NEurope
Zechs Merquise

Mario Kart Wii

Im not really worried. TBH Ive never played a bad Mario Kart.

Double Dash to me was nearly bad. T'was solid but prolli the weakest in the series imo. No truely good courses and the racing style was too arcadey. I know alot of people like it and diss Mario Kart 64, but I am the opposite. Mario Kart 64 is by far the best in the series imo

IGN really need to research things a bit more imo.

While the actual speed may be pretty close to Double Dash and Kart DS respectively
Double dash was slower than MKDS (to me it was anyway), why not state if the vids are on 50,100cc or 150cc?? If the vids are on 150cc then i'll agree with them on it needing a kick in the pants in the speed department :(

On the subject of mario karts speed, Nintendo really annoy me with their closed minded approach!

Q. Why have different speed classes?

A. To cater for a wider audience

Thats fine but why not add 200cc so that you cater for an even wider audience!! If a child etc can't play on 200cc then they arn't forced to play it on that class. All i want is a challenging Mario Kart that is FAST, now we learn they have made the tracks wider making it easier and feel slower :shakehead

Keeping the BlueShell i can live with (just), sorting out the snaking is fine but making it slow when it only looks slightly better than DD would be a BIG let down.

Can't comment on the videos, as I can't open them right now. Apart from the character models, it looks just about right to me in stills.

Mario Kart DS is still my favourite, followed closely by Super Mario Kart. Super Curcuit wasn't too shabby either. I never really liked Mario Kart 64 as much as I do those three. Mario Kart DD is on the bottom of my list.

DS is easily the best so far. Anyone that states otherwise is either a fool or a fool.

DS is easily the best so far. Anyone that states otherwise is either a fool or a fool.

Super MarioKart on the snes was the best in terms of skill, i mastered that when i was about 10 ffs. Please stop underestimating gamers nintendo. My nephews are 6 and 8 and they continue to amaze me on many games.

oh and i'm no fool sucka : peace:

Super Mario Kart was and still is crazy hardcore. Its probably the most fun too.

However, the vertical split always annoyed me. I spent years trying to figure out how to turn that off... realising Nintendo did it otherwise they couldn't get a decent frame rate and to keep the file size of the tracks down.

What a fool i was.

What a fool i was.

Was? :wink:

Super Mario Kart is probably the most difficult one. It has some great tracks though so its been great to see them feature on the DS version and now this Wii one. Reliving the past ftw.

Vertical split? What you on about?

And why is Super Mario Kart "crazy hardcore" I don't understand. i love the game and it is probably the game where there is actually a big difference between characters, but crazy hardcore?!?! Hmmm.

For me I'd have to go with the DS version, awesome, awesome game, though enjoyed them all!

And no decent tracks on Double Dash. Are you insane!?!?! It has the two best tracks ever - Baby Park Ride and Yoshi Circuit (my personal fave!)

Yeah I hope this game gets faster too with loads of hidden depth (ala Mario Kart DS)

if you could have in your hands now a copy of mario kart or smash brothers which would you choose,

id vote mario kart, could someone set up a poll?

Yeah Mario Kart for me but i think Smash Bros would trounce it in a poll here!!

Vertical split? What you on about?

And why is Super Mario Kart "crazy hardcore" I don't understand. i love the game and it is probably the game where there is actually a big difference between characters, but crazy hardcore?!?! Hmmm.

Sorry, horizontal split and this one:

Super_Mario_Kart_snes_ScreenShot2.jpg

As for hardcore? I dunno, the handling is extremely slippy with the quicker characters way more so than the very "grippy" Mario Kart DS and Double Dash. The closest Mario Kart has been to SMK was easily Mario Kart: Super Circuit on the GBA.

those new vids look stunning :)

and the online options look awsome too, we will be playing this for many many many years :) thats the awsome thing about mario kart i can pick up and play any version and have loads of fun, all of them are timeless classics :)

could u set up a poll?

could u set up a poll?

No. Because this thread doesn't need one.

