NEurope
Stocka

PS3 launch: Japan: 2006 | US:summer 2007 AT THE EARLIEST

Oh my.

The Japanese blog CoolGamer, a historically reliable source for Japanese gaming, has exposed that an upcoming issue of Famitsu magazine will reveal Sony's plans for a 2006 PS3 launch for under 40,000 Yen, approximately $400 US.

While CoolGamer has yet to make a false claim regarding the console gaming market in Japan, it should be noted that this is still early speculation, and, more than likely, won't reach the US until summer 2007, at the earliest.

Source: http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/news/49431.shtml

Ooooh jesus, thats pretty bad. That gives the XBOX360 and Revolution quuiiiiite a lead.

Ooooh jesus, thats pretty bad. That gives the XBOX360 and Revolution quuiiiiite a lead.

Tell me about it!

And with a pretty high price I can't see too many people wanting too dish out all their cash for it when they already have 360/Revolution/Both and have plenty of games for them out/coming out.

Also, if this is true surely it means Europe won't see it till Xmas 2007 :shock:

I don't believe it... Sony knows PS2 is on it's last wheels, so they know it has to launch worldwide in 2006, at least in asia and america, this is surely the last christmas for PS2, with titles poping out...

Now if you said that they might delay it further if XBOX 360 sells moderatly... I'd agree, because they should be having a hardtime as always to put the hardware in stores, i'd agree... but that (likely) won't happen as it well probably sell through the roof, so Sony will be hard pressed by it, if so they'll release it as soon as possible on the two biggest markets, I mean... US and Japan.

If this does happen then Sony actually doesn't have a chance, well not a big one. If Nintendo can get people to play the Revolution before the PS3 comes out then they will win over alot of people and if it's $400 in JPN and the US then about £250-£300 in Europe. Then plus that games iwll cost of hell of alot more thanks to Blueray and high development costs, Sony are... well... screwed.

Sony are the master of marketing spin. The PS3 definately wont ship that late and it wont be as expensive as they claimed. Theyre just trying to give the illusion that theyre machine is so powerful that it will take til 2007 to ship to the US and that you will 'have to work overtime to afford one'. Its just a bluffing game with Microsoft.

After all is said and done, the price, graphics, and library of these 2 machines are gonna be nearly identical. The only difference will be 1st party games and bought 3rd party exclusives. Hmm.... just like this generation.

I don't believe it... Sony knows PS2 is on it's last wheels,.

Are you sure about that? It has the most exclusives coming out than any other console next year.

Are you sure about that? It has the most exclusives coming out than any other console next year.
I just dont think it can compete that long with a new next gen console, as for the exclusives, the only one that really calls for me is Tales of Legendia (should be out on the cube, arghhh :mad:) other than that, I might not know the catalogue that well, but the biggest titles are out now, from now on... it's downhill.

the last GT, Metal Gear, Soul Calibur, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil are out, the biggest exclusive left is FFXII before moving over to the next console, nothing left for next christmas, I believe. Even if there is, it's dificult to compete two years straight with a next gen console like Xbox 360, specially knowing that PS2 won't go down from the 99€ pricetag, if a whole year passes that leaves space for X360 to drop prices without response.

Just my opinion though.

Pedrocasilva, you seem like a RPG fan... Well you like Tales anyway. So you don't want the other tales on the PS2? Tales of the Abyss, or the other crazy exclusive RPGs?

I mean for me there are still alot of exclusives I want for my PS2. I'm sure I could name atleast 10 games....Hmm let's see.

Disgaea 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy XII, Grandia III, Kingdom Hearts II, Suikoden Tactics, Suikoden V, Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou, Seiken Densetsu 4, Rogue Galaxy, Wild ARMs Alter Code:F, Wild ARMs: The 4th Detonator, Xenosaga Episode III, Okami, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Shadow Hearts: From the New World, Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss,

But I guess that's just for me, I'm a uber RPG fan. ^_^

Pedrocasilva, you seem like a RPG fan... Well you like Tales anyway. So you don't want the other tales on the PS2? Tales of the Abyss, or the other crazy exclusive RPGs?

