am I the only one who thought that the fights with Lloyd were training fights? Like how Kratos trained Lloyd in the original?

I thought that at times aswell because Lloyds expression wasn't fierce or anything but Emils eye colour was different than normal so I just took it as a fight. Same with that squaky character aswell.

That trailer is awesome. It looks like it's the intro with Misono singing along with it and the anime though it's weird that most of the scenes are in game. Hopefully I'm wrong about it being the intro.

Great to see Sheena and Zelos again.

Is it just me or does Presea looks older?

If it is in the intro then we can maybe assume that we'll see a lot of the original characters. But some anime scenes would be lovely.

That trailer is pretty good! The game doesn't really look like a half-assed attempt - they made new anime for the game and the animations are fluent and the textures detailed.
We're in 2007 (2008 when it ships), yet we have characters with no detailed mouths, instead textured, kinda like FFX and OoT; it's kinda stuck in first generation game from the 128 bit era in that sense.

The game is still half assed; yet I've got no doubts that it'll be good, but I never did, it is, though a worse deal than vesperia is, and clearly has a lot less effort.

Pedro, it's a cel-shaded anime game, why would you want animated mouths? I quite like it, though their syncing needs to improve.

Half-assed would be a ToS rehash. This is obviously betteer.

Pedro, it's a cel-shaded anime game, why would you want animated mouths? I quite like it, though their syncing needs to improve.

Half-assed would be a ToS rehash. This is obviously betteer.

Well, because those mouths in some angles look downright wierd; detailed mouths were possible, they just didn't want to do them and have extra work animating them.

Kingdom Hearts 2 also has this cartoony look on the PS2 and has detailed mouths (and other games too); not having them just looks aged; and vesperia featuring Wind Waker'ish cell shading also has detailed mouths (and would be possible on the Wii, too)

This is just half assed, it wouldn't even push the GC; this said, it will be a good game; it's just not enough effort. And this is a ToS rehash, regarding locals and such.

Its not called Tales of Symphonia 2 anymore it called Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk.

Screenshots

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Yea but I imagine me and a few others will keep calling it Tales of Symphonia 2 or ToS for shortness :heh:

Just watched the first 2 Tales OVAs again, man I love Sheena.