This, I find harder to swollow. It feels... slower? Changed for the casual player? :hmm:

Bit of a gripe, isn't it? I feel it's the way things'll go now, I felt Galaxy was a bit more aimed towards a casual player, if I compared it to 64, but maybe it's just me and my paranoia.

As for the speed of the games, I didn't feel DoubleDash was all that slow! A bit, maybe, but the karts really flew around the place for me from what I remember(not played for quite a while) but then again, it might have just been a sneaky trick of the mind. I found it terrible when I tried to play one night, not in a bad way, just really...unusual!

I DID feel however, that DD wasn't up to MarioKart scratch, I dunno why not, I guess it was just in the shadow of the great revolutionaryness that MK64 brought, and I think it's a problem I have with alot of current gen like Sunshine, Galaxy, TP, etc compared to their 64 counterparts. They're all good games, great games, if you look at them alone. In their respective serieses however, they just don't feel it, they don't have that extra edge to set them apart from the previous.

SMK, whilst I never owned it, WAS a very good game, and quite a challenge(I didn't feel so much the same with DD). Twas bloody fun too, and bright and colourful! There was something nice about its basicness, I can't explain. Super Circuit was a good game, basically a very enhanced remake of SMK, and I found it quite enjoyable in single player, again, a large challenge with the coins=speed aspect.

It was a typo...I've changed it now:heh:

lol, i thought it was supposed to be a clever comment on how cool mario is. :heh:

Double dash was slower than MKDS

It is? I never had a problem with Double Dash's speed, but MKDS felt very slow.

I found Double Dash the best Mario Kart. Then again it's the only one that doesn't have a better (IMO) kart game on the same console. And I've never played SMK.

I think the 4 new videos on IGN are 150cc, as they all seem to have bikes and karts in the same race.

I think it looks fast enough for me, especially looking at the koopa video. I think this will be similar to ExciteTruck in regards to boosting, in which it could seem a little slow until you got your boost on. And it seems the mechanic of getting as much boost going as possible has transfered over, especially with the bikes(wheelies).

I have only really played SMK and DD, but I enjoyed both of them. Never had a problem with the speed of DD, my main gripe was lack of shortcuts.

Good point actually, a lot of the time will probably be spent boosting from stunts and shit, so that adds a lot of pace.

I don't like Super Circuit, and DS isn't brilliant, there's something missing...

64 and DD I like best, mates and on 1 screen :D

It's a "worldwide ranking" not a "friend ranking"

...oh!:laughing:

I think IGN always try to make a statement though, they probably couldnt find much to fault or rate the game from a short experience.

wider roads could be annoying though

Wide roads can be annoying? Well I think there should be wide roads if there is going to be 12 karts/bikes on the road! O.o

...oh!:laughing:

Wide roads can be annoying? Well I think there should be wide roads if there is going to be 12 karts/bikes on the road! O.o

It's better when there's congestion. Livens things up. I find the best courses are when the roads are really narrow/tight. Throw in a few expansive courses by all means. That wario mines looks like my cuppa actually.

It is? I never had a problem with Double Dash's speed, but MKDS felt very slow.

I found Double Dash the best Mario Kart. Then again it's the only one that doesn't have a better (IMO) kart game on the same console. And I've never played SMK.

While I wouldn't call it the best, it definitely had its merits, which is what we need to see. I liked the new battle modes it brought, such as shine battle and the bob-omb thing(making a nice return in MKDS), but namely, one brilliant feature was the two player tag team thing! It's probably a bit overlooked, but I think back now to having four of us in a room split screening and sorting out the karts between ourselves! The friendly rivalries it caused(normally within the team lol) gave it that slight edge, competition is nice, but so is sharing, and it combined both pretty well imo!

mkds spoilt by snakers, how can you call snaking fun, i can do it for a whole race but its not exactly fun, it rather race properly and do the skid / boost around corners alone, i hope they even it out in m k wii,

id rate mario kart series in this order

1. SUPER MARIO KART

2.MARIO KART DS

3.MARIO KART 64

4. MARIO KART DD

5. MARIO KART GBA

all awsome awsome games :)

what are your top 5 in order

Here is mine:

1. Super Mario Kart
  2. Mario Kart DS
  3. Mario Kart GBA