Metroid vs Zelda: 2007

KKOB

So which is the better series?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. So which is the better series?

• Metroid
    • Zelda
    • Both are crap-Mario FTW!!!!

Nintendo's two most amazing and most highly regarded gaming series but which do you prefer and which is actually better?

Samus_and_Link.jpg

Who would win in a fight samus or link?

GCN_ZeldaTwilight_illu01.jpg

820872732_d4efaed782_o.jpg

Which is more deserving or praise? Which is more over rated?

Mwahahahahaaaaa -just get with the talking :heh:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Samus pic is awesome!

Zelda all the way for me. I just find the Zelda series far more accessible than Metroid. I have finished all the Primes but it always takes me ages to get into the game and I have to force myself to play them. Dont get me wrong once I get into the "zone" I love the Prime games, just not as much as Zelda.

One thing I will say about Metroid is that I find the game more rewarding. I dont think I have ever struggled to finish a Zelda game so I dont get that real sense of satisfaction when I finish one but with Metroid it feels like you have earned your victory.

The GameCube Metroid games are better than the GameCube Zelda games in my opinion.

ALTTP is better than Super Metroid to me, and Links Awakening is better than Metroid 2.

Metroid Prime is a more adult series, with great gameplay and excellent level design. It's close though.

On the whole i think that i should vote on which game i'm more excited about. While Zelda: PH will probably be better than Metroid Prime: Hunters, i think MP3 will be better than Twilight Princess or Zelda Wii.

They both share similar mechanics, new areas with themes- fire themed dungeon vs fire themed environment- i just find the rewards in Metroid more satisfying to achieve.

Just some general thoughts. Also, yes it is an AMAZING picture of Samus i found ^_^ god bless google!

And yes, Samus would cain link in a fight. grapple beam the shield away and launch a few rockets up the elf arse :heh:

Zelda easily. From Zelda 3 up to now Zelda has been a series of wondrous games. Its a legendary series. :heh:

Super Metroid... Metroid Prime... make me wish they werent Nintendo games. Fusions the best of a very bad bunch!

In a fight, I'd think Link could do it. I mean, for one thing, Samus is only a girl and secondly, Link has tons of weapons and fighting techniques at his disposal. Samus would be having to scan every one of em all the while Linky-boy would be slaughtering her! :hehe:

Now, if you had put Mario as a serious contender in this vote then it woulda been a difficult decision between Mario and Zelda.

Now, if you had put Mario as a serious contender in this vote then it woulda been a difficult decision between Mario and Zelda.

It kinda is (Both are crap-Mario FTW), and Metroid Fusion >>> Minish Cap-man i hate them Capcom Zeldas.

In a fight, I'd think Link could do it. I mean, for one thing, Samus is only a girl and secondly, Link has tons of weapons and fighting techniques at his disposal. Samus would be having to scan every one of em all the while Linky-boy would be slaughtering her! :hehe:

First bolded section is arguement material :)

Second bolded section made me LOL.

If Link turned into Fierce Deity Link methinks it would be game over for Samus.

Exactly Hero-of-Time, I was telling how it would be if Link played nice and didnt don the Fierce Deity mask. But you hit the nail on the head saying that if he was to suit up, Samus days would be surely numbered!

Takeo Miyazaki has a point about Minish Cap. I loved it but never completed it (yet!) because, well, all the Kinstone stuff seemed a bit random. I've got to the end of the game twice only to be too weak to beat the final boss. However, in Metroid Fusion... as much as I like it (for a Metroid game) I really dont think I got anywhere near completing it. The last thing I remember doing is fighting some kind of spider-esque boss...?

Aaand, regarding the poll... its not Mario v Zelda v Metroid, so choosing Mario didnt seem like a serious option as the thread is really between Zelda and Metroid...?

I felt that Zelda and Metroid were the most comparable of the three. Also Mario has too many shit games out with his name on them, with the other 2 series they're pretty much just proper games not football ones etc.

But if you felt passionately enough about Mario, his names up there.

Let's see now:

-NES: Never completed any Zelda or Metroid game on the NES, so I can't say much here.

