NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
jammy2211

Are the Xbox 360 / Playstation 3 holding the industry back?

No! All three consoles aim to advance the market, just in different directions. The Wii into the mainstream and none gamers, the 360 into the field of online games and hardcore PC like gaming, the PS3 into hi-tech home entertainment.

Different direction =/= good directions.

I give up on this anyway, have fun playing your high budget FPS's. I'll be worried for you all, cause games like Guitar Hero won't ever exsist this gen thanks to Sony and Microsoft.

I give up on this anyway, have fun playing your high budget FPS's. I'll be worried for you all, cause games like Guitar Hero won't ever exsist this gen thanks to Sony and Microsoft.

Are you saying sony and M$ are against Games like gitar hero or did i misunderstand you?

rock band am cry

lol, man, same thing. They didn't introduce it to console gaming either. Consoles in the 70's had analog sticks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick

So I checked out your link and saw that it says about the Interton VC4000 having an analogue stick. However, it also states in the paragraph prior to that, that an analgue stick is sometimes confused with a joystick...

I then go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interton_VC_4000 and see that the pad consists of a 12-key keypad, 2 fire buttons and a joystick

I don't really care if I'm wrong, but you had said that I had said Nintendo invented the analgue stick whereas I was simply referring to them bringing it into console gaming... granted, if they weren't the first to introduce it, they certainly were first to make it mainstream... which is still more than Microsoft have done with Xbox Live (which was the only point I was making)!

...sorry if I sound like I've gone on some mad defensive rant there, I've not meant to, just that you said I was implying something that I totally wasn't!

Are you saying sony and M$ are against Games like gitar hero or did i misunderstand you?

I'm saying like games as innovative and unique as Guitar Hero won't happen on them. No one is going to develope a game for $30 million, when somehting like guitar hero could have flopped and not sold.

They would take a risk like that on the Wii developement costs, (or ps2 as it was for GH) but no one will take those sorts of risks, and projects as great a Guiter Hero won't dare be risked for X360 / Ps3.

I'm saying like games as innovative and unique as Guitar Hero won't happen on them. No one is going to develope a game for $30 million, when somehting like guitar hero could have flopped and not sold.

They would take a risk like that on the Wii developement costs, (or ps2 as it was for GH) but no one will take those sorts of risks, and projects as great a Guiter Hero won't dare be risked for X360 / Ps3.

Its no more inivotive than Buzz on the PS2. And yes what about rock band? (I am 100% this game will flop) Granted its borrowing some ideas but its still innovating.

What?

Guitar Hero III and Rock Band are being developed for 360 and PS3. They arn't risky at all compared to stuff like Katamari which is going to be on 360 and not the Wii.

People really need to stop and think around here.

The reason I havn't bought a Wii is because the only game thats out that I want is Zelda and the only games I'm intrested in are the big budget Nintendo games.

Guitar Hero isn't that innovative anyway, it's a rythmn game with a guitar, thats preety much it.

What?

Guitar Hero III and Rock Band are being developed for 360 and PS3. They arn't risky at all compared to stuff like Katamari which is going to be on 360 and not the Wii.

GH = tried and tested formula which they know will work, RB is slightly risky as the price is high and whats stopping you from buying GH2.

Putting Katamari out on the 360 is a risk but it is nessasry we need more games that arent FPS and racing games on the 360.

Yeah, GH will most likely flop on the Xbox360 and Ps3...... *Looks at GH2 Xbox 360 sales number and gaming score* Oh wait....

Yeah, GH will most likely flop on the Xbox360 and Ps3...... *Looks at GH2 Xbox 360 sales number and gaming score* Oh wait....

but xbox is only for teh immature gun games, come to the wii the land of innovation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please stop about innovation. The DS was innovative but I don't think the Wii is.

I've probably played more Arcade games than actual 360 games and Gears of War is definately not immature.

I hate it how it's like some of you just have sterotypical views of everything bar Nintendo.

As Hero-Of-Time said, all three companies tend to be going in different directions. That, in itself, is good for the consumer, more choice, etc.

The worrying thing about Xbox Live, for me anyway, is that Sony are more or less cottoning on to it and are aiming to offer something similar. Not saying they're stealing anything before the Sony d00des jump on me, just saying what I think.

To the question in hand, are the systems holding the industry back: I think both yes and no. (a cop out, I know)

When you think about how much money goes into a game, is it any wonder that smaller studios are going bust? I think that in itself has to change. We need games to come from both big companies and small ones, as variation is the key.

One thing I've noticed is that the Wii is getting quite a lot of third party support, much more so than the Gamecube. Not a week goes by where we don't hear about new games for the future, and now we're getting to the point of third parties offering online play (EA), so Nintendo are definitely improving.

To me, anyway, I think the 360 has hit a bit of a standstill. Xbox Live is great, but when I think to the future, I don't think I can see anything beyond that. Where will they go from there? Couple that with the fact that Sony are trying to offer something similar.

Sometimes, with the 360 and PS3, I don't think we've hit a new generation of systems, but rather an extension of the last one. The Wii has not yet reached its potential, with regards to the controller and other features of the console, but we're starting to see it shine through. New games are getting announced all the time, quirky games, and this is what will guarantee its success.

To me, anyway, I think the 360 has hit a bit of a standstill. Xbox Live is great, but when I think to the future, I don't think I can see anything beyond that. Where will they go from there? Couple that with the fact that Sony are trying to offer something similar.

Its interesting that you should say that because Gamecentral ( channel 4 txt ) recently said the same thing in regards to the 360.

