NEurope
Zechs Merquise

Mario Kart Wii

I now know the answer. I was using automatic thingy which doesnt let you jump. :p

I've never used automatic, I didn't know you couldn't jump in that.

I've tried jumping before and it hasn't worked, I was just playing with the nunhuck combo and I shook the wiimote and it gave me that blue circle on the ground to tell me that I effectively cancelled the extra extra long spinning. Good stuff.

This game is utterly awesome, been playing online all day. Got up to 6250 points. I'm totally loving it.

I'm lovong the Wii Wheel again now, it's finally clicked for me :) I just had a 2 player race online on Bowsers Castle and I didn't just win... I lapped him! it was lol :P loving this game :)

Just a little note, there's a comprehensive list being constructed on the Online board. Could people please head that way if they want to play other people on the boards. Don't know if it has been mentioned yet but relatively few people are on the list so, yeah.

I played Double Dash and the N64 outing all last week, with the mindset that I didn't need the new one, I could make myself sick of the whole series.

Yesterday the whole of Exeter had sold out. And it wasnt just me in mad panic, there were TONS of people asking around when I was.

Thank fuck for Argos, must have had an overnight shipping :) Have only spent about 2 hours with it so far, i'm still really on the fence about the wheel. Is it just me, or is it alot harder to unlock things this time around?

I played Double Dash and the N64 outing all last week, with the mindset that I didn't need the new one, I could make myself sick of the whole series.

Yesterday the whole of Exeter had sold out. And it wasnt just me in mad panic, there were TONS of people asking around when I was.

Thank fuck for Argos, must have had an overnight shipping :) Have only spent about 2 hours with it so far, i'm still really on the fence about the wheel. Is it just me, or is it alot harder to unlock things this time around?

I first thought that, but sue to unlocking stuff by simply playing online matches (think Smash Bros) actually makes it easier. That is, assuming you spend more time on Wi-Fi than the Grand Prix.

I first thought that, but sue to unlocking stuff by simply playing online matches (think Smash Bros) actually makes it easier. That is, assuming you spend more time on Wi-Fi than the Grand Prix.

I unlocked atleast one thing through Wi-Fi play, but can you unlock everything through it? I'm interested to know cos it would save me going at it in time trial!

I unlocked atleast one thing through Wi-Fi play, but can you unlock everything through it? I'm interested to know cos it would save me going at it in time trial!

I do not believe so

I'm also apparently awesome at MK:Wii...Always win unless I've been raped by items. Go online against everyone and I'm usually half a lap ahead when I finish

Good times :)

I frigging hate Luigi Circuit with a passion.

Set up a new license for exclusive wheel use , and was in a worldwide room , managed to win quite a few , and was always placed in the top 4-5 in the other races , except for the 2 races on LC , finished near bottom on both of them.

The same thing happens everytime I race on that poxy track.

Random MK Observation #1 - Anyone else noticed how the Blue Shell is effectively like the police item of Mario Kart? cos if your in first place with an item and you hear one coming it always seems to be like "Zomg it's teh blue shell! get rid of the goods!" nope? just me... ok then... :heh:

*goes back to finishing off the single player mode*

Haha, yeah S.C.G you're right. You hear it coming and you quickly get rid of any items you are carrying! If I'm not too far ahead I hit the breaks to try and get as many people caught up in the blast as possible.

I also agree with Piggy on the topic of Luigi Circuit- I was online with / nando / last night in some worldwide races too (maybe you were there, but I don't think you were) and there were these three or four people who chose Luigi Circuit every time. After getting absolutely brutalised, we both bowed out and did a few continental races where we managed to get a few other tracks selected.

Random MK Observation #2 - Ever have a manic second lap on a long trap, think it's the last lap, let go of the accelerate button and think oh well 5th place... and then realise it's not the end of the race a few seconds after crossing the finishing line? Thats happened like twice to me today...

Random MK Observation #1 - Anyone else noticed how the Blue Shell is effectively like the police item of Mario Kart? cos if your in first place with an item and you hear one coming it always seems to be like "Zomg it's teh blue shell! get rid of the goods!" nope? just me... ok then...

*goes back to finishing off the single player mode*

Yep, I do that too. An act of desperation, it is!

I also love it when you're not in first place, and you see a blue shell flying past. *sniggersnigger* :laughing:

Random MK Observation #2 - Ever have a manic second lap on a long trap, think it's the last lap, let go of the accelerate button and think oh well 5th place... and then realise it's not the end of the race a few seconds after crossing the finishing line? Thats happened like twice to me today...

Oh, yes. I know that one. Especially painful when you're first, and want to make a flashy ending by drifting across the finish line, only to realise... :shakehead

I also agree with Piggy on the topic of Luigi Circuit- I was online with / nando / last night in some worldwide races too (maybe you were there, but I don't think you were) and there were these three or four people who chose Luigi Circuit every time. After getting absolutely brutalised, we both bowed out and did a few continental races where we managed to get a few other tracks selected.

As annoying as it was to continue to do the same track again and again, I wouldn't have minded as much if it wasn't for the fact that it was a complete lottery, more so than any other races I've played in. Each race was kill after kill, everyone getting destroyed and it wasn't enjoyable.

