NEurope
Retro_Link

Civilisation Revolution

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7948/1/Civilization_Revolution_Heads_to_Wii%20and%20DS

Nintendo News | Civilization Revolution Heads to Wii/DS

In an interesting announcement, 2K and Take-Two have announced the release of Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution on next-generation consoles and handhelds including Wii and DS bringing the classic “God Game†genre to Nintendo’s consoles.

The latest Civilization game is set to be built from scratch for all next-gen consoles and handhelds, making players attempt to rule the world by creating and leading a civilization from the dawn of man into the futuristic space-age. The game is set to include 16 civilizations to master and lead to victory, an array of famous historical leaders to play as or compete against, and accessible maps and streamlined time scale for quicker games, intense combat, and constant action. Online play, including ranked matches, leaderboards and extra content is set to be included (however it is uncertain if this feature would be available for all versions).

"Civilization Revolution is the game I've always wanted to make! We are excited to take advantage of the power of next generation consoles and the ingenuity of handhelds, to create a great and unique strategy game for newcomers to the series, as well as the millions of fans around the world who enjoy Civilization on the PC."

Sid Meier, Director of Creative Development at Firaxis Games.

"Civilization is one of the world's top selling PC game series with more than 8 million units sold, and continues to be recognized as one of the greatest franchises ever created. We are excited to have Sid Meier getting back to his roots as the game's Lead Designer to carry on its legacy with Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution."

Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K.

Civilization Revolution will be released in spring 2008 for next generation consoles and handhelds.

This is another genre Wii is perfect for!

Cubed3 forgot to mention that no platforms were specified in the announcement. So we may not see it at all.

Cubed3 forgot to mention that no platforms were specified in the announcement. So we may not see it at all.

It states Wii and DS in the article, which is interesting.

I hope it's true, the Wii would definitely suit something like this. I can see them making a seperate Wii build of the game after the success it's gained, but I guess the biggest issue for me is that it's really a PC game at heart. For the whole God-Sim type RTS thing I'd rather someone just made a unique and exclusive Wii franchise :(.

It states Wii and DS in the article, which is interesting.

The official press release says:

Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution will be released in spring 2008 for next generation consoles and handhelds.

The trailer on the official website says It'll be on the 360 and PS3. (Handheld version will probably be a different trailer).

The official press release says:

The trailer on the official website says It'll be on the 360 and PS3. (Handheld version will probably be a different trailer).

Gamespress doesn't have any specific news on which platforms, perhaps they got their source from something closer but I wouldn't be surprised to see this ignored for the Wii.

Time shall tell I guess, I personally doubt this game will interest me but it could be interesting. It seems a bit too PC orientated to come to the WIi.

Gamespress doesn't have any specific news on which platforms, perhaps they got their source from something closer

The article is clearly just a reworded form of the press release.

IGN have posted this in their Wii Section now, so I think it's very likely a Wii version is on the cards. I can't personally see so many news websites getting this sort of thing wrong so I'd say it's likely there is a Wii version being built - Well it's common sense really.

Still not 100% but wow, it's been a busy day for the Wii. So many games annouced or strongly rumoured.

It's ironic there has been RTS style discussion here recently. If this comes I'd be happy. Sid Meiers original is still astounding today :¬)

i was thinking the same as you tapedeck. it is rather ironic how we were saying the wii needed RTS and then this announcement.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/8052/1/Sid_Meier

Nintendo DS/Wii News | Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Confirmed

In its pre-E3 Press Release, 2K Games has confirmed that Civilization Revolution is definitely coming to both Nintendo's Wii and DS, under the watchful eye of both legendary designer Sid Meier himself and Firaxis Games. The game is set for Spring 2008 on DS and Autumn 2008 on Wii.

Confirmation that the Wii will see this game!

A long way off yet! but hopefully that just means it will be something special when it arrives!

The Wii should be being fully utilised by third parties by then!

Confirmation that the Wii will see this game!

A long way off yet! but hopefully that just means it will be something special when it arrives!

The Wii should be being fully utilised by third parties by then!

Thats what sales will do for you!

Very good news, I just wish we could see a C&C game!

this is so true. i wish we would see a C&C game too with a nice online mode for massive battles.

Ok, a little weird that this topic was never posted in after the game actually came out...

It's really quite good! I bid for a PS3 copy on eBay after downloading the iPhone version when it was made free a limited time, and I've had fun playing it. Never played Civ before, got hold of Civ 4 on PC as well now but that seems massively more complicated. This is nice and accessible and has online multiplayer too. Really takes me back to the Red Alert days, albeit games take longer to play out.

For around £14 I think everyone into the RTS genre should give it a shot.

Edit: Just realised it never came out on the Wii in the end. Guess this could get moved to Other Consoles/DS?

Edit: Just realised it never came out on the Wii in the end. Guess this could get moved to Other Consoles/DS?
And... done! :)

For around £14 I think everyone into the RTS genre should give it a shot.

Its a Turn Based Strategy game, not a Real Time Strategy game.

Anyway, I haven't played this, but if its oversimplified, I think I'll just wait for Civ V. The Robustness of Civ is what I enjoy about it TBH.

And... done! :)

Cheers.

It's actually more of a RTS/Turn-based hybrid; at least online, when you play others you both take your goes simultaneously. And for Civ newcomers...forget Civ IV. Unless you want to read a fat manual before you have the slightest idea what you're doing. This is just so accessible.

Bought this on 360 when it was released. I always found the regular Civ games to complex and serious so this game was perfect for me. Spent several hours playing every map with different civilizations even though it didn't get me any new achievements.

Never played online much, the weak connection made it too slow and unstable.

I played the demo kept meaning to buy it as I loved it but never really got round to it! Might have to see how cheap I can find it.

Played the demo and found it way to simplified for me, it is understandably simplified seeing as it is reaching a market that has not played it before.

If you really liked Civ Revolution, then I can tell you that it is worth it to move up to the main Civilization title.

Especially since Civ V is coming soon.

If you really liked Civ Revolution, then I can tell you that it is worth it to move up to the main Civilization title.

Especially since Civ V is coming soon.

I might do. I got hold of Civ IV in the wait for Revolution to be delivered and didn't have a clue. Revolution is the perfect way to start playing Civ games since it's understandable to newcomers and still plays really well. Although maybe I'll have a better grasp of the basics in the PC version now!