NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mcj metroid

Capcom vs Konami

Ok the retro section here is picking up a bit.

I thought i'd get the deabte on here. It's very hard to think of someone to battle capcom but It's likely that if you are a wii fan you will prefer capcom or ps3 you will prefer konami.

Here are some worthwhile series for each off the top of my head.

Capcom

resident evil

devil may cry

street fighter

megaman

konami

silent hill

metal gear solid

contra

note: and yes i intended a poll but messed it up.

I prefer Capcom. They have established some killer franchises of their own as well as providing awesome entries in Nintendo franchises, most notably Zelda.

I like Konami too - they are a great developer who I have been impressed with lately (Eledees), but haven't produced quite the same level of quality IMO.

I say Capcom all the way. They produce wonderful games and the series don't dwindle like Konami's.

Konami have really gone to the dogs lately, in the 16 bit era it was a close call, but now Capcom all the way.

Capcom, they've made many more great games than Konami. I still like Konami though, just not as much as Capcom.

Capcom are the best development company in the world. Konami haven't produced a game worth playing in years, simple as.

Tough call because I dont really get love or hate either.

All I can think of from Capcom are... Street Fighter and Viewtiful Joe. And I dont even own any Street Fighters!

Konami are like ISS (Pro Evo, nowadays I spose but ISS 98 is the pinnacle so far), Probotector, Pop n Twinbee, Cybernator and Castlevania! And those are just the ones that spring to mind.

So from looking at those to lists, I'd vote for Konami.

First of all I just wanna say, I LOVE CONTRA, and Metal Gear Solid is a great series.

That said, CAPCOM gave us DMC (all of which are solid games) and of course Resident Evil. I also know alot of hardcore fans go crazy for megaman aswell :heh:. Finally, they gave me Phoenix Wright...nuff said!

Goron_3, I'd forgot about Phoenix Wright - but I'm yet to play/ own it so that why it didnt spring to mind. Megaman isnt bad, I have the first on VC but its not good enough to sway the list in Capcoms favour. Does Minish Cap count as a Capcom game...?

Capcom easily for me.

They made gave us great games such as DMC, Onimusha, Megaman, Viewtiful Joe, Streetfighter, Monster Hunter, Project Justice, Rival Schools, Poket Fighter, Puzzle Fighter, Under the Skin, Resident Evil, Okami, God Hand, Power Stone, Tech Romancer, VS series to name a few.

Konami have gave us Pro Evo which I hate, Silent Hill which I can never get into and Castlevania again I have trouble playing. In fact the only games I really love from them are the MGS series and ZoE series.

Kudos for Darksnowman for mentioning Pop n Twinbee, think I had that on the SNES and loved it. It was a SHUMP right?

Capcom are the best development company in the world. Konami haven't produced a game worth playing in years, simple as.

Too true, although Nintendo are better, CAPCOM are the best third party.

Tough call because I dont really get love or hate either.

All I can think of from Capcom are... Street Fighter and Viewtiful Joe. And I dont even own any Street Fighters!

Konami are like ISS (Pro Evo, nowadays I spose but ISS 98 is the pinnacle so far), Probotector, Pop n Twinbee, Cybernator and Castlevania! And those are just the ones that spring to mind.

So from looking at those to lists, I'd vote for Konami.

CAPCOM: Mega Man, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Dino Crisis, Street Fighter, Marvel Vs, Killer 7, not to mention tonnes of classic home games and CPS1 AND CPS2 games from the arcade.

KONAMI: You list a lot of classics, but that was back in the day! Now what do they do??? Oh yeah... MGS!

I like them both, but I gotta go with capcom.

Capcom: Megaman (and ramifications), Street Fighter (and ramifications), good Zelda games, Capcom VS games and Ghost 'n Goblins were all games that I enjoyed. Others that I didn't play but look appealing include Phoenix Wright, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand, Power Stone and others. However, for some reason, I have always been indifferent to Resident Evil and Devil May Cry.

Konami: Castlevania, Ganbare Goemon, Contra and a few licensed games (Ex.: Tiny Toons, TMNT) are great. I don't like football, so PES doesn't interest me. I never really played Metal Gear Solid seriously, so no opinion there. Wasn't too fond of Silent Hill 4 (the only SH I played). Yu-Gi-Oh is fun for a while, but easily tires.

Overall: Capcom

EDIT: Most people here are asking recent good Konami games. The GBA Castlevania games were quite good. Have yet to try the DS ones, though.

Kudos for Darksnowman for mentioning Pop n Twinbee, think I had that on the SNES and loved it. It was a SHUMP right?

It sure is. And one of my favourite games - its great fun in two player co-op! More importantly, did you really say you never got into Castlevania??! Ok, so I've only got experience with Portrait of Ruin out of the recent handheld versions, but Super Castlevania IV on the Snes is one of the best Snes games there was! Have you played it...? If you havent then its worth a download for sure! :hehe:

Also, Jonnas... Konami made Tiny Toons did they? I have Buster Busts Loose which was a game I loved when I was wee. Thats another plus point for Konami - obviously if they made the game lol. And I cant believe I forgot Goemon! The list of Konami games I like just keep on growing, maybe I should give them more credit?

