NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
corkcrumbs

problems with the wiimote?

But the invisible box has already existed for a whole generation. Dual-Analogue controllers used an "invisible box", too. It isn't something designed for the Wii.

Retro Studios actually tried that - they said it felt very unnatural as you had to hold a button to turn, let go of the button, centre the remote, hold button again and move remote again to turn further.

Hold a button to turn? That doesn't make any sense, lol, why would you need to do that? As I understand it the only problem is that when you're dealing with a pointing device a 1:1 ratio becomes unbearable, but also the only way... so there's the problem, a small irritating problem that makes developers turn to the invisible box that apparently also was around during the last generation of videogame consoles...

Hold a button to turn? That doesn't make any sense, lol, why would you need to do that? As I understand it the only problem is that when you're dealing with a pointing device a 1:1 ratio becomes unbearable, but also the only way... so there's the problem, a small irritating problem that makes developers turn to the invisible box that apparently also was around during the last generation of videogame consoles...

I think the 'holding a button to turn' thing (or equally, holding the button to centre your aim) is to simulate the mouse actions of moving the mouse to turn and then lifting the mouse up to centre it on your mouse mat before turning further.

This is the closest way of emulating what many consider to be the best possible FPS setup, but as pointed out, is quite cumbersome and not very intuitive.

The problem with a 1-1 ratio without a method of holding a button to turn/look is that once you've begun turning, you continue to turn forever until you aim at the dead centre of the screen, meaning your field of view is almost always moving slightly - apparently this was very disorientating.

Perhaps all FPS games should have the option of defining the size and shape of the bounding box, including having no bounding box. MP3 sort of does this by offering three control options (Normal, Advanced, Expert) which as I understand it, simply alters the size of the bounding box.

Because if you did a 180 turn in-game you wouldn't be able to see the screen.

That's a completely different issue to having a bounding box and a non-fixed reticule though. You point left, the camera and the fixed crosshair go left the same amount. You return to the centre, it stops. How difficult is that? Why do we have to have the same wonky console aiming with the wii-mote as we do for poor dual-analogue FPS games?

That's a completely different issue to having a bounding box and a non-fixed reticule though. You point left, the camera and the fixed crosshair go left the same amount. You return to the centre, it stops. How difficult is that? Why do we have to have the same wonky console aiming with the wii-mote as we do for poor dual-analogue FPS games?

Read my third paragraph above. They say it's disorientating, but I would like to try it for myself because it sounds like it would work quite well to me.

If some people did find it feasible, then there's no reason why they can't let you customise the bounding box (including getting rid of it completely).

I just had a wacky idea - How about a control scheme where you place the Wiimote on a table, pointing at the screen, and it picked up the movements you make, as if you were ontrolling a mouse!

Read my third paragraph above. They say it's disorientating, but I would like to try it for myself because it sounds like it would work quite well to me.

If some people did find it feasible, then there's no reason why they can't let you customise the bounding box (including getting rid of it completely).

I just had a wacky idea - How about a control scheme where you place the Wiimote on a table, pointing at the screen, and it picked up the movements you make, as if you were ontrolling a mouse!

That would work, but I don't think Nintendo would like it, and that's somewhat understandable, they want to have a new, cool control scheme, so mimicking a mouse that works in 2D isn't maybe something they'd go with, but here's hoping, I think it's a great idea, although it's of course a bit difficult to slide around with a wiimote on a table, but still definitely better than the invisible box.

It sucks, I've tried it. How?

Connect your wiimote to your computer using bluetooth then download Glovepie and start one of the fps scripts. Some scripts require a sensor bar if it does turn on your wii and place the sensor bar under/over your monitor.

Start any fps and try it out yourself!

PS: if your mouse starts to move around like crazy press "shift+P+I+E"

(I havn't been able to try it but HL2wii looks like it works very well! Its a mod so it doesn't use glovepie)

What's this all about? Metroid Prime 3 controls superbly and it actually has FPS controls; just because it does poorly at replicating a mouse doesn't mean it can't control FPS games.

I think this alls comes down to the fact that motion sensing controls aren't always better. I'd love to see someone playing Red Steel with regular controls and playing it with the Wii-mot and seeing who came out on top.

I think this alls comes down to the fact that motion sensing controls aren't always better. I'd love to see someone playing Red Steel with regular controls and playing it with the Wii-mot and seeing who came out on top.

Unless Eurogamer are playing, the Wii Remote method will probably win most games.

Sign in to follow this