NEurope
Charlie

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I loved the book and all but just a couple of things that annoyed me (just slightly)

I wanted to see everyones response when Voldermort got defeated from the people he knew such as the Weasleys,Dumbledores Brother,Teachers etc after they went to Dumbledores office.

Also why 19 years? Such a long time though for a time skip, thought under 10 years would of done it and i'm curious as to what happened to other people apart from Harry,Ginny,Ron,Hermoine and Neville.Really should of been longer.

Would it of killed her to add more about the other characters and what they're up to now though.

19 years is just long enough for the Albus Serverus Potter starting Hogwarts talk.

Harry Potter is so far fetched!!!

I mean...I can accept the flying cars

I can accept the dragons...

But a ginger kid with two friends? Gimme a f###ing break!

Yeah duh.

*leaves thread*

Just finished it. It was nice... but I'm not haunted by it. Overall, it needed a stronger punch.

After His Dark Materials, all children's books seem too opaque and hollow. God bless you, Philip Pullman.

Finished too, it was quite nice. Of course it doesn't lay a finger to the classics, but the story is well developed and has nice twists. And the characters are quite likeable. Also, I never read a book so fast.

I finished the book, just one thing:

I thought the last word was supposed to be 'scar'?

Edit: ok a quick google reveals that she changed it a while ago.

Well re: the ending...

Don't get why she killed off certain characters... I dunno... I feel she should've gone all or nothing, rather than killing off some intermediate characters, I would've felt moved if Hermione, Ron, Ginny or Neville had died, but since it was some sort of in-between characters I didn't feel much. I guess some would've felt something for Lupin and Tonks, but I didn't. It should've been one of the main characters, or none of the supporting characters.

But with deaths aside, it was a decent enough ending, I could've done without the 19 years later and just ended at Hogwarts, with some kind of Ginny moment. But the climatic battle was excellent and uplifting and will no doubt work great in the film.

I finished the book, just one thing:

I thought the last word was supposed to be 'scar'?

Edit: ok a quick google reveals that she changed it a while ago.

Well re: the ending...

Don't get why she killed off certain characters... I dunno... I feel she should've gone all or nothing, rather than killing off some intermediate characters, I would've felt moved if Hermione, Ron, Ginny or Neville had died, but since it was some sort of in-between characters I didn't feel much. I guess some would've felt something for Lupin and Tonks, but I didn't. It should've been one of the main characters, or none of the supporting characters.

But with deaths aside, it was a decent enough ending, I could've done without the 19 years later and just ended at Hogwarts, with some kind of Ginny moment. But the climatic battle was excellent and uplifting and will no doubt work great in the film.

I think that needing a reson to kill characters is one of the biggest problems in writing, be it games, books or movies. People die for no reason, so why shouldn't they in fiction?

I felt nothing for any of the deaths but Dobby's. We never saw the others die, it was just 'OK they're dead' and seemed really needless. I almost cried when Dobby died because the knife was meant for Harry, and Dobby had just rescued them all from Malfoy Manor. He was a hero, most emotional moment in the series.

I think that needing a reson to kill characters is one of the biggest problems in writing, be it games, books or movies. People die for no reason, so why shouldn't they in fiction?

Because all sorts of things happen in childrens fiction the way they never do in real life. For starters, you always get a happy ending where evil loses :P

Because all sorts of things happen in childrens fiction the way they never do in real life. For starters, you always get a happy ending where evil loses :P

That's a different matter though :heh:

ive gotta say, i loved the serise, but i think its wrong to compair it to philip pullman. looking at the dark materials triliogy, id say they weren't really aimed at kids so much as could be read by kids, i found them to be pure fantasy rather then childrens books, with harry potter i found them (eariler books at least) to be more squarely aimed at younger readers but still appealing to adults, pullman was really subtle in his writting, hinting towards theams that i don't know how many kids, or adults would grasp.

is it me or did harry potter seem to grow with them, the earier books were pretty jolly and never seemed as bleak, but by the end of book 4 the stories got more complex and dark? dunno if id want my figurative 8 year old reading deathly hallows.

You always get an ending where evil loses, but it's not always happy.

Concerning the deaths, I was really touched by Dobby's and Snape's deaths. Other than that, not that much feeling eroused in me. Still, I agree that people die just like that and that's no flaw in the book.

