NEurope
Happenstance

Snes Recommendations?

Right, im in a retro gaming mood at the moment and want to get some more snes games. Seeing as I was a sega fanboy growing up I dont know enough of the good ones as I should do.

Anyone got any good recommendations for me?

It depends on what genres you are into...

Any of the mario platormers series and your looking at grade-A quality. Especially Yoshi's Island, mario All-Stars and then Mario Kart. Any of the street fighter games (super street fighter 2 or street fighter alpha 2 (if you find it) are good.) There are also Mortal Kombat games like MK3 there too. Handy.

There are so many RPG's on the system, yet if you like Final Fantasy pick any of them up --Or even better Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana.

There is then Zelda for the SNES which is 'still' astounding and considered to be the pinnacle of the series.

If you like EA they have a massive back catalogue of sports games like FIFA, MADDEN, NHL which are all pretty good. They then had other great games like Desert/Jungle strike series. Konami also released ISS on the SNES and there are various PGA games (not too shabby neither).

Some other notable mentaions are games such as uniracers, zombies ate my neighbours, Starwing, the Donkey Kong Country Series, NBA Jam series, Earthworm Jim games, R-Type games and finally Doom. There are also hundreds of movie tie-ins which can vary in quality but some are quite good. Your best bet is Disney based licences like Lion King, Jungle Book, Aladdin. Which brings my rant to a close. Happy hunting - The SNES is a beast of a machine. And Im sure I've missed many, many more classics out.

just adding really... Super Probotector (aka Contra 3), Super Metroid, FlashBack, Mega Man games, Casltevania games, Super Battletoads, Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike, Super Putty

Ill add more if i have any brain waves

Chrono Trigger

Zelda: ALTTP

Super Metroid

Secret of Mana

All the Donkey Kong Country games

Starwing

Mario Kart

Pilotwings

FFs

Castlevania IV

Battletoads

And a lot more :P

Thanks for all the recommendations, got quite a few of them already but there are some I now need to get.

I found U.N. Squadron (Area 88), Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts and Illusion of time (Illusion of Gaia) to be some fun games, to add to the list already mentioned. The ones in brackets are just the import friendly names just in case. Just make sure you have the Mario games :D

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!

Jurassic Park

Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose

Some less obvious ones

Super Punch Out

Hal's Hole in One Golf

Super Tennis

Hook (yes the movie-based Peter Pan game)

Bart's Nightmare

A game you need to play that no one will recommend you - Plok. It's amazingly brilliant.

Desert Strike, Super Tennis and Stunt Race FX were all fantastic. God I hope they come to the VC one day.

Well...considering that the SNES has the highest concentration of amazing games on any console ever, you can't really go wrong.

I say you go for Chrono Trigger, as it not only fills the criteria of being on the SNES, it's also the best game of all time :yay:

Chrono Trigger

Zelda: ALTTP

Super Metroid

Secret of Mana

All the Donkey Kong Country games

Starwing

Mario Kart

Pilotwings

FFs

Castlevania IV

Battletoads

And a lot more :P

and thats a wrap

If super metroid is anything like the gba metroids i hope it comes out on the VC

Oh Super Metroid is BETTER than the GBA ones. Mostly because it was actually pretty hard. Also it was the first Metroid to have a map (as i remember) but didnt have the hint system. Which for me made it a real adventure game. This will be an INSTANT purchase on VC, although I do actually have the cartridge.

Some great recommendations already cited here so I'll just second some of them and suggest a few others:

Super Castlevania IV

Donkey Kong Country Trilogy

Killer Instinct

Super Mario World

Mario Allstars

Mario Kart

F-Zero

Yoshi's Island

Zelda 3

Pop n Twinbee.

Actraiser: You play as God to defeat Satan by defeating his minions in side-scrolling mode and leading humanity in sim-mode. The first stage has one of the greatest tracks ever.

And Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is great as well. The final boss battle is awesome to say the least.

2 games from each genre (though, needless to say, all you need to do is just get at least one):

Platfoming- Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island

Racing- F Zero, Super Mario Kart

Shooting- Super Metroid, ???

Adventure/RPG- Zelda: ALTTP, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG

Sports- Any Fifa, NHL, etc, etc

Miscallenous- SimCity, Street Fighter 2

Shooting: Doom aint a bad choice but is done better elsewhere. There's a light gun game called Lethal Enforcer on the SNES too. Digitized characters etc...Pretty decent too

I can't beleve noone has mentioned Uni Rally!

Props to the guy who said UN Squadron, great game.

Others: Atraiser, Cybernator, Desert Strike, Lawnmower Man, Aladdin (way better than the shit megadrive version), Flashback, another world....... I could go on!