NEurope
Zechs Merquise

Mario Kart Wii

That's a very respectable rating but it is very dependent on who you are playing against. If you just play a bunch of noobs then it's easy to rack up a few cheap points but once you start beating those of a higher rating, that's when yours increases more realistically. With my choice of manual karts, it's difficult to get out of the 8000's but I still get good races no matter. It's so easy to lose on "random" courses, like Luigi Circuit or Moo Moo Meadows which anyone can win on that I tend to end up losing whatever I've accumulated, especially if it reverts to 100cc which is so much easier for others to catch you up on.

So, really, ratings are not always a fair representation of a player's ability unless they are really good and win nearly all the time. Fortunately, I don't fall into that bracket and find it just as enjoyable having a good race against all manner of abilities and losing, rather than predictably winning constantly.

I disagree, I think the scoring system is very balanced and is a reflection of your ability. After all racing a pack of noobs on Luigi circuit has done far more damage to my score than racing experienced players on GBA Bowser Castle 3!

The only thing that annoys me actually is Luigi circuit spammers who just pick it again and again, seriously I played it five times in about 8 games last night and my score got a beating!

I managed to hit 37 seconds on the comp this morning, don't think I'll be able to beat that.

Shame not so many people seem to be participating in the competitions now, my friends list has always had enough entry's for a top 10 before, only got a top 2 for this one though. :sad:

I suppose most people are too addicted to Brawl at the moment. :heh:

I didn't get Brawl... but I was on Mario Kart a while the other night and tried this new challenge a few times. I didn't even get below a minute, but it was still fairly enjoyable. I'm sure I could get my time down a bit if I retried some more and got a good "racing line" figured out for it.

I disagree, I think the scoring system is very balanced and is a reflection of your ability. After all racing a pack of noobs on Luigi circuit has done far more damage to my score than racing experienced players on GBA Bowser Castle 3!

The only thing that annoys me actually is Luigi circuit spammers who just pick it again and again, seriously I played it five times in about 8 games last night and my score got a beating!

I know what you mean. I've been slaughtered on Luigi Circuit a lot and it does get really frustrating when people just keep picking it. I've seen people post about Moo Moo, but I don't mind it so much- at least its a bit longer and you have more of a chance to race.

I've tried this challenge several times and don't think I've ever recorded down my time it was to shameful. :(

I found it hard and kept missing a coin both time rounds and got confused as to which way to go!

Love the challenge itself though. I haven't recorded the time as it is just pathetic.... :p

I've tried this challenge several times and don't think I've ever recorded down my time it was to shameful. :(

I found it hard and kept missing a coin both time rounds and got confused as to which way to go!

Love the challenge itself though. I haven't recorded the time as it is just pathetic.... :p

You may be making the same mistake I did of clearing the first hall first, then the stairs and then the subsequent rooms one after the other, where it is now obvious that you need to do a run through picking up the mush box and heading straight for the stairs, do one row of 3 coins on both sets, the far room and then back down the other side to finally polish off the others from the start middle first and then turn left.

You may be making the same mistake I did of clearing the first hall first, then the stairs and then the subsequent rooms one after the other, where it is now obvious that you need to do a run through picking up the mush box and heading straight for the stairs, do one row of 3 coins on both sets, the far room and then back down the other side to finally polish off the others from the start middle first and then turn left.

Great! :D Thanks for the advice Supercube. :grin:

I have been doing it the wrong way you did it! I have tried other ways though and none seem to work. I think I just have poor control of my bike! >___<

I shall try the new way you have presented to me as I haven't done this way which seeems to be the most logical! ^___^

I know what you mean. I've been slaughtered on Luigi Circuit a lot and it does get really frustrating when people just keep picking it. I've seen people post about Moo Moo, but I don't mind it so much- at least its a bit longer and you have more of a chance to race.

Yeah, people moan about Moo Moo and Mushroom Gorge, but at least you get a fighting chance. On Luigi ircuit it's almost impossible to get the dsitance infront to surivive the effects of the blue shell.

What do you make of Shy Guy Beach that's another horror story lol.

Yeah, people moan about Moo Moo and Mushroom Gorge, but at least you get a fighting chance. On Luigi ircuit it's almost impossible to get the dsitance infront to surivive the effects of the blue shell.

What do you make of Shy Guy Beach that's another horror story lol.

The problem with Moo Moo is the amount of shortcuts for someone with speed boosts.

Shy Guy Beach is a killer, yes, it's like a bad night out...catch a couple of crabs and it all ends in tears!!

I don't mind the Gorge either, Zechs. Its actually a track I would vote for myself now and again because I've never been exerted to anything like you get on Luigi's Circuit on it. Shy Guy Beach eh? I never really noticed it for being outstandingly good or bad. You can cut the odd corner here and there... but like Supercube says (and top sig btw!), if you hit a crab or two at the wrong time then it can turn victory into a last place. I've always found races get stretched out well enough on the beach- unlike Luigi Circuit where everyone always seems to be breathing down each others necks. I do like that wee tune on Shy Guy Beach. :blush:

The problem with Moo Moo is the amount of shortcuts for someone with speed boosts.

Shy Guy Beach is a killer, yes, it's like a bad night out...catch a couple of crabs and it all ends in tears!!

Moo Moo does have a lot of short cuts, but noobs tend to be taken out by moles or cows which helps things. Don't get me wrong, it ain;t my fave course, but it's not as bad as Luigi. I'd never ever choose it though.

