NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
DiemetriX

Is WiiConnect24 damaging Wii systems?

When WiiConnect24 is on the Wii gets hot. This heat has has damaged my video card. I conntaced Nintendo and they told me to send it in and they will fix it.

I was wondering if you keep your Wii on with WiiConnect24 and if you have noticed it getting hot or even damage to your video card.

I really miss my Wii :/

I've had mine connected almost non-stop since I got it (about a week after launch), and I've not had it die on me. Sure, it does get a bit hot, but that's to be expected.

Apparently this over heating is the cause of the graphical anomalies when playing certain games, particularly RE4. If you see odd coloured pixels (usually red or green) when looking up at the sky it may be due to the graphics card over heating because of a faulty heat sink. This happens on my box but I'm not too bothered about it just yet, I'd rather have my Wii here!

Not to be a nit pick, but the Wii has a graphics chip, not a card.

(Anal over)

I can see alot of wii systems failing in the future due to long term heat exposure.

My Wii sometimes blacks out for like 2 seconds which is a pain in the arse when your on a boss or something, and overall a plain annoyance. I don't know if it's got anything to do with the overheating, but its not the component cable or tv as ive had both replaced.

I can live with it.

Tellyn and Caris - what the hell is that picture? Lol.

I've had mine on Connect24 since launch. Once or twice I've noticed it get particularly hot and taken the power cable out. I don't think it helps that I have the Wiimote docking station charging aswell. But I've not had any problems so far.

I've only had my Wii since June 23rd and I'd read too many horror stroies about Wii's overheating on stand by mode. I left on stand by when I first got it but it was becoming VERY hot so I stopped doing it after about a week and have had no problems - I'd be devestated if my Wii broke!!!

One other thing - has anyone noticed that sometimes when you are finished playing a game and try to go 'Home' you get a picture of the Home logo blue-house thing with a line going through it not letting you go back to the Wii menu? Its happened to me a lot especially playing 'MK Armageddon'. Is this a normal thing to happen or is it just me?

I've had my Wii Connect 24 on since launch and mine has developed the graphics chip cooked problem recently.

I have to send it back to nintendo soon, but I've just brought the godfather for my girlfriend so I'll let her play that for a while before hand.

there is a company that makes a special stand that claims to cool your wii off but i've never had any problems with mine over heating, in-fact it doesn't even get that hot.

I was wondering if you keep your Wii on with WiiConnect24 and if you have noticed it getting hot or even damage to your video card.

Those few video cards that start to rot do it because of manufacturing failure, nothing else. Wii gets little warm in standby mode because fan isn't running, but heat is far below anything that could damage components. In fact, amount of heat generated by Wii's standby mode is *very* low if compared against modern computer's heat generation. It is just that there is bound to be some faulty GPUs when you manufacture over million of them monthly.

The heat is tiny compared to my old laptop (it's motherboard burnt out a few months ago, was nearly 2 years old).

Yea, it's just a few affected.

Guys, place a SD card in your Wii. Leave it on stand by for a few hours, pop your SD card out and touch it.

Guys, place a SD card in your Wii. Leave it on stand by for a few hours, pop your SD card out and touch it.

So is the SD card really hot when you pull it out or is it unafected

So is the SD card really hot when you pull it out or is it unafected

The SD card gets extremely hot, this never happens to SD cards in my PC.

I was just giving the Wii my brother then for him to play wii sports with his new 'friend' and it was quite hot, I didn't check the SD card I seem to have left there for quite a while.

what SD card do you have?

If it's the cheap kind they tend to get hot faster than normal ones.

what SD card do you have?

If it's the cheap kind they tend to get hot faster than normal ones.

Toshiba. As I said, gains no heat in my PC.

I can bake an egg on mine if I leave it in standby. Consequently, I turned wiiconnect24 off after a few days.

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but my wii also becomes warmer when playing certain games. This is usually accompanied with my wii making a lot of noise (when playing these specific games).

Its an XBOX 360! My Wii has been on since 4AM 8 December 2007. I've, so far, had no problems (touch wood), but if I notice anything it'll be straight back to Nintendo (sod's law, my Wii goes down the day before Metroid Prime is released!).

Hopefully this is a mminor issue with a handful of Wii's, otherwise we may be looking at another 360 mess.

I really hope this doesn't turn into a 360 thing. They've lost a hell of a lot of money due to the failure of so many systems. I heard they'd lost into the $billions.

Sign in to follow this