I mean for me there are still alot of exclusives I want for my PS2. I'm sure I could name atleast 10 games....Hmm let's see.

Disgaea 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy XII, Grandia III, Kingdom Hearts II, Suikoden Tactics, Suikoden V, Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou, Seiken Densetsu 4, Rogue Galaxy, Wild ARMs Alter Code:F, Wild ARMs: The 4th Detonator, Xenosaga Episode III, Okami, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Shadow Hearts: From the New World, Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss,

But I guess that's just for me, I'm a uber RPG fan. ^_^

Of course I wan't them ;) actually I could buy a PS2 just for RPG's alone, my favorite RPG of all time is Tales Of Phantasia (I actually finished it in japanese on PSone), so I just couldn't pass Tales of Symphonia, having played both Destiny and Destiny II (Eternia) on PSone, I bought my cube mostly for Tales of Symphonia, even if that meant importing it from japan.

Right now i'm short on money with so many games to buy, so i'll pass it, but the ones from that list that I really wanted to play are Okami, Tales Of series, Xenosaga III, Kingdom Hearts, seiken densetsu 4 (arghhh that one should come out on cube too), Dragon Quest and of course FFXII (although I don't believe it will beat my all time favorite FFVI). I might pick a PS3 if they are well manufactured, just to play those games.

As for DS there's lots of RPG's coming that I want too, so that leaves me out of money :) (I tend to prefer 2D RPG's to the 3D ones, with the exception of xenosaga 1&2 DS)

I'll be happy if it's 2007. Why? Because I want one, but with Rev and Xbox 360 coming so soon, I don't want a third new console within a year. I like them to be spaced out so it doesn't hit the bank balance so hard...

But yes, I'm definitely buying all 3 big consoles next gen, so this is good news. Couldn't this, potentially, make PS3 a next, next gen console? I suspect it'll be a similar situation to Dreamcast - PS2, except Xbox 360 is less likely to die a horrible death.

Sony are the master of marketing spin.

Athough our points aren't connected, this statement remains true.

Even if Sony do ship late, I can't forsee them in a one legged, uphill struggle. Nintendo launched late and didn't fare well because their idea of attracting consumers was to throw purple cubes in their faces and get Perrin kaplan to talk about Nintendo's almight prophecy of foreboding messiahs destined to save them that took the form of a number of franchised games, that masses couldn't really give a shit about. Sony on the hand can act as opium to the masses. They can get them romanticised and high with relative ease.

I hope this is true. If it is, Sony will be stuffed like a plump chritmas goose.:);)

lets remember the psp delay, and 1 year later release date of it. amnd how much it sold, altho it was held as a "gadget icon" and "sexy"

well it doesn't really matter to me as long as i get my revolution and playing online with it i am happy. i am not really interested in the PS3.

I don't believe it... Sony knows PS2 is on it's last wheels, so they know it has to launch worldwide in 2006, at least in asia and america, this is surely the last christmas for PS2, with titles poping out...

Now if you said that they might delay it further if XBOX 360 sells moderatly... I'd agree, because they should be having a hardtime as always to put the hardware in stores, i'd agree... but that (likely) won't happen as it well probably sell through the roof, so Sony will be hard pressed by it, if so they'll release it as soon as possible on the two biggest markets, I mean... US and Japan.

ps2 has been on it's last weels for a long time, it's barly current gen when comparred to the xbox, it's more like a mid way between past and current gen like the dream-cast was.

PS2 has more games coming that I want than any other console, current or next gen.

Final Fantasy XII, Disgaea 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Seiken Densetsu 4, Xenosaga 2, etc. To write it off now is silly. Don't expect it to disappear from shelves until 2010. After all, the ten-year-old PSone still has a fair bit of shelf space in many games shops, doesn't it?

Remember the PS2 was $200 in America and £300 here when it was first released.

Yeah...And the NES Classics were £15 here...I saw them at even higher MEGA rip off prices at Woolworths.

They were only like £10 worth of dollars in the US and about £5 in Japan if my memory serves correct.