NEurope
jammy2211

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Nice idea guys... would be amazing if they gave it away as a bonus disc with ToS2, but if not i would have no problems paying for it (even if it wasn't budget).

I could make a Youtube vid, i usually get good view numbers when i talk bout games, i'm sure i could get a few extra names onto a petition from there. :)

I just remembered something. Eight characters from ToS I will appear in ToS II, but there were nine playable characters in ToS I.....

Ohh just realised that aswell. Wonder if it'll be Kratos then. Seems likely he would be the one since he's away with Derris Karlan and all, but I really wanna see him in some form...

I just remembered something. Eight characters from ToS I will appear in ToS II, but there were nine playable characters in ToS I.....

damn you're right... would likely be Kratos that's missing i'd say too, since we've seen Zelos is in the game.

But who knows he could make a surprise appearence and they just won't say before the game is out so they can surprise us.... though by the time it gets here we'll all likely know already

When it get's released in Japan i'm gonna avoid everything about the game like ToS so it's so much better. Though it would be cool if there was an ending(please be alt ones again) and there was a scene of Kratos walking up to Lloyds house and you seen like his legs and boots then when he approached the house it zoomed out and you seen his back.

Or if Lloyd is evil he can somehow get back to where he is and fight him or something. Oh the possibilites.

ah IGN has an Hand on with TOS:KoR

December 22, 2007 - Thirty minutes into the start of the Jump Festa event on Saturday over at the Makuhari Messe just outside Tokyo, lines for the new Tales of Symphonia game reached ninety-minutes, and never looked back. Waiting that long to play a game for a few minutes is usually a drag, but we didn't have too many qualms about getting an early first chance at the sequel to one of the GameCube's biggest RPGs.

Bandai Namco had Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatoskr, as the game is titled over in Japan, set up for play in eight kiosks, using a demo that was specially prepared for the Jump Festa event. Following a brief chat amongst main characters Emil and Malta, we were asked to explore a dungeon and arrive at a boss within five minutes. Five minutes may seem short for a demo, but the counter thankfully stopped when entering battle.

While the dungeon crawling component of the game didn't seem all that different from past Tales games, get into battle and you'll find some dramatic changes. This latest update to the Linear Motion Battle system keeps your character attacking on a single 2D line in a full 3D battle field. You lock yourself into a single enemy, pressing the minus button to toggle targets, then simply press A to make your character attack, or B plus a direction on the analogue stick to perform a special attack. You have the option of free movement over the battle field, although this usually isn't necessary.

Outside of a super attack move, activated with the Z button when you've adequately built up a super move gauge, the biggest addition to the battle system appears to be the ability to make monsters join your party. You're occasionally asked if you'd like to woo a beast that you've just defeated onto your side. Beasts who have made the conversion can be added to your battle party and used just like any other character during combat. In our play session, we managed to convert four beasts over to the good side; any more, and you're forced to clear out an older monster from your stable.

This Symphonia follow-up makes only minimal use of waggle, allowing you to shake the Wiimote and nunchuck in various ways to achieve special attacks, something that's probably better left to button presses. Instead of tapping the Wiimote, Bandai Namco has apparently decided to tap the Wii's added graphical abilities, as Knight of Ratatoskr looks quite a ways better than its predecessor.

The first Symphonia game was a huge hit amongst RPG-starved GameCube owners, and we expect no less from Knight of Ratatoskr amongst RPG-starved Wii owners. The game hits Japan in Spring, with an international release hopefully not too far out from there.

... hopefully someone did take a video/photo of the demo pod. So we can finally see if this game is in widescreen(I will post it if i found one). If it's not I would be extremely disappointed but I will still buy the game because the hands-on pretty much says that its not so gimmicky like soul calibur legends.

Ohhh, I need to see more of this game. Symphonia was one of my all time faves.

And dammit Nintendo & Namco- get Lloyd Irving in Smash Brothers Brawl.

The first Symphonia game was a huge hit amongst RPG-starved GameCube owners, and we expect no less from Knight of Ratatoskr amongst RPG-starved Wii owners. The game hits Japan in Spring, with an international release hopefully not too far out from there.

You just know that buy "international release" they mean the USA. I reckon we'll get it in Europe for next winter.

From Jump Fiesta 2008:

jf13.jpg

SO1_7221.jpg

Also, seems like Namco unveiled a new Tales game but mentioned no platform; Tales of Vesperia, but sadly, I'm betting on X360/PS3, but let's see.

90 mins waiting in a queue to playtest ToS2 for a few mins, totally would be worth it, wish i was in Japan.

I too don't expect this here till winter 08 at the earliest but that won't bother me so long as I get it. In fact me and Shadow had a small ToS talk in the next ep for the N-Europe Show Podcast...should be on the site before Xmas, just waiting on editing.