They had an article saying how microsoft have really done a great job with the Xbox/360 so far but what is going to happen in the future. They went on to say how the 360 will struggle to get more new gamers as it has kind of got itself into a hardcore rut where only hardcore gamers are buying the machine/games. Basically only those who want to own more than 1 machine.

Its funny thinking about it because Microsoft and Sony were saying how everyone would buy their consoles and then pick up a Wii for their 2nd choice, Nintendo has clearly turned the tables on that theory!

You're not even reading what I'm saying. Guitar Hero is an example of a game which came out of nowhere and HArmoxiner took the risk to develope because the costs were so low. It's turned out to be one of the best selling games of the decade and will next be on the 360, PS3, PS2 and Wii.

The point I'm making is, companies won't risk these sorts of projects, these sorts of games that have never been heard of. Guitar Hero 3 can because it's a proven seller now and has a huge fanbase, but would Harmonixer have made Guitar Hero if to make one game it would have cost $30 million? No, not a chance in hell. That's the point I'm making, companies are in a position where they can't afford the risk of making something new or different, or innovative, because the losses ahead of them are so great.

Please don't reply if you didn't read all of my original post, I'm having to cover everythign I explained pretty simply in it. I've not yet seen a post which seems to have nothing to do with my original point, sigh.

Please stop about innovation. The DS was innovative but I don't think the Wii is.

I've probably played more Arcade games than actual 360 games and Gears of War is definately not immature.

I hate it how it's like some of you just have sterotypical views of everything bar Nintendo.

I'm not saying the Wii itself is innovative, I'm saying as a platform is offers companies of all sizes the opportunity to develope innovative and unique games. The combination of extremely low developement costs, a diverse and growing userbase, the motion controls and the very easy hardware to develope for make the Wii a great platform to make innovative games.

A console can only be as innovative as it's software, all I'm saying is the Wii is a console which allows companies to innovate whereas the other 2 don't.

Well I'd say Viva Pinata, and Little Big Planet shows we will have these games. And stop talking as if Nintendo are the only company doing anything for this industry. They're not.

Well I'd say Viva Pinata, and Little Big Planet shows we will have these games. And stop talking as if Nintendo are the only company doing anything for this industry. They're not.

That's not the point he's trying to make. I actually agree with him. Basically, he's saying that if the risk is too high, 9 times out of 10 the developer won't go for it. Even lesser odds if the developer is lesser known.

That's not the point he's trying to make. I actually agree with him. Basically, he's saying that if the risk is too high, 9 times out of 10 the developer won't go for it. Even lesser odds if the developer is lesser known.

Ok, but why is he saying the Wii is the only console that allows a developer to innovate? I generally agree with the cost side of things, but that is why I'm totally behind the decision of not making Wii a HD console as the games on it just wouldn't happen. What I disagree with is saying the Wii is the only place to do this.

You're not even reading what I'm saying. Guitar Hero is an example of a game which came out of nowhere and HArmoxiner took the risk to develope because the costs were so low. It's turned out to be one of the best selling games of the decade and will next be on the 360, PS3, PS2 and Wii.

The point I'm making is, companies won't risk these sorts of projects, these sorts of games that have never been heard of. Guitar Hero 3 can because it's a proven seller now and has a huge fanbase, but would Harmonixer have made Guitar Hero if to make one game it would have cost $30 million? No, not a chance in hell. That's the point I'm making, companies are in a position where they can't afford the risk of making something new or different, or innovative, because the losses ahead of them are so great.

It´s really easy to shout out these statements but you really need more then just speculations to proof your point......

Even though it looks like small developers are going to have a harder time dosen´t mean they are going to stop

Harmonix had been making rythmn games for a while and had achieved a cult status, Harmonix are taking a big risk with Rock Band and it's only on 360 and PS3. They have EA and MTV backing them yet it will be a tough sell.

I hate how people think innovation is when something is completely different and new. Xbox Live is innovative since it allowed you to have a common name across all your games and be able to play with your friends with jumping through a lot of hoops. Compare that to pc gaming at the moment where you have to find the server, talk to your friends via external applications etc.

Something innovative isn't usally something new more a different way of thinking how to make it better.

Ok, but why is he saying the Wii is the only console that allows a developer to innovate? I generally agree with the cost side of things, but that is why I'm totally behind the decision of not making Wii a HD console as the games on it just wouldn't happen. What I disagree with is saying the Wii is the only place to do this.

I think he was implying the general development cost of games, although I haven't read this thread word for word, so I cannot be entirely sure.

The Wii is the only console which allows developers to innovate under a budget. End of the day all developers are businesses, and they're primary goal is to make money. No one is going to risk $30 million developement costs to try an unproven game. Sure, companies could innovative on the 360 / ps3, but if anyone ever finds a publisher willing to back that sort of financial venture it'll be a miracle.

It´s really easy to shout out these statements but you really need more then just speculations to proof your point......

Even though it looks like small developers are going to have a harder time dosen´t mean they are going to stop

They're not stopping, they're all moving to the Wii.

And I don't see what is speculation, tons of copanies have spoken out about the high developement costs.

I've already said about LittleBigPlanet in the first post. As I said, please don't respond if you're not even going to bother to read the first post, as it seems most of you have done so.

Either way, there is a much much larger amount of games coming out on 360 that I'm excited for than I am on Wii.

And guess what the games I'm excited for on Wii are? Mario, Smash Bros and Metroid. All old franchises, 2 of which have been around for, oh, only 20 years.

There's also No More Heroes, although that's the exception rather than the rule.

Developers may be making more Wii games, but all their serious efforts are still geared towards the HD consoles.

Sign in to follow this