NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Sonic Games In The Future

*looks at mcj metroids profile*

ITS OK, HES FROM LIMERICK!!!

;):p

(seriously mate, taking the piss, best friend from college is from limerick, shes ace!)

Thats the great thing about opinions though, we all differ, so as long as you have reason for it and arent hurting anyone, who cares? Variety is the spice of lfe!

:)

Sonic and the secret rings: Crap

Sonic Rush: Pretty good.

I REALLY wish I knew when the change from "sonic being able to explore" to "Sonic goes so fast you cant react fast enough" happened.

Id rather someone stuck cement blocks on each of Sonic's feet than blaze through the levels smashing into objects that came so fast you couldn't react...

I know Sonic was fast for its time on the Megadrive but why the heck are they continuing to make these games faster and faster?

The Megadrive ones had it just right, then you get the likes of sonic rush where he goes far too fast... although I did enjoy it, the speed put me off at times.

Sonic games have been getting more and more linear, the classic sonic games had multiple routes to take whereas you get the likes of sonic and the secret rings which have a set path you need to take and doing it at 500mph... and dont say anything about "but it has branching paths!" its no where near the same thing.

Sonic doesn't need to be faster, the reason his games are sucking so much is they put so much emphasise on speed that nothing else seems to matter to them.

Phew... glad I got that off my chest.

*looks at mcj metroids profile*

ITS OK, HES FROM LIMERICK!!!

;):p

(seriously mate, taking the piss, best friend from college is from limerick, shes ace!)

Thats the great thing about opinions though, we all differ, so as long as you have reason for it and arent hurting anyone, who cares? Variety is the spice of lfe!

:)

Oh i know and i respect everyones opinion don't think i'm trying to convert anyone. Sonic is just one of those things i stronly Defend.

My point is it's good but i believe it's 7.8 good rather than 9.0

Lol at your Limerick joke.:) Where you from out of curiousity.?

Sonic and the secret rings: Crap

Sonic Rush: Pretty good.

I REALLY wish I knew when the change from "sonic being able to explore" to "Sonic goes so fast you cant react fast enough" happened.

Id rather someone stuck cement blocks on each of Sonic's feet than blaze through the levels smashing into objects that came so fast you couldn't react...

I know Sonic was fast for its time on the Megadrive but why the heck are they continuing to make these games faster and faster?

The Megadrive ones had it just right, then you get the likes of sonic rush where he goes far too fast... although I did enjoy it, the speed put me off at times.

Sonic games have been getting more and more linear, the classic sonic games had multiple routes to take whereas you get the likes of sonic and the secret rings which have a set path you need to take and doing it at 500mph... and dont say anything about "but it has branching paths!" its no where near the same thing.

Sonic doesn't need to be faster, the reason his games are sucking so much is they put so much emphasise on speed that nothing else seems to matter to them.

Phew... glad I got that off my chest.

That is so true it isn't funny. I personally found Rush too fast for it's own good.

I love fast. I am F-zero gx's biggest fan after all:)

I remember playing Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast and wondering why the hell the game was set in a modern, humanised world. Vast cityscapes just didn't seem to translate well in 3D. I remembered those kind of city-like levels in the Mega Drive versions..Ala Chemical Zone/Starlight zone. But the best aspect of Sonic which has been sadly lost was the element of isolation set against a neon backdrop. The fact you were in Mobius, running through forests, oceans and snowcaps whilst constantly on your way to a technological based nightmare (which was turning your world and the animals into robotic slaves) was hypnotic. It had a real purpose. Dr Robotnick was visualised in every enemy and with the sequals, furry friends helped Sonic get to Robotnick.

These friends gave the game more scope and the balance of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles against Robotnick made Robotnick somehow scarier as it took three characters to rise up. This ideal has since been abolished as Sega seemed to take Sonic's "cool factor" to heart and make him the Bart Simpson of the gaming world - with the characteristics of a seven year old superhero. Adding more characters also seemed to dilute the personalities of the original characters and the innocence of it all. Bring back Green Hill Zone and a moment to really appreciate the design and scope of these levels. Sega, stop making them "too cool" and "too fast" and "too complex". Simplify sonic again (Just like the original Sonic Advance) and lets bring this brilliant character back to the forests, and back to saving his existance in his own world; not ours.

Good post Tapedeck.

I agree about the whole human aspect of the Sonic games. I hate how he is in the human world, he should go back to his own world. I happy with the mentioning of Starlight Zone, I love the music to that stage and often whistle it at work. What was even better one of the lads remembered what it was off!

