NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Why Are We Complaining?

Ok, hands up all of those who are sick of the lack of action/adventure games on the Wii and with the delays of certain titles from one region to another. Also raise your hand if you have complained about these topics on here other message boards.

*HoT slowly raise his own hand as he looks for other to do the same*

This is something that I talked about recently in another topic and its something that I have been thinking about while at work. There are alot of us complaining about the lack of "real" games out on the Wii and also the delays in the titles that we are getting.

The delay thing can easily be tackled, we live in Europe people and we have always been treated this way. No matter how much we want the games its very very rare that we get them the same time or even before America or Japan. By now we all should be used to this kind of treatment so really we should just get over it.

Now that the starter is over with its time to tackle the main course, the lack of "real" games.

Looking at the titles that are out at the moment on the Wii you can really see that developers didnt exactly have faith in the Wii at all. The console has been out here 7 months and the majority of the games that are out are mini game collections and ports with tacked on controls. This is one of the main reasons why so few decent titles have arrived as developers clearly underestimated what the people wanted and they have been took by suprise by the success of the Wii. Lets try to be patient and give the developers more time to unleash the potential of this console.

So, what can we all do while we wait for this potential to be unlocked? Well there seems to be something that alot of people have forgotten about and that is that the Wii is many consoles in one. It has an ever increasing back catalogue of games released every week but the main thing I want to concentrate on though is the Cube compatability.

How many of you own a Cube or even got rid of the machine but kept the games? Alot of you I figure. Now how many of you have played through all the games you got or even wanted on the Cube? You see the point im trying to make is ( yes im dragging on abit, sorry ) that the Wii already has a great amount of "real" games at its disposal, we just havent been looking.

I have got sitting on my shelf such games as Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia Trilogy, Ikaruga and Pokemon XD that have NEVER been played and there was me kicking off as the Wii had no good games.

There are bound to be games on your shelf just waiting to be played or even games that you never had the chance to play on the Cube before hand. Go into your nearest games shop and go find these games and pick them up for what will no doubt be a pretty cheap price now that the Cube has been declared dead. Even if you have got all the games you want on the Cube then fire up classics such a Metroid Prime, Wind Waker or Tales of Symphonia.

So, in closing, the next time there is a drought on the Wii take a look at the Cubes collection. Yes sure they are classed as old games now but an old game that you have never played before will over new experiences.

End of rant, sorry if the spelling paragraphs etc suck but its 6 in the morning and I just got in from work : peace:

On the basis of this argument I am now annoyed that the PS3 has loads more real games.

well if i still only had the wii i would be complaining.. but now I have my wonderfull 360 so everything is just dandy

Yay, playing 5 year old games on my Wii.

I don't play games much atm, don't have time, so I aint too arsed. There are a few GC classics I'm sure people missed out on, Tales of Symphonia, Eternal Darkness, Skies of Arcadia etc.

But yeah, it's hardly a great suggestion, but the whole drought thing will be over by September.

The good games will come now more developers are switching resources to the Wii due to it's massively growing user base.

I play VC retro games more than anything else on the Wii.

the drought sucks big time..

We should have had super paper mario by now, I don't care how much text there is to translate. And when we'll finally get it in september, we'll cry again for not getting metroid prime 3.

Of course, there is a nice collection of available games (both wii and vc), it's just it's two best games are still gamecube games.

We've been through this: there is no drought. At least no drought which I have noticed. Been too busy playing Wii games you see. Heatseeker for one. And Madden. And online Strikers. That's always great for a laugh. Also Excite Truck keeps bringing me back. Haven't even finished Zelda yet as a result! (Nearly finished now though.) I've promised myself Sonic as soon as I've finished though. Hell, I'm still playing the Wii Golf game!

If you're honestly bored with your Wii you should probably go out and buy some games. Eledees? Metal Slug? Dragon ball Z Budakai? Maybe even some Cooking Mama or Koroinpa perhaps?

I know, I know, not "proper" games, though primarily in the sense that none of them are GTA or Gears of War style actions fests. That'll be out later with Prime 3. In the mean time, you go right ahead and be miserable in your little drought. I'll be over here swimming with dolphins.

I'm with gaggle on this one. I'm loving the wii, not for the VC (which is awesome) or the GC compatibility (which is handy) but, shock horror, because of the Wii games - I don't understand I really don't. I've got about 15 Wii games so far and it's only been out half a year! I dread to think how many I'll have come christmas.

All you people who have moaned about the games - have you actually played any of these games which don't meet your ridiculous standards? Have you really played Sonic, Kororinpa, Mercury Revolution, SSX Blur, Excite Truck, CoD 3, Mario Strikers etc. Have you? Because I have all these games and there more than entertaining me, my girlfriend, my housemates and everybody who ever steps foot into our house!

In a few days well see if the draught will continue.

Personally I'm gonna buy either CoD or Heatseeker, plus maybe Daytona usa for my old DC...

Excellent post, H-o-T. I agree, as well, developers and publishers did underestimated the Wii, hence why we have a few gimmicky-esque games. But, look to the future, and what that offers, and we're starting to see the Wii's potential shine through.

we should just get over it.

Amen brother! Life is too short to be whining about stuff like this. Save it until you're pensionable and it's expected of you. :smile:

Why Are We Complaining?

Because we're gamers. It's what we do best.

*Raises hand along with Hero*

Damn right i'm annoyed with this.I want more adventure/RPG games and dammit I want them soon.Though I admit a little smile appeared on my face when I seen Dragon Balde the other day.I mean the only adventure game I have is Twilight Princess,but there really has to be more out there.