The one time we did get to break away from Luigi Circuit was when the track selection screen landed on my Koopa Cape and, wouldn't you know it, me and darksnowman dominated the race coming first and second because there was a bit more skill involved.. but then the following race was back at Luigi Circuit so enough was enough and we jumped out after that..

Call For Help In Writing A Guide

I've been asked to do a mini-guide for MK:Wii for N-Rev magazine, and i was wondering what you guys would like to see in it?

How to unlock the characters will off course be in there (does anyone know them all already?), along with the Expert Staff Ghost times to beat.

A lot of the rest will be about techniques and tricks, so if you post all your dirty little tricks (like someone said they can stop the POW box, but didn't say how) and stuff like that, that would be awesome.

Any shortcuts? If the really good players who have beaten the Staff Ghosts can post a short paragraph on key turns/shortcuts they take etc for each track that would be ideal (probably just the 16 new tracks, i'm not sure).

Anyway, any help would be appreciated :)

Lots of the old tracks have been given new features that fit in with the new game. I think covering all of them would be wise.

Call For Help In Writing A Guide

I've been asked to do a mini-guide for MK:Wii for N-Rev magazine, and i was wondering what you guys would like to see in it?

How to unlock the characters will off course be in there (does anyone know them all already?), along with the Expert Staff Ghost times to beat.

A lot of the rest will be about techniques and tricks, so if you post all your dirty little tricks (like someone said they can stop the POW box, but didn't say how) and stuff like that, that would be awesome.

Any shortcuts? If the really good players who have beaten the Staff Ghosts can post a short paragraph on key turns/shortcuts they take etc for each track that would be ideal (probably just the 16 new tracks, i'm not sure).

Anyway, any help would be appreciated :)

Why dont you just watch the best time trials online? You'l see the best shortcuts right there.

Online Record

Wins: 298

Losses: 31

Go Joe...those losses are all due to getting item fucked right at the end lol

I know you can beat a POW with being in the air, but does a well timed hop work too? I always try, but I've only succeeded the one time, and I bumped into someone at the same time so that might have given me the extra lift needed to beat the POW. Has anyone else been trying this out?

Another two questions I've had but keep forgetting to ask are:

Expert ghosts- is there anywhere I can look to find out how to unlock them. You have to do more than beat the ghost thats already there, right? So is there a site with a list of times that you should aim for?

Fake Icons: is it just me or are these completely useless for dragging and guarding yourself from red shells? I've even tried setting down the icon before the shell hits in an attempt to sheild myself, but that doesn't work either. ::shrug:

Don't know if these tips are even a bit useful or new, as I rather suck at this, but here goes:

• Don't fall down. If there is no solid substance next to the track, avoid.
  • Should you fall down, press the accelerate button the moment you touch the ground. You'll start with a boost.
  • Boosting depends on the duration of the drift... but the more sharply you turn, the faster you'll gain a blue/red spark. The difference is very small and subtle, but it's there. (Actually, I'm not sure this is true, but that's the impression I have)
  • Tradition Turbo Start: press and hold accelerate just before "2" starts to fade.
  • You can hold onto items for the last stretch (e.g. Bullet Bill), but there is a risk involved. If you get hit or POW-ed, you'll lose your item.
  • Stunts are vital.
  • Slipstreaming (and preventing others to do so) is vital.
  • Shout hysterically when you get hit by a blue shell. It won't do any good, but atleast it'll make you feel a bit better.

Nothing earthshattering, really.

I know you can beat a POW with being in the air, but does a well timed hop work too? I always try, but I've only succeeded the one time, and I bumped into someone at the same time so that might have given me the extra lift needed to beat the POW. Has anyone else been trying this out?

Expert ghosts- is there anywhere I can look to find out how to unlock them. You have to do more than beat the ghost thats already there, right? So is there a site with a list of times that you should aim for?

Fake Icons: is it just me or are these completely useless for dragging and guarding yourself from red shells? I've even tried setting down the icon before the shell hits in an attempt to sheild myself, but that doesn't work either. ::shrug:

Just go on the Mazza Kart boards on G-Faqs, there is a sticky topic with the times you need to get to unlock the ghosts.

I read somewhere (think it was NGamer magazine) that if you beat the staff ghost by 7 seconds you get the expert one...Prove me wrong anyone?

The hop on a pow doesn't work...I've tried this extensively.

The fake item boxes are no good for shielding. Only drag them behind if someone is directly behind you. It will KAPOW! them upon touch. Items go through the fake boxes just like normal item boxes.

I read somewhere (think it was NGamer magazine) that if you beat the staff ghost by 7 seconds you get the expert one...Prove me wrong anyone?

The hop on a pow doesn't work...I've tried this extensively.

The fake item boxes are no good for shielding. Only drag them behind if someone is directly behind you. It will KAPOW! them upon touch. Items go through the fake boxes just like normal item boxes.

Doesnt have to be 7 seconds sometimes it can 4, it depends on what track it is.

Doesnt have to be 7 seconds sometimes it can 4, it depends on what track it is.

So there is a 7second or a 4seconds gap (discovered at the moment).

So if you beat the staff ghost by 4 and nothing happens...Go for 7?! Sounds like MAJOR hair pulling. 7 seconds is a massive gap when it's milliseconds seperating the best from the rest.