NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rico

RAM Problem

Right, so to start with a months back i had to replace my motherboard and RAM due to both burning out.

Everything was fine, but the RAM stick was a 512mb but only registered in windows as 256mb. This wasn't bad, everything ran fine and i just assumed it was a bad stick of RAM, however despite Windows and Task Manager registering as only 256mb available, system information picked up 512mb. Then last week the computer booted quicker than normal, and to my suprise the computer registered as having 512mb of RAM.

Thinking everything was ok, i happily used my machine as normal. Coming back to use it today, i found it rather sluggish, and checking Task Manager i have only 256mb of RAM again.

Now i've tried MemTest 1.86 and it only picks up 256mb RAM, unless i choose to probe, in which case it picks up 512mb.

The BIOS only reports 256mb aswell. And none is allocated to Video RAM, i've checked.

The only things i did prior to the change to 512mb was to use a Linux LiveCD and update a driver, i've re-tried both, and no luck.

My other specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.7Ghz

Nvidia GeForce4 MMX 440

Windows XP SP2

Any idea what causes this?

Thanks to all who help

Is the ram double sided? As in, is their chips on each side of the ram?

If thats the case, then your motherboard can't read double sided ram and you'll just have to get another stick.

I recommend posting both your motherboard make and model, as well as the RAM. Each motherboard has a list of company tested ram modules which are compatibles by company testing. This list does not mean there are other which will work, it is just the list in which they test series of different RAM modules and tell you which work or do not work with the board.

I agree with jordan, as I know that some of the older Socket-A boards had some issues with DIMMS, but I also know that some BIOS updates increase memory compatibility. One socket A board I had for a friend did not function completely with the memory I gave it, until a BIOS update expanded its memory compatibility.

Depending when they made your board, you may have a very old BIOS compared to the current build on the manufacturer's website.

Of course, it could also be something "borked" on the board or the RAM, but I would bet on the BIOS first. Who knows, maybe the RAM needs a little bit of a voltage kick which sometimes works, but I would start on the BIOS and Mainboard Mem compatibility list.

Is the ram double sided? As in, is their chips on each side of the ram?

If thats the case, then your motherboard can't read double sided ram and you'll just have to get another stick.

I'm pretty sure it's a single chip.

I recommend posting both your motherboard make and model, as well as the RAM. Each motherboard has a list of company tested ram modules which are compatibles by company testing. This list does not mean there are other which will work, it is just the list in which they test series of different RAM modules and tell you which work or do not work with the board.

I agree with jordan, as I know that some of the older Socket-A boards had some issues with DIMMS, but I also know that some BIOS updates increase memory compatibility. One socket A board I had for a friend did not function completely with the memory I gave it, until a BIOS update expanded its memory compatibility.

Depending when they made your board, you may have a very old BIOS compared to the current build on the manufacturer's website.

Of course, it could also be something "borked" on the board or the RAM, but I would bet on the BIOS first. Who knows, maybe the RAM needs a little bit of a voltage kick which sometimes works, but I would start on the BIOS and Mainboard Mem compatibility list.

Well i'm not too sure on it, but this is what everest had to say:

Motherboard Properties:

Motherboard ID 11/08/2004-KT400-8235-6A6LYPA9C-00

Motherboard Name Epox EP-8K9A2+

Front Side Bus Properties:

Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6

Bus Width 64-bit

Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)

Effective Clock 267 MHz

Bandwidth 2132 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:

Bus Type DDR SDRAM

Bus Width 64-bit

Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)

Effective Clock 200 MHz

Bandwidth 1599 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:

Bus Type VIA V-Link

Bus Width 8-bit

Real Clock 67 MHz (ODR)

Effective Clock 533 MHz

Bandwidth 533 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:

CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 462

Expansion Slots 6 PCI, 1 AGP

RAM Slots 3 DDR DIMM

Integrated Devices Audio, LAN

Form Factor ATX

Motherboard Size 240 mm x 300 mm

Motherboard Chipset KT400

Extra Features Ultra-ATA/133, RAID

Motherboard Manufacturer:

Company Name EPoX Europe B.V.

Product Information http://www.epox.nl/products/?product_cat_id=1

BIOS Download http://www.epox.nl/downloads/bios/?product_cat_id=1

Hope that that shows the right information.

Well, Epox's documentation is terrible, but regardless...Here is a new BIOS version

A new BIOS:

Released: 2003-05-09

Version: 20030509

You will have to check you current version number by entering the BIOS when the computer starts, or try CPU wizard on the Mainboard tab. This update mentions "Fixed unstable issue when FSB133 CPU is used", of which you have.

Two, you should have that stick of RAM in slot 1, which is the RAM slot located closest to the CPU socket on the motherboard. If that is already, or the change does nothing, try increasing your RAM module voltage by one of the smallest increment.

If you have any information on the RAM you got, manufacture/model,it would be also beneficial.

G'day.

Sign in to follow this