NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Heavenly Sword

This is definately going to be PS3's first real killer app. It looks like great work was put into all this.

Trailer: http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_4071_en.html

Story:

The game's revolves around the Heavenly Sword, an ancient weapon that once belonged to a god that could never be wielded by a human without their life being drained. After an invading king (who will be played by Andy Serkis of "Lord of the Rings" and "King Kong" fame) destroys the clan that protects the weapon, Nariko desperately takes up the blade and attempts to seek her revenge against the occupying forces before she loses her life.

Nariko will have access to three separate fighting stances that will allow her to create new combat styles. Players will need to use these items to combat the various combat scenarios Nariko will be placed in, which will range from one-on-one duels to one versus multiple opponents and even one against multiple battalions that will use squad based tactics to threaten Nariko's life. Fortunately, she'll have access to a wide range of weapons, such as bazookas and spears, as well as the option to throw debris and even bodies into her opponents.

Key Features

The Heavenly Sword – The Heavenly Sword itself can transform into three distinct weapons, each with its own accompanying fighting stance used by Nariko to vary combat styles.

The Combat Engine – The combat engine can scale up from sophisticated one-on-one encounters to one-on-many, where enemies employ intelligent squad-based dynamics, right up to combat against battalions pushing real-time gameplay and Artificial Intelligence (AI) to unprecedented new levels.

Physics-Based Combat – The physics-based combat allows players to sweep debris against opponents, kick tables to halt an oncoming surge of fighters, smash the enemy into the scenery, or throw bodies into other enemies using “aftertouch” controls.

Wide range of Objects & Weaponry – Heavenly Sword provides a wide range of objects & weaponry including rapid fire crossbows and massively damaging bazookas.

Creative in-game Cinematography – Coupled with real-time story evolvement and amazing set-pieces, Heavenly Sword feels like a blockbuster action movie that takes combat gameplay to new heights.

PLAYSTATION®3 – Greater processing power on the PS3 enables more immersive visuals and sound effects in Heavenly Sword, heightening the character performance and combat within the stunningly beautiful environments.

Images from demo level:

644_0009.jpg

644_0011.jpg

644_0016.jpg

112435-15-2.jpg

112435-17-2.jpg

644_0003.jpg

644_0009.jpg

644_0013.jpg

Meh

When I saw Micah playing it he didn't look as if he was having fun.

This is not a killer-app. Assassin's Creed would have been, but Ubisoft want to sell more than six copies.

It's far too hack n' slash button-bashing for me, if not everyone else.

It looks great in the gameplay videos and impressions from the show floor are very positive. Lots of fighting variety(stances), you even have shooting sequences with a crossbow. Its alot like God of War apparently which is a GOOD thing.

I'd take the word of people who have played it at e3 :)

last it year it took alot of no.1 at e3 lists! Wouldnt be surpised to see it strong this year too.

That second to last screen does looks sexual though.

Oh and I agree with the above.

Now Lair on the other hand. Damn you Factor 5 for not making another stunning looking game like Rogue Squadron for and on the Wii. Then other companies might think, 'wait we don't need to keep making shitty mini games to keep our business in work'

It reminds me of the God of War series which can only be a good thing as its amazing. Im really keeping an eye on this as it does has the potential to be something special.

Looks absolutely amazing! It's very much like God Of War your right HOT.

Choze your back!!!

Or am I way behind the fanyboy times?

Nothing wrong with lots of hack and slash. God of War is very hack and slash and yet that pretty much is voted up as one of the great action games.

This is not a killer-app. Assassin's Creed would have been, but Ubisoft want to sell more than six copies.

It's far too hack n' slash button-bashing for me, if not everyone else.

Yeah no one likes it cause you said so.

Yeah, Zelda > This > ,,wait up.

This is another game making me want a Ps3.

Heres a hands on report from IGN

Thank the maker, there's more to Heavenly Sword than just arena battles! As most of you probably remember, our biggest concern for the game was that it was made up of segmented fighting sequences and nothing else. Luckily Ninja Theory put that fear to rest at E3, when it unveiled a number of new details and sections that nobody had seen before.