I wish Ron would've died, though. I really do.

ive gotta say, i loved the serise, but i think its wrong to compair it to philip pullman. looking at the dark materials triliogy, id say they weren't really aimed at kids so much as could be read by kids, i found them to be pure fantasy rather then childrens books, with harry potter i found them (eariler books at least) to be more squarely aimed at younger readers but still appealing to adults, pullman was really subtle in his writting, hinting towards theams that i don't know how many kids, or adults would grasp.

is it me or did harry potter seem to grow with them, the earier books were pretty jolly and never seemed as bleak, but by the end of book 4 the stories got more complex and dark? dunno if id want my figurative 8 year old reading deathly hallows.

Pullman is a genius.:bowdown::heart::bowdown:

That was a really interesting webchat. I urge all Potter fans to read it!

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156

Loads of answers to questions.

I lol'ed at the answer to the "But who was supposeed to do maigc in later life?" question!!!

Why do we have to read from the bottom up!?!

Edit : quite intresting, apart from the layout. lol @ My Way by Frank Sinatra would be played at Dumledore's funeral!

It's now been re-formatted so normal people can read it aswell!!!

That was pretty cool :) I would've liked to have known how it originally ended before she changed the last word, and if there were ever plans for a very different ending.

That was pretty cool :) I would've liked to have known how it originally ended before she changed the last word, and if there were ever plans for a very different ending.

I read in another interview the other day that the last sentence was going to be, "Now only the people who were close to Harry could see his scar" or something.

Fuck all that shit.

HARRY POTTER - THE FINAL CHAPTER

(OR "HOW IT REALLY WENT DOWN")

Harry lay writhing in the ditch, twisting and squirming in the dirty muck. He was fucked, and he knew it. Voldemort had won from the moment Ron decided to swap his legs for a crate of Chocolate Frogs. Now his friends were gone, his magic powers were waning, and he could taste his own blood on his lips. His glasses and clothes smeared with a disgusting combination of shit and defeat, Harry looked up into the darkened sky and wondered what had become of his friends. Hermione had been dragged off by the Death Eaters: probably to be forced into sex slavery, he thought. The mental image of her performing lewd acts on each of the Dark Lord's followers, lest they transfigure her into a swamp rat or some other unpleasant creature, couldn't help but arouse him - and he felt himself gain a slight erection at the thought. This gave Harry an idea: he began to visualise his friend taking part in the most degrading and explicit sex acts he could think of; thinking back to the times he spent vigorously masturbating in the Cupboard Under the Stairs, and gradually his erection grew bigger. After a while, he was able to use his penis to lever himself from the ditch, and a few short hours later he was free. Moving over to where he had dropped his wand, Harry glanced around to make sure there were no Muggles that needed killing, before shouting "Accio broomstick!" and spreading his legs to accomodate the oncoming Firebolt.

As he flew towards Southampton, where Voldemort was planning to detonate the bomb, Harry began to question whether the death of every Muggle really was necessary to defeat his nemesis. Since Dumbledore had returned to life, his advice had been confusing and contradictory - to say the least. It was almost as though his common sense had remained dead, like the rest of him should have. Nevertheless, Harry had promised to accomplish this final task, and would see it through until the bitter end. It was Hagrid's betrayal that was most disturbing - though Harry had been expecting some former allies to defect and join the ranks of the Dark Lord, he was shocked by the giant's decision to abstain altogether, and fall in love with Ginny Weasley instead. He wouldn't have minded if Ginny had been sensible and dignified about her change of loyalties, but her choice to send him a YouTube link of the two lovers sharing a bath still filled him with rage.

Suddenly, somebody Apparated directly in front of Harry - who, in a split second decision, accelerated - and impaled the unknown wizard on the end of his broom. Shaking off a sudden flashback from one particularly sordid affair with Ginny, Harry looked up to see that it was in fact her father, Arthur Weasley, that had been gutted by the buisness end of Harry's broomstick. A jolt of guilty panic ran through Harry's veins - until he remembered that particular sentence in the eighth chapter of A Chamber of Secrets that suggested Arthur might betray the Order of the Phoenix. Sighing with relief and smirking to himself, Harry elbowed his best friend's father from the tip of his Firebolt, and watched as his corpse twisted through the midnight sky and fell through the chimney of some unsuspecting Muggle home.

"If you're ever in doubt, Harry...just jam."

Remembering the words that the Incredible Jazz Musician had whispered into his ear, Harry smiled to himself again, and continued to speed towards his destination.