I will say that I think they should bring the Chao back in the next game as it was a great feature in the otherwise "meh" Adventure series.

I will say that I think they should bring the Chao back in the next game as it was a great feature in the otherwise "meh" Adventure series.

Definitely, I loved the Chao Gardens, especially in Adventure 2. They're just too god damn cute!

Yeah, I remember liking the Chao in Sonic Advance. Killed loads of hours! The Starlight music is still beautiful I agree it's awesome. Which is probably another point: (Get ready....!)

Most memorable OLD Sonic tracks: (not in any particular order!!)

Scrap Brain Zone Sonic 1

Green Hill Zone Sonic 1

Labyrinth Zone Sonic 1

Starlight Zone Sonic 1

Icecap theme from Sonic 3

Carnival Night Zone Sonic 3

Emerald Zone Sonic 2

Green Hill Zone Sonic 1 (Master System version)

Sonic 2 Bonus sage

Sonic R "super sonic racing" song

Most memorable NEW sonic tracks:

Possibly City Escape from Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

See the difference? The rock anthems of the new Sonic games are hideous when put next to the sheer talent of the old classic tunes!! Now get composing something original Sega!!

Scrap Brain Zone Sonic 1

Green Hill Zone Sonic 1

Labyrinth Zone Sonic 1

Starlight Zone Sonic 1

Sonic 2 Bonus sage

I can remember and easily whistle each and every one of those tunes, classics!

I have to admit though that I do like alot of the vocal tracks from the new games, I even imported the Sonic Heroes: Triple Threat CD from play-asia a while back. My favourites are...

Open Your Heart

Sonic Heroes

What Im Made Of

I'll have to hunt them down ma man, you seem to know your stuff!

I love Escape from the city...The clever use of lyrics in relation to level IE:

"Rolling around at the speed of sound, got nowhere to go, gotta follow my rainbow"...It's clever. I like the aspect of songs to levels..Maybe if some puzzles were only solveable via listening to the tracks..Maybe that would be good (Note to self...Develop this idea!).

Overall, I just wish Sega would make Sonic almost, innocent again.

Didnt they say they changed from Dr Robotnik because it was too sinister for little kids or some crap?

His Japanese name was always Eggman. In the English versions he was called Dr Robotnik up until Sonic Adventure 2 when they decided to change his name to Eggman. Though why I don't know the reason behind this. Most likely for consistancy with the Japanese version. He's still the same guy really.

There were various references to his name Eggman in SA1, such as Eggman Empire, and Sonic and Co. calling him Eggman.

Yeah, I remember liking the Chao in Sonic Advance. Killed loads of hours! The Starlight music is still beautiful I agree it's awesome. Which is probably another point: (Get ready....!)

Scrap Brain Zone Sonic 1

Green Hill Zone Sonic 1

Labyrinth Zone Sonic 1

Starlight Zone Sonic 1

Emerald Zone Sonic 2

Green Hill Zone Sonic 1 (Master System version)

Sonic 2 Bonus sage

Most memorable NEW sonic tracks:

Possibly City Escape from Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

See the difference? The rock anthems of the new Sonic games are hideous when put next to the sheer talent of the old classic tunes!! Now get composing something original Sega!!

I could never agree more than with this guy has said.

The music in the old sonic games was incedible and surpassed mario games even.

Then i hear people saying the music is awesome in sonic rush? It was?:)

I dont remember any tracks from Sonic Rush on the DS, yet I remember the Megadrive tunes in a heartbeat. Maybe that's with being younger and becoming hypnotised with games seems simpler. Maybe it's the fact that the DS doesn't lend itself to immersion in the same way as a home console can...Who knows. All I know is that the Megadrive tunes are still unbeatable today and I doubt we will ever see Sega as good as they were in the 90's. Which is a terrible thing. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

My favourites are...

Open Your Heart

Sonic Heroes

Indeed the Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes intro's are great! as is City Escape!

HeY GuYz ArEnT wE fOrGeTiNg SHADOW DA HEDGEHOG!!!!!

but seriously that game failed, best sonic game was the orginal or gba port, sonic advance was fun, and when you connected it up to the cube and had chao gardens, that was awesome. Sonic rush was a good game, just far too short imo, a lot of fun, but there was no replay value there, multiplayer was dire as well. Loved the 3-d/2-d boss battles, my personal favourite bit of the game. Sonic and the secret rings has been getting good-ish reviews, i was going to pick it up at one time and then realised that i was not going to pay over £30 for it. i think sega is finally starting to realuse that they have failed with the sonic series for a little while and are now starting to recover.