The first new sequence on display was a cool little "defend the castle" mission that puts Nariko in control of giant fire cannons. Her mandate is simple: destroy the approaching enemy force before they pound her stronghold's walls down. The enemies here are made up of three main types -- kamikaze dumb-asses inserted into flaming rolling barrels, massive tank-like structures with multiple layers of armor, and a horde of foot soldiers whose sole purpose seems to be getting blown up.

Another fun little scenario was a small side-scrolling challenge that played out on the surface of a bridge connecting two castles. Nariko's only goal here was to knock off as many fools as possible. Sure it was a little simplistic, but the backgrounds looked great and at least it proved that Ninja Theory was trying to mix things up a bit. Oh, and as an added bonus, we also learned that the difficulty level has been increased quite a bit (to best exploit your three different fighting styles).

Next up was a boss battle with King Bohan's enormous fatty son. Playing through this segment shows off what some of the more epic confrontations are like. Beating the big bastard takes a bit of "the old God of War contextual reflexes;" Covered by an immense turtle shell and armed with two chopping swords, Bohan's brood has to be systematically defeated through the use of clever timing and the desire to climb a sweaty pile of blubber.

The biggest surprise, of course, was the introduction of a brand new character, Kai. Nariko's younger adopted sister, Kai is completely devoid of melee combat skills. Instead, she employs a crossbow that has a Resident Evil 4 viewpoint in which the arrows are controlled with the Sixaxis tilt (much like Nariko's thrown objects). Ninja Theory describes the new heroine as a "crossbow savant," and in addition to her mad missile skills, she can also run and jump over any surface with crazy monkey-like agility.

Some other tidbits worth mentioning -- switching to "range style" allows Nariko to deflect arrow attacks; players can go back to already-unlocked stages if they want to play them again; and performing more stylish moves unlocks secret goodies like additional moves, behind-the-scenes videos, and a two-part anime based on Nariko's adventures. Oh, and the game's facial animations are fantastic. Andy Serkis deserves a medal.

In closing, we left Heavenly Sword with more optimism than we had before. It doesn't look anywhere near as repetitive as we thought it might be and it has some very nice texture work and cool lighting. We do have to give the Sixaxis tilt support a bit (it's a little too touchy it seems), but with a PSN demo coming soon, we have plenty of time to get used to it.

Lets hope the demo isn't long away (well it can't be, seeing as the game is being release in September).

and it's great to know it's using the tilt support, but i'm hoping that doesn't feel tacked on, like most of the games at the mo.

Lets hope the demo isn't long away (well it can't be, seeing as the game is being release in September).

and it's great to know it's using the tilt support, but i'm hoping that doesn't feel tacked on, like most of the games at the mo.

September? in Europe?

Source?

September? in Europe?

Source?

The man who created it was interviewed on Gamespot during the E3 on stage demos that you can watch, they asked him right near the end of the video when it was out and he said September immediately and stated it's completed and just going through the stage where they check for bugs etc..He didn't mention different dates for countries either, like others did.

Oh and the official European playstation site, states September in it's upcoming releases calendar!

I reckon it will be released in US and Europe within a 2 week time-frame. Middle of September for Europe probably.

If that doesn't end up being the case, the PS3's thankfully region-free. :wink:

The demo also had that other girl where she was shooting arrows so its not all hack and slash. She was shooting arrows using the sensor so you can direct the arrows in slow mo with the controller. There's a vid on gametrailers. Looked pretty fun. Looks like more variety than God of War even. So thats 2 characters confirmed.

Supposadely the demo is going on the PSN July 26th, however this just seems like rumours at the mo, and i don't believe it's been officially confirmed.

Still it is complete, so expect it very soon.

July 26th rumour was in-fact CORRECT!

The demo will hit the European PSN this thursday!

:bouncy:

Just read this on Eurogamer, good times ahead then and lets hope it plays as good as it looks.

Just read this on Eurogamer, good times ahead then and lets hope it plays as good as it looks.

I'm so excited. I have a very good feeling it will play amazingly.

Lets hope it's out early September. :grin:

its only a 2 minute demo.

hahahaha, really?

Well it's still 2 minutes i wanna play!

Sign in to follow this