NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ollie

What keyboard and mouse for gaming?

Hello there! I am currently using a wired Microsoft multi-media keyboard and a Logitec wirless mouse (MX7 I believe). Both of these are a couple of years old and could do with replacing. I have no idea what to replace them with.

I know I want them to both be wireless, and I like the multimedia controls on the keyboard. I use my computer mainly for playing games (WoW) and surfing the net/watching films etc.

So does anybody have any recommendations. Price is not an issue :)

EDIT - This looks good, has anyone got one?

I've got a Logitech MX518 and it's awesome. I wouldn't go for wirelesss gaming as you really don't want any lag.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/187&cl=gb,en

I'd also recommend that Mouse, great performance for the price. You could also go for the G5 laser mouse, but it's more expensive and has only one button on the side instead of two and I find the mousewheel on the MX 518 more comfortable as well.

So yeah, definitely a good choice.

That mouse looks identical to mine, except its all broken on the top, or is it squishy?

This is what I have got atm cost me about £50 i think, cordless is fine for me, not playing FPS games, and tbh have never noticed lag with this one!

That keyboard is a little pricey, even if price isn't an issue :laughing:

I don't think I'm going to change my mouse now, doesn't look like they have changed all that much since I got mine, might check the warranty though as it has a 5 year one and there is something that isn't quite right with it.

That Vista keyboard I originally linked is no good for me, doesn't have a number pad and I use it all the time! So still on the hunt for a new one.

Damn Jordan for moving and being offline, he'd know what to buy, as would Piro, what ever happened to him anyway?

That mouse looks identical to mine, except its all broken on the top, or is it squishy?

Actually it's perfectly smooth on the surface, this is just a special look.

In fact the MX518 should feel exactly like your current one but it's much lighter and a lot preciser.

Don't go with wireless, too many problems, small lag, needs battery/charging. I personally have the Logitech G15 Keyboard and Razor Diamondback Mouse. No complaints with either and both look amazing together (I got the plasma diamondback to match the blue backlighing of the G15). If you do get the G15 I'd recommend downloading the SirReal app for the LCD screen, as its the most useful one I've found.

I personally have a Logitech MX1000, only because it was cheap. The accuracy of it, is insane. Since its laser, rather than optical.

If you get Logitech G Series mouse, make sure for the love of god its a version 2. The original didn't have a back button, which was stupid. As for a keyboard? Gaming keyboards are usually pretty crap and useless, because you have to install bloated software apps along with the devices, a standard keyboard with a jack load of customisable keys will do the job.

Also, wireless keyboards = fail, imo.

(Jordan posting btw).

Also, wireless keyboards = fail, imo.

(Jordan posting btw).

I've never had a problem with my wireless keyboard or mouse by logitech, except when I sit a long way back from my PC and there's something in the line of sight. But I wouldn't do that for PC gaming anyway....

Funnily enough I've had more communication problems with a wired optical mouse than I ever had with my wireless kit. Although it might be the difference in the system's they're installed on. I have a MS optical intellimouse on this old system and it is awful for an FPS. I recall many times that I was flattened on UT or CS:S because when I was lining up for the crucial kill, my mouse went nuts instead, and sent me pointing at the sky and spinning in circles.

So yeah, I love my wireless stuff for gaming. Although the battery is definitely a problem during online gaming. Can you get a mouse that has a warning light for low battery on it? That would rock.

For some games I use a logitech 12 button dual-shock style controller, it's perfect for games like Tomb Raider Anniversary, PoP, Turtles, Devil May Cry 3 :) Although the R2 button stopped working properly on mine and I constantly press L3 by accident >.<

I recall many times that I was flattened on UT or CS:S because when I was lining up for the crucial kill, my mouse went nuts instead, and sent me pointing at the sky and spinning in circles.

I used to have this problem too, was a right bitch!

I don't do PC gaming at the moment, my laptop is on it's last legs and struggles to run Vista, Firefox and WMP all at the same time, never mind a game. Back when i did though i just used a stock keyboard, never really found much advantage in gaming boards. As long as it's decent (i.e. £20-ish) and wired it'll do the job.

For mice my vote would go for the MX1000, best mouse i've ever used! Either that or a Razer, i know a lot of people who are very happy with the Copperhead or Diamondback

Well I have wireless mouse and keyboard... on my mouse it says: logitech Mx700 optical.

I play online... I don't understand about people talking about wireless stuff causing lag O.o I have a Dell so i lag anyway =]

I play online... I don't understand about people talking about wireless stuff causing lag O.o I have a Dell so i lag anyway =]

That's just something people say when they do badly in online games: "my wireless keyboard is lagging", "I was eating a sandwich and playing with my feet", "my webs are down, all of them", or my personal fave which I once heard from a City of Heroes gamer: "was afk, my kid just fell down the stairs!"

buying a shiny new keyboard and mouse is never going to instantly going to make you play amazingly if you weren't doing so before. What it does do is make everything nicer to play. After using a diamondback for several months, I find it difficult to use a normal mouse, the motions much smoother, more accurate, buttons more responsive etc. Not just gaming but using my PC in general. Same with the keyboard, yes I could do without the backlighting an little LCD screen telling me network and processor usage etc, but small things like being able to disable the windows key on the fly, or having 18 (each with 3 modes so 54) macro keys that I can program (on the fly, with optional time delays) to do whatever I want are really useful (again in games (rpg's especially) and desktop).

Well I have wireless mouse and keyboard... on my mouse it says: logitech Mx700 optical.

It used to be a real problem when the first wireless keyboards came out. It might still happen if something interferes with the signal.

Personally I think wireless keyboards are ok even for gaming. But the wireless mouse I had drained batteries very quickly so I switched back to wired mouse.

Laser mice aren't as picky about the surface you use them on as optical mice are. So a good optical mouse is as good as a laser mouse in games. Many seem to like the logitech mx518. The logitech G11 and G15 keyboards have backlit keys which is nice if you use your computer in the dark.

Sign in to follow this