NEurope
Happenstance

Boy gets £44,000 in eBay parcel

Police are trying to trace the owner of 65,400 euros (£44,000) mistakenly sent to a 16-year-old boy who bought a Playstation Two for £95 on eBay.

The cash arrived in a box at the house in Aylsham, Norfolk, with the games console, but minus two games.

Police are holding the money under the Proceeds of Crime Act while the matter is investigated.

An eBay spokesman said the parcel's contents were "somewhat unusual" and it would help police with their inquiries.

The boy's parents, who are not commenting, alerted police when the parcel arrived on 20 March.

Family claim

Magistrates have given Norfolk Police until September to hold on to the money before the case comes up in court again.

But, if the money remains unclaimed the family could potentially apply for it to be returned to them under the Police Property Act.

A police spokesman said: "We have until 22 September before we have to go back to court to apply for a further order if necessary."

A spokesman for eBay said: "We know that eBay is a great place to pick up a bargain, although in this case, we agree that the contents of the parcel were somewhat unusual and we will assist with any inquiries the police may wish to make."

Taken From BBC News

Havn't we been over this?

I didnt see a thread on it

It was in MPT.

Here's the posts:

Now I wanna know why would you go to the police, you paided £95 and got £44,000 back, I would just keep it if the people who sent it dont get in touch for a couple of months then spend it.

What a stupid lad for telling his parents. And what stupid parents for telling the police.

maybe the seller was just feeling generouse (sp) i once got 2 packs of pop rocks when i bought a couple of packs of nerds, 'twas very nice of him.

How does a person accidentally send £44,000 in the post anyway?

Stupid of him to tell his parents. I once got a free SNES controller when I got an SNES console from eBay (normally there'd be just one controller, but there were two).

Awesome someone bought my PS2...right, Ps2 boxed. What else is missing. I wonder what this pile of money is. Sod it throw it in.

Seriously, who would tell the police.

The parents probably opened the parcel, and thought they'd get in shit for not telling the police.

If I'd accidentally received a large amount of money from a stranger in East Europe and they new my address... I wouldn't want to keep hold of it!

Up to speed!

:laughing: Thanks for that!

I expect I probably would have gone to the police with it aswell, with that much money id always assume there was something dodgy going on.

reasons to turn it in:

it could be counterfeit

if someone told the police they may think it was drug money

like theguyfromspark said the person could come and kill you to get his money back.

it could be stolen and you could get in huge trouble if the police traced it to you.

If I were a billionaire I would once in a while put in £44,000 in a ebay sale to a lucky customer :) Kinda fun.

If I were a Billionaire I would just sell money. :)

I honestly think that it would be a hard decision for me to make if I found £44,000 in an eBay package. Either way I would buy at least one huge expensive item before telling somebody.

I'd just stuff all the money down my boxers and run everywhere crying.

I'd just stuff all the money down my boxers and run everywhere crying.

ha brilliant!

I would just assume that the money belonged to a scarface type character and as such i would prepare myself for some violence!

Imagine that opening up a parcel and finding that, what would you initial reaction be?!?! I would probably wet myself!

ha brilliant!

I would just assume that the money belonged to a scarface type character and as such i would prepare myself for some violence!

Imagine that opening up a parcel and finding that, what would you initial reaction be?!?! I would probably wet myself!

Well, if i opened a parcel like that i would think i was dreaming. The family did the right thing handing the money to the police, it could be stolen or counterfeit. At least the family won't get in trouble with the police now, they might even get it back in the long run.

They probably were worried due to the fact it may have been the proceeds of crime, as mentioned(well, the act) in the original post. Admittedly, if it happened to me, I'd spend that money until the police pulled me up on it, THEN tell them where I got it.

Technically, I wonder if there's anything wrong with keeping the money if we were to stop thinking it's suspicious. Morally I guess the reasons to report this is (1) it can be a dirty money (2) it was put in error by the sender. If we were to disregard those 2 points, you might as well keep the money?

Obviously it's likely that the money shouldn't have been there. But still, what is given is given. It seems to live up to the spirit of a trade.

Ohnoes we have received a bjillion pounds quick call teh police it is illegalz.

Some people are stupid.

Ohnoes we have received a bjillion pounds quick call teh police it is illegalz.

Some people are stupid.

Drunk much today short-stuff?

At 3pm!? Hey give me some credit :heh:

Truth is I've received a lot of big bills and am running short of money, so to see people throwing money away pisses me off -_- not just the idiot that accidentally sent it but the idiots that are trying to give it back, too.

At 3pm!? Hey give me some credit :heh:

Truth is I've received a lot of big bills and am running short of money, so to see people throwing money away pisses me off -_- not just the idiot that accidentally sent it but the idiots that are trying to give it back, too.

I was a tad drunk at midday yesterday. Was a dramatic morning.

Anyway. I would have probably given it back, I don't want no Russian mafia on my back. But seriously, it would seem so tainted and I would worry about its origin. Whether I'd give all of it back im not sure.

I'd reseal the box and put it somewhere out of the way. Nothing happens for 3 or so months I would open it up again.

...only to find out it's turned orange because of the bad paper it was faked on!