NEurope
Zechs Merquise

Mario Kart Wii

I'm over the moon it has GC controller support. Oh and I don't think it looks ugly at all!

Its already been confirmed to have Gamecube controller support

is snaking cheating?

Lol thats a good one. Are you the ultimate stirrer or something? (devise some plans with me - say Zack and Wiki is shit because there's no shooting in it)

It would be so funny if it was the 25th of April. Then when someone asks how come Mario Kart took 2 odd weeks to get released, why is Brawl taking longer.

Yea squarm your way out that instead of the whole translate/localisation stuff :heh:

I suppose you have to think about how long it takes for them to translate the descriptions for hundreds of trophies into several different languages. I don't think anything in MK quite compares to that.

More likely though they had a strategy in terms of how to launch MK and Brawl in Europe to maximise sales, and decided it'd be best to spread them out a bit but stick to the recent tradition of keeping Mario Kart's release dates close worldwide, so Brawl is the one to get pushed back so that 2 of their biggest hitters are spread a little more.

IGN has an hands on up, even though they don't say much, they pretty much killed snaking and those screenshots look better.

Don't know how people think this is ugly, have they not seen Cruis'in? Glad they got rid of the whole two players one kart idea, hated it.

Looks like I'm with the few who think it doesn't look that good. It seems to look worse than Double Dash or are my eyes deceiving me.

Looks like I'm with the few who think it doesn't look that good. It seems to look worse than Double Dash or are my eyes deceiving me.

I thought it looked a little rough too. Not worse than double dash but for me, not any better. Didn't think gfx would bother me much but I am getting a serious case of envy when looking at the other consoles at the moment.

looks stunning, im sure gampley will match it, how can you possibly say the graphics are bad? :) cant wait for this,

graphics cant possibly be much better, as mario is a cartoony character, look at games like super mario world, they are timeless and could not be betterd for 2d games,

im sure mario kart wii will be timeless also graphically and playable for many many years, unlike the graphics you get on ps3 and 360 which will look outdated and unplayable in years to come,

I don't think they've put any focus on improving visuals as they know there's only so much they could do extra with Wii's power and it wouldn't make a big noticible difference. Instead any extra power has went into putting more racers on the track while retaining flawless 60fps, for more intense and action packed races I guess. Which hopefully means no blue shells.

From the IGN preview thing:

Of course, the question of "snaking" came up, whether multiplayer games are going to boil down to what's happened with Mario Kart DS: players simply powerdrifting on every possible straightaway as rapidly as possible. Well, with the new powersliding mechanic it makes it difficult for quick fingers to get more boosts than the racers with slower fingers. So perhaps this is Nintendo's way of combating the awkward "love it/hate it" snaking mechanic.

also, 1up have a preview up aswell:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3166349

as does gamespot:

http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/driving/mariokart/news.html?sid=6186170&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

Not as cartoony as Double Dash, which seems 'slightly' more polished to me as well...

Mario Kart Wii looks pretty good to me, very bold...i reckon it will look fine in motion guys, when have Nintendo ever let us down when it comes to Mario Kart?!

sounds gd espically as it will hav lots of stats like smash bros melee did and racing online with a m8 will b gd 2

Don't know what's everybody's problem. It looks quite a bit better than Double Dash!! and I don't see how you could wish for GC controller support. Why have you bought a Wii if you want that?

I suppose you have to think about how long it takes for them to translate the descriptions for hundreds of trophies into several different languages. I don't think anything in MK quite compares to that.

Well the fact that it began translating last June should mean something and translating shouldn't take that long for trophies. They could do it all in a couple of weeks if they put effort into it.

If the April date is to be true, then it pretty much confirms we'll get Brawl in June. Still a pain in the ass waiting for it.

A piece of the 1up Hands-on:

Using the Wii Wheel peripheral (which serves as a docking station for your Wii Remote) took a little while to get used to (we were constantly over-steering). But after a few laps around the track, we started to adjust. The brakes and accelerator are mapped to the 1 and 2 buttons, respectively, while power slides are initiated with the B button. Weapons and power-ups are placed on the directional pad (pressing up fires forward, pressing down hold items behind your kart). And one of the new driving features -- performing trick jumps off ramps (a la Sonic Riders) for a quick boost -- is done via shaking the wheel as you take off. For advanced players who want more control over their vehicle, you can use one of three other setups: the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo, the GameCube controller, or the classic controller. While each of those play-styles were quite responsive and instantly familiar, the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo offered the best of both worlds; it was much easier to perform jump tricks (simply shake the two joypads) than awkwardly reaching for the directional pad on both the classic and GameCube controllers.

accourding to this preview wiimote+nunchuck is the best setup for the more advanced player.

for the whole hands-on click

The new powersliding technique sounds good by the way and this is from a hardcore snaker. Having to hold the slide longer for a more powerful boost is a nice new touch and sounds like it'll add a whole new strategic element to races, deciding just how long to hold for at certain points.

looks stunning, im sure gampley will match it, how can you possibly say the graphics are bad? :) cant wait for this,

graphics cant possibly be much better, as mario is a cartoony character, look at games like super mario world, they are timeless and could not be betterd for 2d games

sorry but have you seen the PS3's new ratchet and clank? That is a cartoony game but looks great with the extra graphics. There are mode models and distant objects and it just looks a whole lot better.

I think this is starting to sound really great and I'm looking forward to it more and more every day! It sounds like Mario Kart DS+ ..which should make this unmissable!

I'll see you all online :heh:

I think this is starting to sound really great and I'm looking forward to it more and more every day! It sounds like Mario Kart DS+ ..which should make this unmissable!

I'll see you all online :heh:

Yeah I am geting more and more exited about this game aswell.

sorry but have you seen the PS3's new ratchet and clank? That is a cartoony game but looks great with the extra graphics. There are mode models and distant objects and it just looks a whole lot better.

Are you seriously starting the graphics vs. fun / PS3 vs. Wii debate again? There's no point. Everyone sane knows that obviously the PS3 will have better graphics, because obviously it is more powerful blah blah blah. However, although this game may not look great right now in internet videos and screenshots, It is guaranteed to look a hell of a lot better when you're playing it. And let's face it, Mario Kart is and always has been much more about fun than looks, right?

The game looks a hell of a lot faster than previous versions (especially with all the new boosting techniques), which is just making me want it even more.