I know lots of developers have RPGs in the works,but we've heard next to nothing about for over a year now.I mean yea there's Dragon Quest but isn't a proper RPG,then there's Final Fantasy which looks lovely but no date even for Japan and Europe aren't gonna see those anytime soon.

We really need more,even from Nintendo,up till September there is like only 1 adventure game being Dragon Blade.The Wiis been out for 7 months now so surely developers will have time to do games that aren't mini collections or tacked on controls and they have enough experience to start a proper game.

I seriously hope something is shown at E3,but from that list of games present it doesn't look it.Better be surprises at it.

well if i still only had the wii i would be complaining.. but now I have my wonderfull 360 so everything is just dandy

Amen to that!!!

Gaggle and Dazzy are onto something up there!

Ok, developers clearly never thought the Wii would be half as popular as it is. And so what if they seem to be jumping on the bandwagon a bit late? Better late than never eh, especially if you look at the N64 and Cube. Lets look at the games that are out already though, there are barely any Nintendo games, only Zelda really - which hasnt even quenched your thirst. However, the shelves are full of games from third parties already... ok sure, there's no Half Life or whatever the heck everyone's pining for thats gonna suddenly make everything rosey, but take a chance on something else! Try something new! Its what the Wii's all about! Have some fun with Kororinpa, Mercury Revolution, even the mere mini game-athon of Rayman... there's a good list of games apart from that that are well worth a try as well. :heh:

Chill, just a few more days till Resi 4 and you can kill some stuff again. Sheesh.

TP, Excite Truck, Wario Ware, Godfather, Scarface, Manhunt2, DBZ Tenkaichi2,SSX Blur, Eledees, RE4 and Mario Strikers, I'm not complaining.

So far I've thoroughly enjoyed TP, Excite Truck, Sonic, SSX Blur, Eledees, Mario Strickers. From time to time I've been revisiting Mario Sunshine, WW, Prime, RE4 (hence prob not getting the wii ed) because they're all amazing games, old or not. And then all the VC content too! This is much more quality material than I had in the first year of owning a cube.

If I'm honest, I have been eager to play Super Paper Mario, so the delay has been frustrating, especially as it would have perfectly filled the summer 'hole'. But the thought of having that AND Prime3 AND Galaxy AND Brawl (not to mention Nights, BWii and Sonic and Mario Olympics!) in the run up to xmas is enough in itself to keep me going.

I don't think we should really forbid complaints on this score. We're all still a little perturbed by the fact that the Wii didn't launch with its holy trinity of killer aps (yes, TP was a cube game, accept it). But the positive is that it's made me try out certain games that I wouldn't have had the chance to otherwise.

I like this thread...My brain is whirring with thoughts now :D

Hero, I totally agree with your statement about developers not being ready for the Wii. Current shelf space shows and we also initially saw this with the DS. - Now look at the shelf space the DS occupies. I guess some companies will never learn and I guess it just shows the naivety of the industry in regards to writing off Nintendo products.

Many developers have said nothing but Nintendo games sell on Nintendo consoles. I personally remember Rare selling quite a few units of software on the N64. And I'm sure companies didn't do too bad on the NES or the SNES. How businesses changed when a big-name company like Sony decided to occupy the market. I wonder how long it will be until we hear developers stating innovative, artistic and "out of the box" efforts don't sell on non-Nintendo consoles!

This is why I find myself suddenly respecting EA....They aren't shirking away from Nintendo with "me too" updates. They are trying something new. Would Boogie exist without the Wii? I doubt it. Will EA's franchises be stale in ten years? Probably yes. BUT: It's easier to keep a product that's in the public eye selling well (IE FIFA and Football and Madden). That's why Nintendo have done so well to keep Mario popular. So EA's decision to innovate Madden/FIFA on Wii is brilliant for Wii owners. If EA make money other companies (with franchises) will follow. That's why the Wii is going to keep on getting better. I actually think by Nintendo NOT releasing an original software channel for their NEW products or a download station or lots of software, means more opportunity for other developers. Keep the carrot dangling to users and all...Then when developers are on board WHAM! Add Mii popularity contests, download channels, Brain training channels etc...Then, and only then will Nintendo have truly met potential on the Wii. The DS is already doing its part. Slowly more things were carefully introduced. (Wifi on Mario Kart) Slowly new franchises were added (Brain training). And the same could be said for the console arena..But on a far grander scale. We've seen Mario/Pokemon pioneer WIFI on Wii afterall.

Clever companies don't put all of their eggs into one basket. Nintendo need to raise the bar slowly - not suddenly raise it so high that they can't better their last efforts.

Have faith. Nintendo are on the rise. Iwata hasn't really done much wrong and I don't think he lets his heart rule his head like Yamauchi did.

If past PS2 games appeared on the Wii it would surely be associated with living in the PS2's shadow. If it's Okami or something similar of quality that didn't really sell then I see the point. I think Capcom are being neive on the Okami front. The Wii should stand on it's own feet. When the Wii gets the same games as PS2 they will be ten pound more expensive and consumers will see this and wonder why the justification...A hard one to call for sure. Maybe certain posters wanting more (better?) PS2 ports is just the current mood and when Brawl, Prime, Galaxy, Heroes etc all launch; I don't think we will hear much on this front.

However, Sony will probably relaunch with a PStwo (ala PSone) eventually, maintaining developers interest...Also known as flogging a dead horse. So these Wii-makes may not subside at all.

Sign in to follow this