NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Excelle

Online on new EA Sports games EXCEPT Tiger Woods?

Lame:

Our friends over at LiveWii are giving us some more info from EA Sport’s media briefing. Apparently Madden, Tiger Woods, and NBA Live will all have an exclusive party mode on the Wii in addition to the regular modes. As far as online is concerned, NBA Live and Madden will feature online play, but Tiger Woods will not. I wonder why Tiger didn’t make the cut.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=20296

Let's hope there's some kind of mistake here - I've no interest in Madden or NBA Live, but I was counting on Tiger Woods 08 having online.

Isn't golf:

- A bit too "lonely" for online

- A bit long for online?

Surely with a Golf game, online can be "recreated" by simply sharing scores over in instant messenger as you both play through a course?

Isn't golf:

- A bit too "lonely" for online

- A bit long for online?

Surely with a Golf game, online can be "recreated" by simply sharing scores over in instant messenger as you both play through a course?

I think golf online can work just fine (it has on the PC for years). It's just a bit more casually paced - you can have a round with your friends of an evening. I agree it would work much better with some sort of voicechat, but still. The other platforms versions of TW have online this time around - why not Wii?

The press release I read said it was FIFA, Madden and Tiger woods online, but didn't mention NBA.

Although I can imagine that source being very wrong so perhaps this one is right. It seems odd to miss it out for Tiger Woods but no other major sports game. Especially after great sales of Tiger Woods 07 on the Wii :/.

I think the thing is as well, I don't think I would have minded if TW didn't have head-to-head online play, but all the new features of Gamernet being added to the 360 and PS3 versions sounded great:

Single shots, holes, or even a full round of golf can be uploaded to servers for others to view. In addition, EA is taking the idea one step further and allowing users to create their own challenges and upload them for others to take on. Points are earned for both creating and completing challenges, and leaderboards will keep track of the top performers in both categories.

I think the thing is as well, I don't think I would have minded if TW didn't have head-to-head online play, but all the new features of Gamernet being added to the 360 and PS3 versions sounded great:

It may have all that - the article says no online play. Not no online mode at all. The Wii has the Connect24 type of online - so Tiger Woods may use that as opposed to WiFi Connection

TW08 hs got to have online play. its exclusion is the reason i didnt buy 07 . I think the promise of online in 08 will be a system seller for the EA sports lovers. get crackin EA, and sort out the progressive display option too.

EA need to spend more time refining the swinging action on this one. I was thoroughly dissapointed by '07's erratic, oft-differing mechanics. If they can nail the controls then they can start looking at online features. Personally I feel that golf games are much more rewarding when played alone or with someone else in the room with you. Unless you could scribble on the screen mid game to chat/put other players off. Anyhoo, I'm getting ahead of myself! As I said, if the controls are spot on it's a must buy. I was stung badly by '07 but I still think golfing on the Wii is too good to resist. NBA could have some interesting motion controls added, bouncing would tire you senseless though. Maybe shooting as reaching up would be good. Maaaan, there are just so many ways to play sports games on Wii!

EA need to spend more time refining the swinging action on this one. I was thoroughly dissapointed by '07's erratic, oft-differing mechanics.

Initially I thought the controls were off , but after a few days of frustration I got them nailed and did find them pretty satisfying. There still could of been some minor improvements with them though.

The worst thing I found was the shocking presentation with lack of 60hz , frequent slowdown (unbelievable in a golf game) and an absolutely awful menu system.

Even if they manage to address these issues I am unlikely to bother with the new version as the main problem with the game is the same one that has re-occured the last few years , and that is the difficulty setting. Even with the difficulty ramped up this game becomes too easy too quickly.

If online functionality does get added that also will not be enough to persuade me to return to the series.

As for Madden , I am already counting the days as August 24th (if news is correct) cannot come soon enough.

I found the swing mechanics were ok yet the power variation was way off. Chipping at only half power seemed horrendously difficult at times. And the games ability to over-shoot the green when you were only mere yards away was unfathomable.

I'm a lover of the Tiger Woods games yet I agree that they are far too easy; (which you probably need to see everything the game offers!) yet I just wasn't enamoured by the motion controls. For £40 I expected something (as you stated) with good presentation, control choices and progressive scan. Instead I went back to the "free" Wii sports Golf and started praying EA got it right the next time they took Woodsy into their studios for some more mo cap hijinks.

according to the front page. TW08 doesnt have online play. EA always leave something out.

Sign in to follow this