NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
flameboy

Belkin router help

Is there any way to set up more than one wireless network on Belkin routers?

My Dad has one here at home which he uses for work, for whatever reason his company laptop will only connect to WPA wireless networks, so thats fine for connecting with Wii. But not so great for DS...

Also I've got a BT Home Hub that uses WEP, would that plug into the my router in anyway?

Hope theres a way to sort it otherwise gonna have to settle for getting a wireless dongle...

Well simply if you dad has to connect then your ds cant because the home hub only "gets the internet" from ADSL line.

As far as I know (from using previous routers and having my new homehub for the past week) I dont think you can use it as a node even so routers can only broadcast 1 signal.

Best bet is to try and find drivers for your dad's laptop.

Can't get drivers, all sorts disabled on his laptop, right click, CD Drive, USB ports, Downloading.... the list goes on

EDIT: could I get a wireless dongle and run it off my laptop that runs off net using a wireless card?

^ Its not that difficult the administrative password on windows XP. Being it a company laptop, they probably locked the default admin account,which is accessible if you boot into safe mode without a password. Being its a work laptop, its owned by the company, so unless you are comfortable I would not bother.

WPA is prefered anyway, as WEP is terribly broken security standard. WPA is broken too, but WPA is better for business with MAC address registration. As far as the DS, Nintendo screwed up by using a propriety wireless chipset and not updating its wireless support, but enough rambling on the details.

You best option is just to get the wireless dongle for the DS. If you had a router that supported Linux-custom firmware, there might be more you could do, but Belkin's routers are "blah". The dongle will be the quickest and the fewest steps to get your DS working online, so I recommend it.

It doesn't use Windows...Windows loads up, you log and then it loads this kinda custom OS on top of Windows...

But yeah looks like its a dongle, so expensive though...£30 for the official one...

Nooo! Do not get an official one! you have to hack it to even begin using it for the pc.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/cat/Wireless/subcat/USB-Adapters

Something from here. I bought a 9.99 one (cheapest one) from there 1 year ish ago and it does work charms. Until it fell onto the floor and i rolled over it with my chair trying to pick it up!

Then I got the wifi max, big mistake.. Official wifi pen is too expensive and unflexible.

It doesn't use Windows...Windows loads up, you log and then it loads this kinda custom OS on top of Windows...

Aye, it just uses an autostart propriety app as an interface, most likely.

Do you have any other computer in the house other than his laptop?

Aye, it just uses an autostart propriety app as an interface, most likely.

Do you have any other computer in the house other than his laptop?

yeah I do, got our home computer and then my own laptop...

Sign in to follow this