1. 1. So which is the better series?

• Metroid
    • Zelda
    • Both are crap-Mario FTW!!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the games released over the past 5 years i'd have expected Metroid to be closer to Zelda. I figure there's a lot of old people who worship OoT.

To be fair you can't compare WW to Metroid Prime. A kinda fairer comparison is OoT to MP. Both are the first 3D entries in each series, and both have that sense of awe.

Metroid just seems really boring to me, really 'empty'. I need to play it properly though to judge.

Zelda on the other hand is the greatest video game series ever made :P

lolz

Metroid is more mature. It's probably one of the most mature games on the gamecube meaning you have to be adult enough to not just storm in and fire at shit, instead read things and get involved in the story that way. It is an amazing game, not sure about it's sequel yet. But the feeling of an actual world existing is there more than it has been in any zelda imo. It just feels so whole and sad in a way.

Zelda's great but block pushing does get boring.

Metroid just seems really boring to me, really 'empty'. I need to play it properly though to judge.

Zelda on the other hand is the greatest video game series ever made :P

.....I think it is no surprise that I obviously prefer metroid to zelda games.

Metroid games are NOT for everyone. SOme people find them too hard and what not But zelda games would be more empty.

i mean ocorina of time has a large sparse field and wind waker has the constant sailing.

i actually find zelda games empty. i just cant get into the 3d ones. I love lttp to bits and the handheld ones .

never played twilight yet though

lolz

hey i thought you preferred zelda the last time i created a thread like tihs.

lolz

Metroid is more mature. It's probably one of the most mature games on the gamecube meaning you have to be adult enough to not just storm in and fire at shit, instead read things and get involved in the story that way. It is an amazing game, not sure about it's sequel yet. But the feeling of an actual world existing is there more than it has been in any zelda imo. It just feels so whole and sad in a way.

Well I definately plan on playing MP at some point just to see what all the fuss is about.

LOL great line.

They definately need to change the series for Wii (?) Zelda. Definately a good thing they're taking their time with it.

Well I definately plan on playing MP at some point just to see what all the fuss is about.

LOL great line.

They definately need to change the series for Wii (?) Zelda. Definately a good thing they're taking their time with it.

good and good. With MP just chill out and take your time with it, digest the scan logs at first then you'll get into the world.

They NEEDED to change Zelda somehow. Not too drastically just more than a new gimmick. TP proved how accomplished the series is, but also how formulaic it has become. It basically was OoT with a new gimmick. Unfortunately :'(

I know i own both and was very annoyed at wind waker constantly winning game of the year just because it's a 'zelda' game.

Yeah...I feel that Prime deserved the game of the year award much more than Zelda. Prime was the best game of last generation, without a doubt, and I haven't played a better game since (unless you count games released before MP)

Why has nobody voted for Mario? :'(

Because with Mario, it isn't a debate :p, everyone loves Mario.

Does everybody think that Metroid 3 is going to be very different this time? Cos to be honest, it is formulaic too its just that its better hidden (i feel). I wonder if they are going to take a different tac in the game design because it essentially is a case of "investigate are --> find new item --> new item allows further exploration --> rinse and repeat".

They tried to mix that up in hunters but it was essentially the same. What could they do to change it?

On top of that, what could they do to change Zelda? I'd welcome another Majora's Mask in that sense. Leave the stupid Princess out of it. Make it about Link for once.

lolz

Metroid is more mature. It's probably one of the most mature games on the gamecube meaning you have to be adult enough to not just storm in and fire at everything, instead read things and get involved in the story that way. It is an amazing game, not sure about it's sequel yet. But the feeling of an actual world existing is there more than it has been in any zelda imo. It just feels so whole and sad in a way.

Lol, so maybe block pushings getting old and a bit boring, but its still a rewarding feeling when you solve a tough puzzle and those types of puzzles are typically Zelda. Plus, in Zelda there are plenty of other types of puzzle too!

Right, Metroid. I bought Prime on the day of release - had it preordered in Game and everything! I was really quite hyped for it and remember reading lots about it going from third person to first person etc. I couldnt wait... and I especially couldnt wait to get to Phendrana Drifts, because I do enjoy a good snow level. Anyway, Phendrana came fairly early in the game - which was lucky because I was still enjoying playing it... but shortly after that the game, for me, just fell apart. I was practically never left Magmoor Caverns what with having to go back and forward between the different sections, there was that Sunken Frigate which wasnt overly exciting... and the Metroid Prime just turned into a grind and I just couldnt play it anymore. :hmm:

I never touched it for ages... a year... two years?! And finally fired it back up to see if I could get it completed and off my conscience. Well, it was an extreme grind, shorter than any RPG that I've had to level up through but much much less enjoyable. I eventually got all those stupid artifacts (it sickened me so much having to leg it back and forth to get them all, grr) and after so long, I got to Ridley the scum. I had a few goes at fighting Ridley, but didnt do it. I came close but just couldnt land the final blow. It was close enough for me and I've not touched the game since, until today... which brings me to the bolded section above. I got 82% of items and 83% of scans meaning I didnt rush through it just shooting and progressing without scanning stuff, however I did learn about what was going on - what the Space Pirates thought of Samus, what the Chozo ancients had done... Yet still I was generally uninterested by what the game had to offer... sorry. :sad: