NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Raining_again

Utorrent speeds?

Ok, got a wee issue with UTorrent here folks:

utorrent.jpg

as per picture above, i'm getting very silly download speeds.

I've done the following:

Used a different port number, checking the port is forwarded (it is) Tried enabling / disabling just about all of the options, no change... Different download sources, all of similar speeds (all of which had a good strength). Tried google for solutions but no real help.

ISP - Pipex (1mb unlimited service) I'm getting a 213k/bits p/s download rate, seems typical of a 2mb connection but who am i to complain!

Any more ideas?

How are you connected up to the internet? If you use a port forwarding properly there triangle "!" should be a circular green tick.

If you are using a router, make sure to change the portforwarded in the router to the same one in utorrent. I am on 2mb and I get around 400 on a VERY good day and well seeded torrent. Usually anything from 150 to early 300.

I think its an issue with vista i had it a while back. Google utorrent not connecting in vista and it gives you info on how to open ports manually.

I get an average speed of 5kb!!!!

Why?? I tried the things on portforward.com for the BT homehub but the tutorial is wrong near the end so i'm stuck. (it says to press a button on the screen that isn't there lol

I'm using a wireless connection and its always got a "good" signal. The little exclamation mark is always either red or yellow.

What can I do? Any suggestion would help. (i'm using vista utorrent)

EDIT:

I am using port 56125, utorrent now has a green light, but when i click test if port is open it says it isn't! I'm still downloading at no more than 5kb

using a netgear router - don't know the model off-hand.

portforward.jpg

I haven't actually forwarded any ports myself but it seems to be okay here. It isn't me that administers our router, so i might have to ask my dad nicely. xD

If you use a port forwarding properly there triangle "!" should be a circular green tick.

A what where now?

Hmm the green circle is near the bottom right once you got it working.

It looks like your router is forwarding the port.

The only thing I cant think of is that some ports are being used by other things. Atm I am using 32741.

Make sure you forward that and get back to me.

hmm sometimes the isp throttle BT traffic, so enable encryption.

Just a hunch but, if you have Vista Firewall off, you need to let the program access it anyway through the Firewall options.

Why don't you just use a different torrent program?

Azureus is good imo.

IMO I would never touch Azureus since uTorrent has a smaller footprint and is smaller in size plus it does everything Azureus does.

IMO I would never touch Azureus since uTorrent has a smaller footprint and is smaller in size plus it does everything Azureus does.

Hmmm....maybe I should check out uTorrent.

Just a question, but the only time I can get up to speeds of about 50kb average is about 1am to 6am, why??

combination of traffic shaping and/ or just that the seeds/ peers which log on or give you the high speeds are in such a timezone which leads to faster speeds at those times.

Its probs best then anyways since you will be asleep and wont bog down usage!

Just a question, but the only time I can get up to speeds of about 50kb average is about 1am to 6am, why??

Same here.

Pipex/everyone have started traffic shaping. Maybe you're being hit by it.

That stinks if they are prioritizing traffic at the ISP level over there. Lucky, there isn't any packeting filtering over here...yet

I recommend upgrading the router firmware regardless.

I have had a few wireless netgears drop bricks worth of packets while using multiple connections associated with peers...and generally crap out. A firmware updates helped.

Hmmm....maybe I should check out uTorrent.

Aye, you should. Think of it as Azureus, but without the crappy and bloated java base...a pudding like base it is...But a flavor you won't generally like...Like coffee.

Hmm the green circle is near the bottom right once you got it working.

It looks like your router is forwarding the port.

The only thing I cant think of is that some ports are being used by other things. Atm I am using 32741.

Make sure you forward that and get back to me.

hmm sometimes the isp throttle BT traffic, so enable encryption.

I think pipex has somehow found a way of throttling encrypted traffic also, well seems to be the rumours on some info i found via google.

I tried the suggested number, and also on the exceptions as jordan said.. its kinda gone a bit whacky on me, went to 50 then its down to 20 on one download...and the other one is at 1.2 :( (actually make that 0.2)

Makes you wonder if its worth paying all this money for "unlimited" internet. What a con. Its not like i'm taking the pure biscuit out of it either, i don't think i go anywhere near 30gb in a month.

I recommend upgrading the router firmware regardless.

we got a new router a week ago, and all the firmware was updated then

I am stumped! At least the speed is slightly better hmm ADSL since it shares the line with the phones mean POSSIBLY that the bandwidth is being taken out by some phone activity >.<

URRRURRHGHGHGHGH..... I downloaded a vista patch for city life, from a website directly, and i was gettin about 80kbps.

We have an adsl filter on our line, so i don't think it would be line disturbance.

I assume that this will be common practice amongst isps soon? My workmate has limewire and hers won't download anything now.

Oh and aeroscap - your sig is the win.

Haha, you people snuffed at AOL once but I am having no issues of the sort! Well, not yet anyway, get me some nice 150kB/s transfer rates in utorrent, but that was only after I set up the port forwarding on my router, which took me a while to do and figure out, and I'm still not entirely sure how I did it. I think I found a guide through uTorrent itself though, but it seems you're not having a problem with that. Have you asked anyone else you know with the same ISP/package?

Just thought I would bump this because I recently changed my upload speed and it improved things. One thing I see is that your upload speed is really high.

I used to have mine on 30. When I lowered it to 22 not only did it increase my download speeds but it made browsing while downloading with torrents much faster too. (I'm on 2mb dsl with a low upstream so don't think of me as stingy! Plus I nearly always make sure I have a very generous up/down ratio before removing a torrent)

Pipex/everyone have started traffic shaping. Maybe you're being hit by it.

Everyone eh? I know Pipex did, but it seems Virgin Media do not, infact I was getting speeds of 2.3MB/s, which is fucking obscene seeing as I only have a 10Mbit cable connection..

obscene%20speed.png

Most i ever got on lame-media was ~1.2mb/s yet to test out BT total broadband. Also note that the torrents you got are like mega healthly *smashing pumpkings ftw!*

Sign in to follow this