And Zechs my man, yeah I realise I listed a fair few old games but as I dont have a Playstation or Xbox or anything its all I have to go on. Capcom may have shown the Cube a bit of support however I dont really care about Resi... but I do have the first Viewtiful Joe game. For the record, I didnt get the Twin Snakes either!

It sure is. And one of my favourite games - its great fun in two player co-op! More importantly, did you really say you never got into Castlevania??! Ok, so I've only got experience with Portrait of Ruin out of the recent handheld versions, but Super Castlevania IV on the Snes is one of the best Snes games there was! Have you played it...? If you havent then its worth a download for sure! :hehe:

I bought SCV IV on the virtual console but didnt think much of it. I remember I had one of the original Gameboy and I loved it to bits. I also have the 1st DS Castlevania sitting on my shelf waiting to be played.

I bought SCV IV on the virtual console but didnt think much of it. I remember I had one of the original Gameboy and I loved it to bits. I also have the 1st DS Castlevania sitting on my shelf waiting to be played.

Well, I only actually got Portrait of Ruin recently and I quite like it. I'm still not used to having two characters, the levelling up way of things, having a host of items to use and the way you can put armour on like an RPG. But its probably as good a way as any to progress the series - cos I do enjoy an RPG!

Just one thing though, you have Castlevanis on the original Gameboy...? Do you mean pre GBA? Cos on the old green and black screened Gameboy wasnt Castlevania... pants? (Or is your gaming tastes just getting weirder with every Castlevania related post... :heh:)

Just one thing though, you have Castlevanis on the original Gameboy...? Do you mean pre GBA? Cos on the old green and black screened Gameboy wasnt Castlevania... pants? (Or is your gaming tastes just getting weirder with every Castlevania related post... :heh:)

Yeah it was on the original GB. What? I was young and naive, leave me alone :)

Also, Jonnas... Konami made Tiny Toons did they? I have Buster Busts Loose which was a game I loved when I was wee. Thats another plus point for Konami - obviously if they made the game lol. And I cant believe I forgot Goemon! The list of Konami games I like just keep on growing, maybe I should give them more credit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tiny_Toon_Adventures_video_games

It seems that Konami did in fact made that game you're talking about.

I also had another Tiny Toons Konami game for Mega Drive. It was huge, fluid and fun. That's why I gave them credit for it.

Yeah it was on the original GB. What? I was young and naive, leave me alone :)

Ok ok, I understand... I have my fair few dodgy games from my early gaming years. Things were so much simpler back then: ie Mickey Mouse and Garfield games were bound to be good... even though they were cack and I didnt know any better!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tiny_Toon_Adventures_video_games

It seems that Konami did in fact made that game you're talking about.

Ah, nice find. I should've though of checking myself! Konami were quite the force when they made the old 2D games.

Ok ok, I understand... I have my fair few dodgy games from my early gaming years. Things were so much simpler back then: ie Mickey Mouse and Garfield games were bound to be good... even though they were cack and I didnt know any better!

Actually, some licensed games from that era were rather good. There are several old licensed games made by Capcom that were quite enjoyable (Alddin, DuckTales), from what I've been told (never played DuckTales).

And it's not just Capcom and Konami. I recall a disney game featuring Mickey % Donald for the Mega Drive that was very appealing and enjoyable. The Lion King game made by Acclaim (I think) was also good. I still play it from time to time and, although the controls could be better, it's still as good as I remember.

After reading the topic title I'm disappointed. I thought this might be about an announcement of a new game in the versus series I didn't know about.. Now that would've been cool! This discussion could be settles once & for all! (or perhaps not..)

Seriously though, imagine the possibilities.. It's not hard to imagine the Capcom side, but I don't think Konami has much experience with fighters? Solid Snake is a given though, with his appearance in SSBB.

On topic though.. I think I favour Capcom, I own more Capcom games than Konami games. In fact, last game I bought was Phoenix Wright 2.

Ha I think the dream would be midway vs capcom with mortal kombat or better still namco vs capcom.

Ha I think the dream would be midway vs capcom with mortal kombat or better still namco vs capcom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaUmJcp3I9E

After watching this video, I have to agree.

Megaman (except Legends), Dante, Phoenix Wright and a few more Tales characters are missing from the game above, but if a fighting game were to happen some of them would definetely appear to kick some ass.

As a Dreamcast and GameCube owner the answer is really a no-brainer: CAPCOM!!! They gave us a ton of amazing 2D fighters on DC as well as Resident Evil CODE: Veronica and PowerStone.

On GC we had all the core Resident Evil series, Viewtiful Joe, P.N.03 (which I happen to think is seriously underrated) and killer7. Konami have never really made games for the consoles I've owned (especially on DC) but I do like Silent Hill and Metal Gear: Twin Snakes.

Castlevania is one of my favourite series.

However, Capcom are the 2nd most consistently great publisher/developer (after Nintendo.) They have a great degree of solid franchises and don't drop many duds.

Actually, some licensed games from that era were rather good. There are several old licensed games made by Capcom that were quite enjoyable (Alddin, DuckTales), from what I've been told (never played DuckTales).

Ducktales on the NES was and still is anamzing game, im hoping for a release on the VC. Oh and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers deserves a mention aswell as that was simply awesome, especially in 2 player mode.

Another great 2D game by Konami was Rocket Knight Adventures. I dont think that I ever beat the game but I played on it loads around my mates house as I never owned it. I never did play the sequel either.

Sign in to follow this