Lord Voldemort stood upon Southampton Dock - replete with his handkerchief and summer frock - and waited for the Potter boy to arrive. He would have realised by now that the very idea of Horcruxes was ludicrous - indeed, Voldemort had just made them up to scare people - and, knowing the boy, he would be on his way to disarm the bomb. Lifting up his frock for a moment, Tom Riddle turned his gaze downwards - where Snape, under the Imperius curse, had been blowing him for the last forty minutes. He smiled, and stroked the former teacher's hair gently. "That's right, Severus...that's right." However, sensing that Potter might be approaching, he murmured a curse under his breath, and a flash of green light erupted from his penis - killing Snape instantly.

Hearing the soft thud of Harry's trainers land on the dock nearby, Voldemort smiled - an empty, thin smile - and turned his snake-like eyes to where the noise had come from.

"Harry Potter", Voldemort hissed, "your time is up."

Harry, realising that he had been rumbled, removed and ate his Invisibility Cloak before turning to face his foe once again.

TO BE CONTINUED!

If you liked His Dark Materials. May I recommend:

The Bartimaeus Trilogy - Jonathon Stroud.

Abhorsen Trilogy - Garth Nix.

Go. Go. Go.

If you liked His Dark Materials. May I recommend:

The Bartimaeus Trilogy - Jonathon Stroud.

Abhorsen Trilogy - Garth Nix.

Go. Go. Go.

Already covered them. :wink:

Yay. I can now read spoilers.

i didn't like the ending. I have beening looking forward to Harrys death for 7 books and when that part came it was glorious, well written and dare i say it, slightly moving. Great ending, Harry dies for "the greater good".

But then there is a passage explaining why he is not actually dead which was fair enough in its explanation but I still felt annoyed that Harry didn't actually die. It was almost as if she couldn't bring herself to actually kill off her beloved Harry. I like books/films with main character deaths at the end, partly because it stops the possibilty of sequals and at first, the ending delivered. Quite a good book though.

Also, Hermoine is not worthly of Ron's wedlock. He should have married a proper ginger girl or his sister or something.

Snape is my favourite character because he is so ambiguous, constantly shifting his allegences through all the books. However, at the end of the last book, I predicted his murder of Dumbledins would have been neccessarey and instructional but throughout this book I dropped that suspicion. Clever writing.

Finally finished. One word can sum it up:

Meh.

Already covered them. :wink:

You haven't really. j00 only think you have ¬_¬

Anyone else find it real creepy when Voldomort's snake came out of that dead witch's body and attacked Harry?

I would've done if the copy I was reading had a knack of pages sticking together. Which I put down to my brother reading it first [He proper arsebangs Potter] so I had to go back.

Exactly, we were miss-led in GoF. The second Voldy took Harry's blood he would never have been able to kill Harry. The only thing the Avada Kadava curse did was split Harry's soul from the horcrux (represented as the whining baby on the floor).

I just love how two wands can be "evenly" matched when Potter uses such a piss poor spell.

Just finished.

The book was so action packed that I actually can't wait to see the film.

Must've skipped the first 400 pages, did you?

I think she put 19 years as it was long enough to stop her having to do anouther book, Harry is 36 and not really young enough to be on his usual muckings on, and it erases the question of anything ahppeneing between the last chapter and the end that could be written about

Also, i think that the 19 year gap, Rowling is abel to put in harrys kids without making it seem he had them too young, he have been 24 when the first was born, some what preserving the traditional family unit.

Wasn't Harry born in 1980, putting him at 46 at least?

For those who feel like skipping the first half of the book, here's what happened.

Nothing but whine about how Dumbledore didn't tell him this and that, all while moving around the country camping.

Along with some Voldemort visions, but they don't really matter.

Not really much need in the spoiler tags, but I'm sure one will complain otherwise.

Wasn't Harry born in 1980, putting him at 46 at least?

harry might have been born in 1980, im not sure, but if that is the case, then the books end in 1997, as harry was 17 in the final chapter, and it was 19 years later, not 19 years from thoday. as that would change every time you read the book.

17 + 19 = 36.

that would change every time you read the book.

That would be even better. Peedo Potter perving on the first years.

It makes for a courtroom novel all over.

You haven't really. j00 only think you have ¬_¬

Hm? Perhaps my post gave off the wrong impression, they were both awesome.