I don't mind the Gorge either, Zechs. Its actually a track I would vote for myself now and again because I've never been exerted to anything like you get on Luigi's Circuit on it. Shy Guy Beach eh? I never really noticed it for being outstandingly good or bad. You can cut the odd corner here and there... but like Supercube says (and top sig btw!), if you hit a crab or two at the wrong time then it can turn victory into a last place. I've always found races get stretched out well enough on the beach- unlike Luigi Circuit where everyone always seems to be breathing down each others necks. I do like that wee tune on Shy Guy Beach. :blush:

I think Shy Guy has the crabs from hell - I swear those things home in on me! Then there are the bombs, and the short cuts! I find it a right mash up, especially as a golden mushroom or a star mean the track can be skipped round in no time. I've been hit hard on Shy Guy several times.

The best course is N64 Bowser castle - that rocks!

Luigi, Moo Moo and Shy Guy are horrible online. In Shy Guy Beach if you have a kart/bike which doesn't do well offroad (i.e. in the water) then it's so hard to do well, not to mention those damn crabs. And I agree, N64 Bowser Castle rocks!

On another note I'm up to World #2 on Luigi Circuit with a 1'09"945!

I don't really like N64 Bowser Castle. It's better than it was in MK64, but I still don't like it on the Wii, for various reasons. Super Mario Kart and MK:SC had the best Bowser Castle courses imo, but the one in MK: DD was good too.

What a load of shit. I was on 9350, then I won the damn race and it disconnected me after crossing the finish line. What a f**king joke. Now I'm down to 9000 again. What a shit system.

After a bit of offline play I have to vent my frustration. Who thought it was a clever idea to let the first player be hit by multiple blue shells per race?

That is neither challenging nor fun and no matter how much driving skill you have the blue shell is always there to cost you the win.

It's a nice additions when playing other humans and it was a good idea when it damaged everything in its path but what good does it do the 8th ranked to exclusively target the first ranked?

After a bit of offline play I have to vent my frustration. Who thought it was a clever idea to let the first player be hit by multiple blue shells per race?

That is neither challenging nor fun and no matter how much driving skill you have the blue shell is always there to cost you the win.

It's a nice additions when playing other humans and it was a good idea when it damaged everything in its path but what good does it do the 8th ranked to exclusively target the first ranked?

Hey I was at 9550 earlier, was a good length ahead on Maple Treeway, hit by blue shell, caused me to fall through one of the gaps in the track, ended up 6th. Lost loads of points. Was one GBA Bowser castle three, and I fended off three blue shells to come first. It's a total arse.

Moo Moo does have a lot of short cuts, but noobs tend to be taken out by moles or cows which helps things. Don't get me wrong, it ain;t my fave course, but it's not as bad as Luigi. I'd never ever choose it though.

Agreed with Luigi...that really is an item-determined outcome.

Yeah I hear you on that one it is frustrating.

I am loving this game - had it a few weeks played it a few evenings- Im still not playing at my best but am getting fairly decient offline and naturally as you'd guess less so online - but ive only played a little. I got very decient MK DS (learning a lot about the game and it's little play techniques) and can generally stand a decent chance of coming 1st if im playing other racers that dont snake like my self (yes ive never learnt to do this (I feel its a cheap technique anyway - but thats a matter of debate I gather) however now Mario Kart DS online seems to have more and more snakers so im not bothering with it really). in Mario Kart Wii of course you cant snake so It may be my online choice in the future.

Well till the middle of next month when I have to move back to parients for a while (long story) where I will the net but no wireless (its my flatmates router I use and Wireless just does not seem to work at my folks :( - I might look to see if I can run the Wii off the modem Ill be getting though).

A new competition is now available, it's a VS race around the DS Twilight House Battle Stage:

contph20080703mq4.jpgcontph20080704ut3.jpg

15/07/08 - 25/07/08, Wii Wheel only.

Had a few goes on it this morning, my best time is 0:49.686.

^Cool. That'll be fun. Do you have to go on the outside part at any time?
Nope, all of the outside parts are blocked off.

It's basically going around in a huge circle, you can actually hold a powerslide for the whole race as long as you don't get hit by an item. :heh:

Nope, all of the outside parts are blocked off.

It's basically going around in a huge circle, you can actually hold a powerslide for the whole race as long as you don't get hit by an item. :heh:

Cool. I never liked going on the outside. It's too thin, so if we actually had to go there in a proper race... Let's just say I hating falling off the track in Mario Kart games.

A new competition is now available, it's a VS race around the DS Twilight House Battle Stage:

Had a few goes on it this morning, my best time is 0:49.686.

Yeah I've seen times of around 47 being bandied about. Couldn't get below 53 myself with my infamous auto/kart combo until I decided to hang back at the start and pick up a golden mushroom which instantly brought me down to 50.242! Doubt I will beat that, so all the best in shaving a couple more seconds off your time to get into the top ten :heh:

A new competition is now available, it appears to be a bike only race on D.K's Jungle Parkway, with nothing but bananas for weapons! :heh::

contph20080801xp3.jpgcontph20080802gp6.jpg

01/08/08 - 10/08/08.

Not tried it yet, will give it a go later on, before tonight's online session. :grin:

The new competiton's quite funny. Donkey and Diddy Kong chase you round the track throwing bananas to put you off, while you try and finish in the quickest time. Their aim is fairly poor, most seem to end up halfway up the hills around the side of the track, especially before the bridge! However, they litter the cave with the damn things. The only weapon we're allowed is the green shell and it's fairly easy to hit them as you get so many.

Well, after a few attempts my best is 2:24.x, which I hope to improve later ;)

Ever the perfectionist, huh Dynamo!? That's an impressive time and among the best I've seen claimed already. Doubt I'll get much better than my 2:50 thanks to my usual choice of Wheel and auto but it is good fun to try and hit the Kongs one way or another.

lol, those competitions are very funny indeed.

I think im going to buy this game now on the "Recess" stage of the year.