Favourite: Neither

-SNES: Zelda fans are going to kill me, but I didn't like LttP as much as most did. Not a bad game, but not a great one either. Super Metroid, on the other hand, was much more compelling.

Favourite: Metroid

-Gameboy: Close call. Even though I loved Metroid II, Zelda had three great games in this system. You can't compete with that.

Favourite: Zelda

-N64: Never played Majora's Mask, but seems good. Ocarina of Time is an All-Time classic.

Favourite: Zelda, by default

-GBA: In my opinion, Minish Cap » Zero Mission » Metroid Fusion » LttP port.

Favourite: Metroid, by a very close call.

-Gamecube: Wind Waker was gorgeous (with small flaws) and Twilight Princess was a huge dissapointment. Metroid Prime was flawlessly gorgeous and Metroid Prime 2 had a few minor dissapointments.

Favourite: Metroid. Wind Waker was excellent, but still not good enough to best the Prime series.

Overall gameplay and atmosphere: Opinions define the better franchise.

-If you prefer exploration on the open field, Zelda; If you prefer exploration in rooms and underground labyrinths, Metroid. (Fav:Metroid)

-If you prefer medieval and/or fantasy settings, Zelda; If you prefer futuristic and/or Sci-fi settings, Metroid. (Fav: Zelda)

-If you prefer bosses that require puzzle solving (therefore being challenging at first, but easy the next time you face them), Zelda; If you want bosses that test your gamer reflexes and quick thinking (therefore presenting some challenge each time you face them), Metroid. (Fav:Metroid)

-If you prefer the dungeon system and a story that develops during the game, Zelda; If you prefer complete exploration and a set story where you draw conclusions based on your in-game research, Metroid. (Fav:Metroid)

-Note: There are exceptions in all of the mentioned points.

Personal Favorite: Metroid, for every reason posted.

Personal Predictions:

-DS: Phantom Hourglass » Metroid Pinball » Metroid Hunters

-Wii: Metroid Prime 3 » Twilight Princess

EDIT: Oh, and by the way. Samus would absolutely pwn Link in a fight.

Samus FTW! : peace:

I have to go with Metroid and here's my slightly elaborate reason.

During my course this year we had a lecture about an interesting program called Strange Analyst which is developed by a company on site at the university. One of the ways that they categorise the games is by an idea called "flinch". Basically you take each of the activities that you conduct during the gameplay and measure them on a scale between "flinch" (something you do quickly and instinctively) or "contemplative" (where you take your time and consciously figure something out). With this you build up a profile for the game. Interstingly, it seems that this is a better way of categorising which games people are interested rather than groups like genres (which was always a broken idea form the start).

What I realised from this was that I like games that give me a really broad spectrum of flinch vs. contemplative. Now both Zelda and Metroid are similar in these respects because they both have a lot of action balanced against problem solving. It keeps the pace of the game changing and therefore stops me getting bored with basically feeling like im doing similar things again and again.

I just think I prefer the profile of Metroid. I find the action more visceral rather than Zelda's which is far less dynamic. Also the puzzles and and spacial/navigation problems (like puzzles and figuring out where you are going) in Metroid are just inherant in its design which make it feel like it just blends into the world. Zelda on the other hand, it just feels really obvious where I need to go and what I need to do almost ALL the time. Admittedly the "Hint System" takes some of the frustration out of Metroid but it does lose some of the fun too.

So yeah, Metroid is just more my sort of game but on top of this I find it a more consistently good series. I feel like Zelda is really getting tired now and unless they radically change the way that it is designed then I dont think that that is going to change.

Zelda, easily!

A Link To The Past is probably my favourite game and Ocarina Of Time is possibly my second favourite. The only Zelda game I've played and didn't really enjoy was Wind Waker due to the whole sailing thing.

Metroid on the other hand... Well I played and completed Metroid Fusion, which was a good game and I loved the start of Metroid Prime but I slowly just lost interest. They needed more organic areas, like the ruins at the start of the game because once it started to get into the hi-tech Space Pirate laboratories I just completely lost interest! I'll give Metroid Prime 3 a go but only because the controls sound so great.

As for who would win in a fight, well I think darksnowman has it spot on!