N-Europe

I played on a Wii for the first time yesterday...

Wesley

So I'm a big gaming fan and keep up-to-date with all the going ons; but I don't actually own any next-gen consoles. And for the first time yesterday I played on a Wii and I was quite disappointed to start off with... I played Wii Sports and it was so boring... so simple and didn't captivate me at all.

Then I played Resident Evil 4 and that was a little better... controls were hard but then again I guess they would be fine after a bit more playing (especially cause I was a Wii n00b). So basically what I want to know, is do you think based on this I should still buy a Wii? Does anyone else out there really enjoy their Wii but totally hate Wii Sports? normally the fact that I don't like one game wouldn't bother me... but this is a game that people have hyped so much...

Well, personally I enjoy Wii Sports in short periods. I do the daily training thing every once in a while. But I can quite certainly say that if I'd pay money to buy the game I would've been very dissapointed.

The other games I have are quite good: NFS:C, Godfather and Zelda.

One of my friend's played my Wii for the first time a few weeks ago. He was having a great time playing Wii Sports and laughing at his action, while I could not get him off Excite Truck. But when we were discussing it a few days ago he was saying that all my games were shite, apart from Red Steel, which he hardly touched, and complained about the controls ever so often. Weird...

Wii Sports boring? You should play Wii Tennis against mates. Beyond boxing and tennis I agree that the games aren't all that as you repeat the same thing over and over, but tennis is pure sex.

I don't think you should buy the Wii unless there are games that interest you. I bought mine on launch with Zelda and Wii Play and I don't regret it at all, but I had over 6 months after the launch before I finally bought a new game for it, Pangya! Golf With Style, and I like it more than Wii Sports, but in the end it's a pretty simple game too.

If you don't like games like Wii Sports of Wario Ware where you have to waggle around like a maniac, I wouldn't suggest the Wii for you :) There are much better single-player games on other consoles.

This is true.

But i'm sure Mario Galaxy, Metroid and a load of other 1st party titles will be good candidates for single player fun!

So I'm a big gaming fan and keep up-to-date with all the going ons; but I don't actually own any next-gen consoles. And for the first time yesterday I played on a Wii and I was quite disappointed to start off with... I played Wii Sports and it was so boring... so simple and didn't captivate me at all.

Then I played Resident Evil 4 and that was a little better... controls were hard but then again I guess they would be fine after a bit more playing (especially cause I was a Wii n00b). So basically what I want to know, is do you think based on this I should still buy a Wii? Does anyone else out there really enjoy their Wii but totally hate Wii Sports? normally the fact that I don't like one game wouldn't bother me... but this is a game that people have hyped so much...

it depends what you want the wii for. I played it 3 times since friday with friends, wii sports is very basic, its a good introduction, but it is in my eye's more of a fun tool, kinda calibrating you to the wii controller.

red steel, excite truck and strikers are the games I've enjoyed most in that time. Wii sports and Wii play are good games, but I'm more likely to play them with my family than my friends.

the only games I enjoy playing with friends on play and sports are boxing and tanks.. maybe tennis

Get a US NTSC Wii and you'll have plenty of reasons to play! Especially since Metroid Prime 3 comes out next month for us importers! :grin:

Honestly, the PAL lineup sucks monkey balls (Except for Mario Strikers that is!)

I didn't enjoy Wii Sports that much either, and I definitely know what it's like being in the minority. However, if you're a fan of Nintendo games, I think you should still get it as you'll have no other place to buy Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Brawl, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart, and the list goes on.

These games utilize and will utilize the controller in ways that only enhance the gameplay. You might not enjoy Wii Sports, but that's just attributed to the actual gameplay style for the game not suiting you. I didn't enjoy Wii Sports, but then again, I knew when I first heard of it that I wouldn't. Not that it's bad, it just didn't hold my attention for more than 5-10 minutes.