*looks at demo pods of TOS2*

jf13.jpg

SO1_7221.jpg

:yay: :yay: widescreen confirmed:yay: :yay:

but i still don't get why some of the developers show 4:3 images of a 16:9 game in the magazines. And hopefully this is going to be released in the west by namco or by nintendo. And not be Japan only like 90% of the tales of game are.

In fact me and Shadow had a small ToS talk in the next ep for the N-Europe Show Podcast...should be on the site before Xmas, just waiting on editing.

My fav quote from any n-europe podcast is when you say the line: "Just like in tales of symphonia when......."

Although that died out after awhile. But I suppose there is only so much you can tell.

Quite impressed that the graphics are supposedly a step up from the GC version. They're not being REALLY lazy it seems...

Controls from Jump Festa 2008 build:

Wiimote:

Normal attack: A button

Tech: B button

Fighting menu: + button

Target change: - button

Specialty shortcuts: 1, 2 buttons

Nunchuck:

Stick: Move

Free Run: Z button

Unison Attack: C buttons

The "change target" button should be in the D-pad or Z button; "-" is just not that practical.

I like the idea of free run. I think the reason 4:3 shots are shown in magazines is so they fit better on the page in some circumstances. Sadly I don't at the moment own a wide screen TV however by then I may have my wii hooked up to one that does letter-boxing if you want to see it in widescreen.

Good impressions thus far. The gameplay works well, now let's just hope the story is also good.

This is raising my hopes up for my own good now. Because of this i'm expecting amazing things thus making it easier for me to be dissapointed. Have Sheena/Lloyd (Kratos Bonus) and a long play time and i'll be more than happy.

I just remembered something else. It's obvious, but still

If Zelos in it, he didn't die and never betrayed the team. A bit dissapointing really. It was a surprising twist and his death was very sad. I wouldn't mind if that was really happened, Zelos is awesome, but the twist was so good.

I'm wishing for Lloyd/Sheena and Kratos bonus too. But I just know it won't happen.

sheena2hq1.jpg

Screw Lloyd, put Sheena in SSBB <3

Some guy who went there:

I went to Jump Festa and they had a Knights of Ratatosk playable demo, along with demos of Innocence and Destiny Remake Leon Version.

Unfortunately i could not play as the line was over an hour and a half waiting time =_= But.. from what I saw people playing, they were holding it nunchuck and wiimote, and in battle they seemed to perform flawlessly, for people playing the game for the first time. So I guess the controls are user friendly.

There was a trailer, dunno if its new, but its of the cutscenes and FMV animation of all the original Symphonia cast, still in original costume. And one thing.. HOLY CRAP I LOVE HOW THEY HAVE FINALLY IMPLEMENTED MOTION CAPTURE. Now the cutscene fights look exciting to watch and not robot-like. On top of that there seems to be a large amount of Sheena clevage as the character models now have more realistic proportions.

GOing back tomorrow, and trying to get some gametime!!!!

Following day:

Ok back from Jump Festa, with a playthrough of Knights of Ratotosk.

Unfortunately I had to play in Semi-Auto mode as I tried to ask whether I could play in Manual, but unfortunately it was lost in translation Sad But.. regardless, the battle system is very reminiscent of Abyss, with the same sort of combo chains. However I couldn't get free run to work (if any..) but the battles themselves were enjoyable with low load times between them.

There were these unison attacks, but I couldn't figure out the conditions to perform them. I just pressed the C button on the nunchuck and it was like the UBEROWNNAGEBUTTON where Emil and.. the girl sorry I havn't remembered the names.. let loose.

Anyway, skills were of standard tales affair, Emil plays like any Tales sword main, using Majinken and Houshuukyaku.. Whereas the girl was like a combination of Farah (speed and dexterity), Collette (chakrams) and Raine (healing), she's the fighter/support character.

The pet monsters make good tanks.

Saw Zelos's, Lloyd's, Emil's and Malta's seiyuu, as well as the Tales Producer, in person. Seemed like the special promo gummy discs live.

Misono sang LIVE the "Ninin Sankyaku" and "Versus". Awesome.

Now Raines playable. Come one confirm everyone as playable T_T And by everyone I mean Lloyd and Sheena, maybe even Genis for magic...

Now Raines playable. Come one confirm everyone as playable T_T And by everyone I mean Lloyd and Sheena, maybe even Genis for magic...
I've seen no confirmation of Raine being playable or in the game, the guy said:

the girl was like a combination of Farah (speed and dexterity), Collette (chakrams) and Raine (healing), she's the fighter/support character.

So the girl character resembles those. (that or I haven't read/understood some info correctly)

Ah damn I read it wrong then :( Thought it was just listing characters there. Damn it all...

Don't worry Shadow, Sheena is confirmed, along with her cleavage (or so "Chuc" said).