N-Europe

PS3 Price cut in Europe *update*

DiemetriX

As many of you know I work in a GAME store in Norway. Today we got news that the PS3 previously priced at 5899NOK will be now priced at 5399NOK AND bundled with a free controller and two free games ( Motor storm and Resistance ) That is about $85 dropp + free extras. Not bad at all.

As of now, I only know that the price drop will affect Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

*Update*

Europe too

source: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=18877

Well we have received news that they are going down the road of adding value by releasing the 'PS3 starter pack' for 600 euro's which comes complete with a 60GB PS3, Resistance: Fall of Man and Motorstorm as well as two SIXAXIS controllers.

So it's for Europe also.

I have no Idea. But I guess Ashley could check and see if they got any info on this.

I was at work as they were closing (yeah im cool, I go in on my days off - granted it was because I had stuff there I needed). Anyway. They said nothing, and im sure they would have as two people who work there love their PS3s more than their girlfriends.

Maybe get something tomorrow but im not in til Sunday so alas I'm not much good.

Very interesting. I've been thinking about buying a PlayStation 3 at some point (so I'll have all three next-gen consoles), but this may make me buy one sooner. Here in Denmark a Playstation 3 60 GB (the only version available) costs about 5200 DKR, and the games about 549 DKR and the controllers about 400 DKR, so technically, with that starter pack, you are getting the console for about 3700 DKR. Not bad, I say.

Well before they were losing, what, $250 per console? Now $350? Sounds pretty desperate to me.

I remember reading the production of bluray lasers and all that jazz is becoming easier, quicker and cheaper. So theres a chance they are losing about the same (could be a bit more, could be a bit less).

Well the story has changed in the US somewhat:

SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month.

Reeves was speaking at an E3 event to announce the introduction of a new PS3 bundle in Europe. When asked about possible criticisms over whether SCEE should have given consumers the option to pay a lower price, as SCEA has done, he replied, "Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game.

Great, so the price cut was FAKE. They are just shifting in a new model and then screwing over the consumer. Dont they get that ppl just think that it's too expensive?

Well before they were losing, what, $250 per console? Now $350? Sounds pretty desperate to me.

It's incredibly over priced but it is a very good system.

They are losing money on it but you say it's overpriced.

:blank:

Dear lord whats with Sony and all their "... packs". The PSP is bloody infuriating. At first there was the PSP. Then the Value Pack, and Giga Pack and now the Base Pack. I'm guessing the next one will be called the "Slim Pack" or something.

No it's not.

Nooo, cutting the price on a console you're already losing money before cutting it 4 moths after release because the sales are lagging isn't desperation.

They are losing money on it but you say it's overpriced.

:blank:

It's still 600$ no matter what, it's overpriced for most wallets. Sony really backed themselves against the wall.

Nooo, cutting the price on a console you're already losing money before cutting it 4 moths after release because the sales are lagging isn't desperation.

One of the reasons why they were losing so much money on it in the first place was because of difficulties relating to one of the diodes for the blu-ray something or other. This was pushing the price of production up. Sony have now sorted this problem out meaning that they can lower the price without making any bigger loss (I think that they are actually losing less money with the price drop and the cheaper production than they were before).

I work on entertainment at Tesco and in our brochure for next week, it says we're selling PS3s with R:FoM, Motorstorm and a free controller for £424.97. Almost makes me wish I waited a couple of months, what with the 10% staff discount on top of that!

It's still 600$ no matter what, it's overpriced for most wallets. Sony really backed themselves against the wall.

I agree somewhat with Hellfire on this one. Sony can stuff their "Value Packs" with what they like, but at the end of the day I don't think it's value for money holding consumers back, it's the price barrier. $599/£425 is a hefty dollop of cash and one which most consumers will not part with lightly.